• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Jdawg445shanethewolf

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Syberia: The World Before

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Still playing the game…slowly. Am back playing Dana in her parents’ store. I don’t find the hints intrusive, but I also don’t find them particularly useful. Example: I find the pencil and a piece of paper. I try to use the pencil on the paper to write the letter. Hint says I need to use a pen. So, after opening several drawers, I find the pen. I try to use the pen on the previously-found paper. No go. Turns out I have the pen and paper to write the letter. Just not the “right” paper. I’ve been through these puzzles in other games where you have exactly what you need to perform a task. Just not the items the game designers think you need. How many games have you played where you have a screwdriver in your inventory, and say “Aha! this is what I need to remove the screw from the panel.” Only to find that designer had other thoughts and wants you to find a coin to perform that task. I think it’s bad design.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1082

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I think who’s supposed to solve mechanical puzzles no doubt can find what’s where and when to get(thanks to auto hotspots) without saying it.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 415

Joined 2007-12-29

PM

ah, that is exactly why I stopped playing so many games.“puzzles in other games where you have exactly what you need to perform a task. Just not the items the game designers think you need. How many games have you played where you have a screwdriver in your inventory, and say “Aha! this is what I need to remove the screw from the panel.” Only to find that designer had other thoughts and wants you to find a coin to perform that task. I think it’s bad design.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Well in the scenario from Syberia The World Before, the motivation is specifically to write a letter that will make a good impression on her future employer. So it’s not quite the same as a puzzle that wont let you use a sensible alternative for no good reason at all.

Plus, this is like one of the easiest puzzles in all of gaming history. It’s basically just reminding the player that item use exists early on in the game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not sure what you mean by easiest. Or for that matter how you should be able to deduce that your failure to solve the puzzle is because the paper you think is the right paper is the wrong paper.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

What’s confusing about the statement “one of the easiest?”

Plus Syberia The World Before has a streamlined interface that only brings up the option to use items on relevant hotspots.

So, the only thing you can use items on is the right hotspot and there’s two items to try. In addition to that you’re in a single room and there are multiple line reads, without even touching the hint system, that tell you what to do. If that’s not a dead easy puzzle I, don’t know what is.

What other paper were you even trying to use? I just replayed this part and the only other papers in the room are letters, sheet music, a pamphlet, and a diploma. But nothing you’d write on. There’s one blank paper.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

Finished the game yesterday. I feel like I played quite slowly, listening to everything, reading everything (which was extra fun as I speak German), not skipping anything. Took me 22h30m total, which is impressive for an adventure game.

I guess I’ll sum up my thoughts:

Graphics: I just love the art deco(?) stuff. Game really is beautiful most of the time, and all the locations (of which there an impressively varying lot!) are done to such enormous detail, with all those little details put into the scene.
Unfortunately, characters and character animations aren’t quite on the same level. Still look fine, but if you compare to let’s say Life is Strange 2 you can tell the difference.

Puzzles: Way to friggin’ easy. I don’t consider myself a good p&c player, though of course I got some experience with these games. But I don’t think I had to stop to think about any one thing at any point. I didn’t get stuck a single time for the main task, not even with the classic “I must have overlooked something” (that did happen with trying to find some of the introspection spots, very briefly). There’s multiple locations where the puzzle was obvious before you even got to do it (like that you’d have to clean the memorial to see all the names).
I’ll also say that some of the puzzles felt very “artificial”. Like, you are at a location, there’s really no deep reason for the protagonist to solve anything, so there’s just something randomly inserted so you’ve got something to do.
What I did enjoy is interacting with all the objects in such an organic way; instead of just “click -> open”, opening the latches, then dragging the mouse to open it ... kinda liked that, but no excuse not to have proper puzzles too.

Story: Overall good in quality, but I found it weirdly predictable - I think I genuinely foresaw effectively all major plot points long before they were explained, one way or another - sometimes momentarily too simplistic, ultimately kinda too depressing, and the end left me a tiny bit sour on the game.
Loved all the characters though.

To explain a bit more in detail:
Predictability: Given the obv historic background for Dana I don’t think it actually can be avoided that you’d know a lot. And some of the things are really just obvious, like Leon surviving in the mountains - of course. Also the sketchy Sanatorium with the baby. Disappointingly, I also immediately predicted what’d happen to Kate’s fellow prisoner ... and what Leni(sp?) would do at some point. It’s all just classic story beats.

