• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dale

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Siddhi - 18 April 2013 09:00 AM

A Vampyre Story!

^ Seconded.

It’s come very close to being picked twice now. Let’s not have it become the “eternal second”. It’s not Joop Zoetemelk or Jimmy White… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 8998

Joined 2004-01-05

PM

Being my first community playthrough I thought Callahan’s was awesome (I’m trying to get some time to finish it… probably by the weekend).
I’ll vote this time and also for Vampyre Story!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

I propose Obsidian as I promised I’d doSmile

Why not AVS? I feel that the community playthroughs should be reserved for games that are thought-provoking or hard to get into, or hard to solve - basically games that are likely to spark a discussion of same kind (Faust, Bad Mojo, the GK games, The Space Bar, The Last Express etc. - all games that have had a playthrough). While AVS is a fine game, I think a playthrough will be wasted on it (unless people love to incessantly discuss the horrendous puns that Froderick spouts or Mona’s inconsistent accent and views on life).

Why Obsidian?
-Obsidian had excellent reviews across the board, it’s #62 on the on AG’s Top 100 list, and #2 on Fien’s personal top 20 (and we all know she has great taste Grin)

-Obsidian’s a Myst-like for people who hate Myst-likes (like me) because it’s way more than a pretty wrapper for plotless puzzles. It has character development and a plot! Inconceivable, I know! Grin

-Despite what some people might say, the puzzles aren’t that difficult - I found them to be just right and well integrated

-Obsidian’s damn beautiful despite its age

-Surreal! And highly original! The first part of the game in particular has to be the best piece of gaming I’ve experienced.

-Ming-bending and though-provoking (e.g. see this discussion in the old forums but don’t read too much to avoid spoilers Smile)

(-It should also be feasible from a logistic point of view - you can get it easily online. Installing it on a modern machine is not easy but it’s doable - it worked for me.)

Whew. I made my case. Anybody want to second my proposal?

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TerminusEst - 18 April 2013 10:40 PM

I propose Obsidian

Certainly a game that I would like to play (heard some problems with Win7, but nevermind…). But the plain truth is that both two previous playthroughs (The Space Bar, Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon) were humorous first person sci-fi’s and some people (not me!) may need some change. (I know Obsidian is not humorous, but still, it’s a first person sci-fi).

And AVS was not second in votes the last time I checked. That was Shadow of the Comet.

I back both Obsidian and AVS, though I don’t want to lead in any of them (I do recall SweetD wanted to lead a AVS playthrough…).
In fact, I’ll back almost anything.
Perhaps not games that are part of a series (Myst IV, SQ3, etc). Most people who haven’t played those are people who haven’t played any game of the series, thus they need to start these series from the beginning).

My proposals (with me as a playthrough leader):
Amnesia
The Cat Lady
Discworld (the first one)
Dreamfall

My proposals (only if a playthrough leader is available):
Shadow of the Comet
Shivers
Sherlock Holmes & the Serrated Scalpel
AVS
Obsidian

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Sefir - 19 April 2013 05:08 AM

Shivers

My first reaction was to volunteer to lead a playthrough of this, but thinking about it I’m not sure it would work as it is very non linear after you get into the museum (i.e. most of the game!)

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 359

Joined 2012-02-16

PM

Sefir - 19 April 2013 05:08 AM

My proposals (only if a playthrough leader is available):
[...]
Obsidian

I’ll gladly lead the playthrough if people are interested in Obsidian.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

I could make time to play Obsidian again.  Believe it or not, when I played it at it’s release my integrated video on an old Pac Bell wasn’t up to showing the cut scenes, so I had to play just using my imagination most of the time and it was still enjoyable.  When I played it again on a newer pc it was a revelation.  I had always wondered who the character on the box was!  Great Game.

Pretty sure Shivers wouldn’t work, though it’s a very good game.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Please Count me in .. this round.

that if Mr Mighty™ would not mind of course!
i don’t wanna be dragged by bouncers out of the thread

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Are you guys playing AVS or Obsidian? If not, is anyone up for Keepsake? I might be starting it soon…

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

We are just gathering votes and proposals. I haven’t played Keepsake either, so up to this point, I vote for both three games suggested (AVS, Obsidian, Keepsake). I might even lead in AVS if no other leader is available for it.

diego, do you propose yourself for a leader in Keepsake?

I propose an official voting in three days now for the next playthrough game.

Total Posts: 6590

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Well, I could lead it, although I haven’t finished it, either Tongue and I’ll play it this way or another. Perhaps it would be more fair to choose between AVS or Obsidian with a proper leader. I have both on my radar as well, AVS sitting on my hard drive with a saved game somewhere halfway through.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

These are the proposals so far for the next community playthrough:
Vote poeple, vote!! And if there are more proposals (preferably with a leader…), please name them!! Smile

Obsidian: TerminusEst (leader), Sefir, Dara100, diego, TimovieMan, millenia
AVS: Sefir (possible leader), TimovieMan, wilco, Siddhi,CoyoteAG, millenia
Keepsake: diego (possible leader), Sefir, millenia
Amnesia: Sefir (leader), wilco
The Cat Lady: Sefir (leader), wilco, CoyoteAG, millenia
Discworld 1: Sefir (leader), CoyoteAG, millenia
Dreamfall: Sefir (leader), CoyoteAG

Total Posts: 177

Joined 2006-03-28

PM

Sefir - 06 May 2013 09:11 AM

These are the proposals so far for the next community playthrough:
Vote poeple, vote!! And if there are more proposals (preferably with a leader…), please name them!! Smile

Obsidian: TerminusEst (leader), Sefir, Dara100, diego
AVS: Sefir (possible leader), TimovieMan, wilco, Siddhi
Keepsake: diego (possible leader), Sefir
Amnesia: Sefir (leader)
The Cat Lady: Sefir (leader)
Discworld 1: Sefir (leader)
Dreamfall: Sefir (leader)

I vote for Cat Lady as it is sitting on my computer, just waiting for me to play it.

If not then I’m in for any of AVS, Discworld 1, or Dreamfall.

Total Posts: 1555

Joined 2005-12-06

PM

I vote for Discworld 1. I have it and have been meaning to play it for a long while now (I’ve played it once when I was like 9 and with a walkthru basically). Also, I might actually be able to join a community playthrough as long as it doesn’t start right now.

Everything else is okay too - except Amnesia, too scared to touch it. Also I think I might skip Dreamfall as I plan to play it with TLJ a bit later, just before Dreamfall Chapters come out

Currently Playing: Dragon Age Origins: Awakening
Recently Played: Red Embrace: Hollywood, Dorfromantik, Heirs & Graces, AI: The Somnium Files, PRICE, Frostpunk, The Shapeshifting Detective (CPT), Disco Elysium, Dream Daddy, Four Last Things, Jenny LeClue - Detectivu, The Signifier

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Sefir, you can add my name to the Obsidian list. I preemptively ordered it two weeks ago… Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top