• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckyLady KestrelSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PlanetX - 25 March 2022 11:34 AM

Yes, there’s one significant question left to the imagination. But I’d consider a cliffhanger to be the kind of ending that requires a continuation to be a complete story. There are interesting ways they could continue Kate’s journey from here, but TWB4 does tell a complete story.

While I haven’t started the game yet, I see no problem with the idea that there might be a Syberia 5. Sokol was, after all, primarily a graphic designer. So the look and feel of his games was his doing. But it is obvious from comments here that others, or, more likely a team of others, have been able to capture his style. My only hope is that this team of others take this ability seriously, and don’t start producing new games just because they can.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

rtrooney - 27 March 2022 07:32 PM

Yes, there’s one significant question left to the imagination. But I’d consider a cliffhanger to be the kind of ending that requires a continuation to be a complete story. There are interesting ways they could continue Kate’s journey from here, but TWB4 does tell a complete story.

While I haven’t started the game yet, I see no problem with the idea that there might be a Syberia 5. Sokol was, after all, primarily a graphic designer. So the look and feel of his games was his doing. But it is obvious from comments here that others, or, more likely a team of others, have been able to capture his style. My only hope is that this team of others take this ability seriously, and don’t start producing new games just because they can.

Good point, with solid sales of Syberia 4, they should take a look at another game now that we know Kate can have seemingly endless adventures.

Time will tell, Microids could surprise us once again.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2004-01-17

PM

Beat this over the weekend. It was a beautiful experience. Best in the series since part 1, easily, and a huge improvement over Syberia 3. Total playtime was about 13-14h. So not that long, but not super short.

I played on the GeForce Now streaming service, since it was a bit sluggish on my PC. Streaming worked well. I’ll be interested in an eventual console release, as the controls seemed to have gamepads in mind. But mouse was OK.

“Cliffhanger” ending is very much in line with Syberia 1. Leaves you wondering what happens next, but the arc of this story is done. If this is the last Syberia, it’s a fitting end. But if they make another there could certainly be more adventures.

Gameplay is mostly pretty easy, with the occasional difficult puzzle. Most are interesting and well integrated. Got stuck on a couple when I had the right solution, just the interface or feedback was a bit weird. In-game hint system usually got me back on track.

Most importantly, it was a beautiful and poetic story well told, like the first game. And it examines Kate’s character in a way we haven’t since 2002. There were many emotional moments, especially when considering I’ve been on this journey for 20 years.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Adv_Lvr - 28 March 2022 09:26 AM
rtrooney - 27 March 2022 07:32 PM

Good point, with solid sales of Syberia 4, they should take a look at another game now that we know Kate can have seemingly endless adventures.

Time will tell, Microids could surprise us once again.

Heart

I don’t agree. That suggests turning Syberia into a profit machine. Sales can be one factor but only alongside the appropriateness of continuing the story, what a new game can add in regard to innovation and what it has to say as well as honoring of Sokal’s memory and his existing games, actual demand in a few years time for a new game (maybe most of us are happy with this ending), and so on.

AKA Charo

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Charophycean -

date=“1648516832”
I don’t agree. That suggests turning Syberia into a profit machine. Sales can be one factor but only alongside the appropriateness of continuing the story, what a new game can add in regard to innovation and what it has to say as well as honoring of Sokal’s memory and his existing games, actual demand in a few years time for a new game (maybe most of us are happy with this ending), and so on.

What part of

My only hope is that this team of others take this ability seriously, and don’t start producing new games just because they can.

did you not understand?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I suppose you agree about that?

I was away for the weekend visiting friends and this very topic came up during bicycle trip.

Well, not Syberia, or sales, or the means of production in relation to art and entertainment, but the main thing I suspect was behind Charophycean’s comment:

the fallacy of endless adventures in a marketable universe.

I still have to play the first two games. Possibly the third, or not. It’s one of the gaps in my AG history class and it’s next in line, followed by (gasp) Grim Fandango.

