• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I reached the end of the tram line and stopped. Opening the automaton was a little more difficult than I thought. Certainly more to it than knowing the right combination. The whole Oscar chase scene was unnecessary. Perhaps one or two parts of it to make you think you were going to catch him. But the rest of it was the time-consuming equivalent of a maze. If the game was not going to let you catch him, it should have shown him jumping down a drain hole. Which is essentially what happened.

Edit: Managed to make my way to the refuge, and am now, again, playing as Dana. Whatever is going on here, and I just made the transition from Kate to Dana, looks nothing like what was promised in the offer of employment letter.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

How is the game performance inside the lodge for you? It’s the one part of the game that took a big hit in framerate when I played.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PlanetX - 14 April 2022 09:58 AM

How is the game performance inside the lodge for you? It’s the one part of the game that took a big hit in framerate when I played.

Hit or miss. Specific actions, such as pouring drinks from the kegs, is standard fare. However, moving from place to place, or initiating conversations (e.g. clicking on hotspots,) is much slower. I didn’t seem to have this problem outside the lodge, i.e. playing as Kate on the veranda. We’ll see ho it goes. I’ve only been playing about 20 minutes.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m back to playing Kate. I guess my time as Dana at the refuge is over. I should elaborate on my earlier comment. Trying to serve the drinks to the scientists was infuriating. I wish I knew what the secret was, but I don’t, other that painstaking trial and error until I finally found my way to the end of the table. The other puzzles in this location were relatively simple. As least they were so far. I still have some exploring to do as Kate.

Far more listening than doing so far.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Am finished at the refuge for now. (I don’t know if I will have to return later.) The puzzles were fair. I won’t say they were easy, but they didn’t cause me to lay awake at night looking/thinking of possible solutions.

Not sure how I think of the Dana/Lon relationship angle. I guess you could think of it as a reasonable result of mutual attraction. Or you can think of it as a result of predatory behavior by a man at lest ten years older than Dana. Either way, I don’t see a good ending.

I did like the identity switching. Although at one point Kate says of a task, “I think Dana could do this.” And I thought, “How could she think Dana could read thoughts from 50 years in the past/furure?” Not sure which one it should be. It’s the only occasion so far where I have been forced to suspend belief.

So it’s back to the room to rest before continuing the search.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It’s off to the Music Academy. But, before I get on the tram, I have a few thoughts about my visit to the refuge.

Does any find it strange that through all her investigating at the refuge, the one question that wasn’t asked by Kate was how did Leni end up in her wheel chair. Was it an accident? It was explained how she received the wheel chair, but not why she needed it.

I was also interested in Leni’s obsession with cameras. Even if they were “borrowed” from Junta. Leni is the right age to later become a photographer for the Brown Shirts. I’m sure designers were well aware that the most famous cinematographer in the Nazi era was Leni Riefenstahl. Perhaps that coincidence will be explained later in the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

rtrooney - 18 April 2022 11:54 AM

Does any find it strange that through all her investigating at the refuge, the one question that wasn’t asked by Kate was how did Leni end up in her wheel chair. Was it an accident? It was explained how she received the wheel chair, but not why she needed it.

I just assumed she was too old to walk. But then she’s not THAT old.

I agree Leni’s backstory could have been explained better.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Charophycean - 18 April 2022 09:16 PM
rtrooney - 18 April 2022 11:54 AM

I just assumed she was too old to walk. But then she’s not THAT old.

I agree Leni’s backstory could have been explained better.

All I can say is keep playing.
That’s very general and vague, but I spoiler tagged it anyway just in case.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

... you really don’t just walk up to somebody and be like “hey, by the way, how did you end up in a wheel chair?” Especially since as far as I remember at some point that person gets pretty grumpy about being asked questions about the past, so I don’t think Kate would have gotten an answer at that point anyway.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Pyoro-2 - 19 April 2022 06:28 AM

... you really don’t just walk up to somebody and be like “hey, by the way, how did you end up in a wheel chair?” Especially since as far as I remember at some point that person gets pretty grumpy about being asked questions about the past, so I don’t think Kate would have gotten an answer at that point anyway.

Kate doesn’t seem to have a problem speaking her mind. When she gets to the University, one of the question options to Mahler is “Are you mad?” Which I took in the “insane” rather than “angry” meaning of the word.

Anyway, re-building the automaton orchestra is the task at hand, which I think will make the sequence the longest to-date.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve just finished the game in just under 19 hours with 70% achievements.
Sometimes missing achievements can mean missing details in the narrative but I’m not sure that’s the case here as all aspects were explained…. I think?

I loved the very well constructed & thoughtful story which I found especially intriguing as it reflected real-life events which for me drove the game. So although the well-integrated puzzles, although interesting, weren’t so challenging I found that they didn’t interfere with the flow.

The game seemed to be a perfect balance between exploration, narrative & puzzles with gorgeous graphics & voice-acting - a wonderful swansong for Benoit Sokal.

On conclusion I did think there was the potential for a talented team appreciative of Sokal’s work to produce a worthy sequel.

I did have some reservations to start with about the interactive mechanics of moving stuff i.e. clicking & grabbing e.g. a drawer to open it. I’ve found that idea too cumbersome in other games I’ve come across but for the most part in this one it is quite forgiving except having to use a circular motion could be difficult for some players with dexterity problems.
Smile

Total Posts: 1082

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

What a mess of a story,i was expecting to continue Kate’s discovery at sanatorium but story took a monkey act(which is metaphorically funny too) and things become harder to relate after that.
One interesting detail,Sokal’s drawing of the gorun looks like some indigenous people but 3d model is looks like just another sasquatch.

Finally after nonsensical sequels,STWB is how Syberia 2 should’ve been,its a relief but let’s hope afterwise Kate won’t find out that Mr.Ludwig actually her real grandfather in next installment.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m stuck at the woodwind puzzle at the university. I’ve looked at a video WT, but that doesn’t do much good since the person doing the WT does a lot of backtracking and start-overs. Which are difficult to duplicate. The fact that the template has age stains, and it appears some maintenance grease has covered up a clue or two as well. I wish this was one of those puzzles where a partial correct solution locks in place. But that doesn’t seem to be the case. The other three (?) puzzles: clock tower and two disc puzzles have been solved. Once the woodwind gets solve, then it’s time to start the piano!

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

One negative about the game for me was not being able to make your own saves otherwise I would have played through that part to be able to offer a better hint!
But from what I remember the puzzle seems more complex than it actually is. To arrange the right ‘instrument’ I found easy but I don’t know that you can do that first as I didn’t realise at the time that there were two parts.

For the left side if you concentrate on the separate sections I think it’s just the top one that has the smudge on the reference? Whatever I found the puzzle much easier than how it initially presents.  Smile

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

chrissie - 22 April 2022 02:45 PM

One negative about the game for me was not being able to make your own saves

Agree, there were definitely parts I wanted to re-play!

In the last patch they did add a way to go back to each checkpoint, kinda. But it involves editing the save files.

If you go to “C:\Users\*UserName*\AppData\Roaming\SyberiaTWB” there are now save files for each chapter you’ve reached, labeled things like “save_05_Segment_Present03.bin.” Though these only started being made after the first patch, so if you played before then you need to re-play.

To use them, you need to backup then delete “save.bin” (that’s the file the game is currently loading). Then rename the segment you want as “save.bin”. When you open the game you’ll be back at that part when you hit continue. The only way to un-do this is to restore the save.bin you backed up.

This is far, far, from ideal. They really should add a simple load function. But at least it’s something for now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top