Simplicity: normally I wouldn’t have noticed so much, but the game gives this impression of being quite grounded, quite realistic for its chosen setting. And there’s these moments, like in the beginning, where the mine just happens to have the shaft run precisely along the old tunnel and it just takes a few hits to break exactly through so you’re into the tunnel that’s also bizarrely open to the outside, directly adjacent to the mine, yet undiscovered ... it just feels unnecessarily unrealistic, and like way too many coincidences. It’s fine that you escape through a previously undiscovered tunnel. But should have been done better. And imo there’s a lot of key moments that sorta got this small problem.

Depressing: well, given the historic themes ... but also, sometimes it felt kinda unnecessary. Like the famous Vaghen musician, whose story is being burned alive in a fire, along with a ton of people. It didn’t get too bad but I wouldn’t have minded a few more positive moments in the game.

The End: Well, I just sat there, head buried in my hands, “don’t do it” - again, it was super obvious what’d happen. It’s, btw, also another moment that feels too simplistic - there obv. is no way there’s really a train straight from the Alps to the Himalayas ... even in that fantasy universe.
My gripe - aside from Kate taking so long to figure out the obvious - is the phone call before. Obv. Olivia generally is not very sympathetic. As far as I got dialogue choices I didn’t even bother trying to convince her of anything anymore. But when Kate’s there and calls her telling her she’s coming and whatnot and then not even three minutes later decides otherwise ... that’s to me just being a cruel arse. And I don’t like ending a game on a “I don’t really like my protagonist anymore” note.

Overall I rate this game seven bananas and an apple out of a sack of potatoes.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

PlanetX - 07 April 2022 03:09 AM

What other paper were you even trying to use? I just replayed this part and the only other papers in the room are letters, sheet music, a pamphlet, and a diploma. But nothing you’d write on. There’s one blank paper.

The first paper, which you cannot use the pen with is found on the table in from of the box. You pull it from under a stack of folders.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

rtrooney - 07 April 2022 02:29 PM
PlanetX - 07 April 2022 03:09 AM

The first paper, which you cannot use the pen with is found on the table in from of the box. You pull it from under a stack of folders.

(Minor spoilers for ppl who don’t want to see the letter puzzle)

Maybe you ran into a bug or glitch of some kind because you absolutely can use the pen with that paper. In fact, it’s the only thing you can use it with.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

It was a control issue. Or mechanic. Or whatever you want to call it. Apparently the paper just looked like it was pulled all the way out from under the folder. I touched it again and the “use” icon appeared. Irritating to say the least. I’ve escaped the mine, and have arrived in Vagren (sp?). I’m a little short of 1:50 into the game. The cut scenes are glorious, but I found myself thinking that all I want to do is get on with the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

BTW, there was an interesting reference to the first two games in the motorcycle cut scene. The camera pans a tabletop that includes maps, money, notes and most importantly, a US Passport. Stuff that she would have had in her possession at the beginning of game 3. (Which I did start, but never played to its conclusion because it was so horrible.) But surely would have been confiscated when she was jailed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 229

Joined 2006-03-25

PM

do I need to play 2 and 3 before i get this one? i only played the first one many years ago

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

RockNFknRoll - 09 April 2022 02:17 PM

do I need to play 2 and 3 before i get this one? i only played the first one many years ago

The quick answer is no. There are references to characters in the first two games, but it isn’t necessary to know Kate’s full backstory to complete the new game.

That said, I do recommend playing Syberia I and II sometime in your game-playing career. They are very good games. Avoid game III at all costs. Both I and II were played as Community Playthroughs you might take a look at their threads for background information. The thread can be found here.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 142

Joined 2019-05-03

PM

The game does feature a “summary” too, but it’s frankly more like a trailer montage than anything where you’d actually get a solid “so this happened”. It’s definitely a point in the game where less artistry and more plain technicality would have helped, I think.

And (leaving aside that 1 and 2 are worth playing either way) I do feel you at least should have some connection to Kate. So I wouldn’t say it’s required for the story per se, but it’s certainly something that enhances the experience a little bit.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

I’ve played 1, 2 and 3 and still don’t get Kate’s backstory and who all the characters are. Reading her diary at the start of the game left me confused. But my memory’s notoriously bad and I haven’t played those games for years.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top