• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

CaliMonkJdawg445

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #70: Day of the Tentacle

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I can see few players finished this part, the rest of you, how are you doing? Veovis, Vegetable Party, millenia?

Quote of the Day:

Laverne: “Are you going to use a scalpel?”
Tentacle Doctor: “Of course not!.
Laverne: “Darn… do you want to use mine?
Tentacle Doctor: “Err…no”

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I haven’t continued yet but I don’t think it will take me very long when I do. I’m sure I’ll get to it this weekend.

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I’m pretty sure there’s no way I can join the tentacles on this playthrough,
so I went along and won a beauty contest.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I’m finished with the contest. It is one of the most memorable parts of the game, this took me only 20 minutes now.

I’m at 54% with just under 4 hours played total.

One of the funniest things was the doctor telling Laverne that all the contestants are perfectly healthy… except for the dead one.

I got another interlude with the elder purple tentacle, and his green helper’s subtitles and voice doesn’t seem to match at all, and there are pauses where the sutbtitles seem to try to catch up, this was a second or third time already. People that aren’t using subtitles, are those cut scenes working properly for you? No weird pauses?

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

millenia - 12 February 2022 07:02 PM

I’m finished with the contest. It is one of the most memorable parts of the game, this took me only 20 minutes now.

It’s such a classic set-up, but I think DotT pulled it off better than anything that came before.

I got another interlude with the elder purple tentacle, and his green helper’s subtitles and voice doesn’t seem to match at all(...)

Grin oh I assumed old Purp was the father. He called him “son”, but that was probably a colloquialism.

(I still like the idea, though)

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I’m at 54% with just under 4 hours played total.

One of the funniest things was the doctor telling Laverne that all the contestants are perfectly healthy… except for the dead one.

I got another interlude with the elder purple tentacle, and his green helper’s subtitles and voice doesn’t seem to match at all, and there are pauses where the sutbtitles seem to try to catch up, this was a second or third time already. People that aren’t using subtitles, are those cut scenes working properly for you? No weird pauses?

I have to agree that part with tentacle doctor was hilarious.

About subtitles i think i had a problem once so far that they were late compared to the speaking but other than that everything works great. I m on ps5 though.

Total Posts: 7451

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

diego - 11 February 2022 08:03 AM

I can see few players finished this part, the rest of you, how are you doing? Veovis, Vegetable Party, millenia?

Quote of the Day:

Laverne: “Are you going to use a scalpel?”
Tentacle Doctor: “Of course not!.
Laverne: “Darn… do you want to use mine?
Tentacle Doctor: “Err…no”

That’s one of my favorite Laverne quotes.  Cool
My number 1 is “yoooohoooo, mr Tentacle guuuyyy…” thanks to the wonderful voiceacting. Doesn’t matter how many times I’ve heard it, still makes me smile.

Story about good. Story about bad. - The Neverhood

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I tried with and without subtitles in both modes, but I don’t get any pauses. Are you playing the Steam version?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I occasionally have short pauses as well between sentences. Seems like it’s a subtitle speed issue - the voices have to wait a bit for the subtitles.
Because of the Remaster, there’s no possibility of changing the subtitle speed, though. Something which would have been possible with ScummVM…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

I will open a new playthrough chapter shortly. If anyone have troubles with contest, please state so, and will provide you with the hints.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 519

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve been completely stuck for quite a while trying to win the contest. I’ve no idea how to get the mummy to laugh. I’ve tried to use every object available to Laverne on the mummy. I’ve been trying to figure out what may get the mummy some humor in previous time periods. I’ve been running around squirting disappearing ink on everyone/everything imaginable since that seems to be the thing directly linked with humor in the inventory. Etc. No cigar. And no more ideas.

On the flip side the game is now 64 percent completed.Smile But right now I don’t feel like continuing anyway. Meh  Smile

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Veovis - 15 February 2022 05:08 PM

I’ve been completely stuck for quite a while trying to win the contest. I’ve no idea how to get the mummy to laugh. I’ve tried to use every object available to Laverne on the mummy. I’ve been trying to figure out what may get the mummy some humor in previous time periods. I’ve been running around squirting disappearing ink on everyone/everything imaginable since that seems to be the thing directly linked with humor in the inventory. Etc. No cigar. And no more ideas.

You need to find someone/something that laughs a lot. Does that give you an idea?

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 519

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

TimovieMan - 15 February 2022 06:03 PM

You need to find someone/something that laughs a lot. Does that give you an idea?

Thanks, but not immediately, no. That’s pretty much what I’ve been trying to find. But maybe I’ll get it/find it the next time I play. I’m sure I’ll be feeling stupid when/if I do.

No need to wait for me before continuing the CP. I’ll catch up!

Total Posts: 184

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

Veovis - 16 February 2022 10:01 AM

Thanks, but not immediately, no. That’s pretty much what I’ve been trying to find. But maybe I’ll get it/find it the next time I play. I’m sure I’ll be feeling stupid when/if I do.

I got this puzzle randomly by trying things on stuff while i was trying to have some progress with the game. Not sure that my mind would go to this puzzle but after you have solved the puzzle makes sense. Anyway the tip given in spoiler is pretty good.

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Veovis - 16 February 2022 10:01 AM

To give an even bigger level of hint: There is someone, or something, in other time period that laughs or is connected to humor that you can use with the mummy.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top