I’m completely new to Syberia, save for using a screenshot in a quiz here and there. But from the offset, I like the idea this isn’t an infinite metaverse of sequels, prequels and point of view reversals. Might check this game out, but I’ll dig into the discussion in this thread and play the first game before I decide.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Yo that perfect score tho! Well deserved from the team at Microids. (even if I’d rate it a smidge lower, myself)

I hope that Microids Studio Paris continues to make beautiful and heartfelt adventure games for the foreseeable future. And I’m also optimistic about what their new studio will do with the recently acquired Agatha Christie license.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Wow strong praise for this game! It’s so great to see this series come back after the disappointment of the third one. I think we’ll definitely see this one picking up some Aggies this year.

I’ll probably pick it up in an end of the year sale and maybe start the new year off by replaying the whole series.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

rtrooney - 28 March 2022 10:07 PM
Charophycean -

date=“1648516832”

What part of

My only hope is that this team of others take this ability seriously, and don’t start producing new games just because they can.

did you not understand?

Huh? You wrote that. I was replying to Adv_Lvr and her/his comment.

AKA Charo

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

TheLongestJourney - 29 March 2022 05:52 PM

Wow strong praise for this game! It’s so great to see this series come back after the disappointment of the third one. I think we’ll definitely see this one picking up some Aggies this year.

I’ll probably pick it up in an end of the year sale and maybe start the new year off by replaying the whole series.

This sites review is up. 5 stars:

“Our Verdict:
Syberia: The World Before is a wonderful return to form for Benoît Sokal’s venerable series.  Beautiful, engaging, and moving, it’s the strongest chapter in Kate Walker’s journey yet.
Classic

The Good:
Compelling, emotional story
Top-notch production values
Seamlessly integrated puzzles and challenges
Excellent voice cast
Haunting musical score

The Bad:
Oscar is underused
Introspection dialog is heavy-handed”

Called it the best Syberia yet. A very good read.

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

@chrissie

Game loaded well. Despite the in-game tutorials, I found some of the controls difficult to understand e.g. the need to trace the outline of the skip button rather than simply click on it. Also hold the right mouse button to adjust the camera (move mouse to right to pan left) seems a little counter intuitive. But, I’m sure the more you play, the more the controls become second nature. At least that’s my hope.

The graphics are stunning. Little things like the shadow on the side of the tram as it passed in front of a sun-blocking building was incredible.

I stopped just after the transition to the salt mine. We’ll se how well the auto-save function works.

Hope to play more over the weekend.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

rtrooney - 30 March 2022 03:54 PM

@chrissie

Game loaded well. Despite the in-game tutorials, I found some of the controls difficult to understand e.g. the need to trace the outline of the skip button rather than simply click on it.

I think you’ve misunderstood, you don’t need to trace the outline. Just click and hold down the mouse button. It’s to avoid accidentally skipping scenes by misclicking.

The outline around the button just shows how long you need to hold.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PlanetX - 30 March 2022 04:36 PM

I think you’ve misunderstood, you don’t need to trace the outline. Just click and hold down the mouse button. It’s to avoid accidentally skipping scenes by misclicking.

The outline around the button just shows how long you need to hold.

Thanks. I’m not sure I misunderstood. Perhaps I didn’t understand at all. By just holding the mouse button down and attempting to trace the outline I held the mouse over the button long enough to achieve the desired result. Thus thinking I was doing it correctly when I was not. I don’t recall seeing a “clear” explanation of this control. Emphasis on the word “clear”.

As for the camera thing, I guess I understand. If you’re looking through the viewfinder on a SLR and move the left side of the camera body to the right (counter clockwise.) the camera lens will turn to the left. So I understand it, but still think it is counter intuitive.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

PlanetX - 29 March 2022 11:58 AM

Yo that perfect score tho! Well deserved from the team at Microids. (even if I’d rate it a smidge lower, myself)

I hope that Microids Studio Paris continues to make beautiful and heartfelt adventure games for the foreseeable future. And I’m also optimistic about what their new studio will do with the recently acquired Agatha Christie license.

Yes, I’m looking forward to future games by Microids, now that we know beyond a doubt they can produce the finest quality games. Even if they never do another Syberia game, their future is bright.

Heart

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

So annoying,,even hints option is off Kate and Oscar keep giving you hints.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top