• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Florusgrizzlypants

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2022

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Whether you agree or not, i think sleazy isn’t a fair term here and not one i would associate with Doom’s conduct on this forum.

I don’t entirely agree with the sentiment, but decisions were made, chickens came home to roost. Long-time fans and contributors lost things they care(d) about.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Charophycean - 07 February 2023 08:27 PM

Aggies or not, I’m not fond of the pop-up ads I’ve been getting and the site won’t let me use an adblocker.

AdBlocker can be used with every site on the net, it’s not something that the site can allow or disallow. Some sites do have a nagging screen about blocking ads, but that can be blocked too, if you choose to do so!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 07 February 2023 09:17 PM

That’s a fairly sleazy comment. Jack left! For whatever reason! If Aggies don’t continue in the same mode, it is not the fault of current management.

It’s as if a member of a band decides to go solo. The members who are left try to do the best they can, but the music will never be the same.

The members left managed to scare away most of its songwriters, change the band’s stage outfit to second-hand clothing and abandon all of its hits, even the Hype-o-Meter which hasn’t been updated for a whole year. Which mode is it now? Preserving the band’s name?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Jack left! For whatever reason! If Aggies don’t continue in the same mode, it is not the fault of current management.

It’s as if a member of a band decides to go solo. The members who are left try to do the best they can, but the music will never be the same.

Jackal didn’t decide to go solo, he was “let go” by the band. Makes a lot of difference.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Whatever the case, an official 2022 Aggies is probably a lost cause. I do like the idea of making good use of the available experience of forum members.

Let me think on this for a while. Good suggestions are welcome, of course.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Vegetable Party - 08 February 2023 11:45 AM

Whatever the case, an official 2022 Aggies is probably a lost cause.

“I’ve been thinking about it, but i’m not that invested in AG.com anymore and the conclusions drawn in this thread seem pretty negative; if something comes of the ground, i’d be willing to do some excel stuff, but the imitative won’t come from me.”

to:
“I do like the idea of making good use of the available experience of forum members. Let me think on this for a while. Good suggestions are welcome, of course.”

Nobody asked you to organize something but you’re taking the initiative anyway. Amazing.

Total Posts: 5601

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Putting the Aggies together was a monstrous job, and although many people participated in the writing, it was Jack, with his editing and organizational skills, who was the driving force behind it.  Considering the hundreds of hours it took to put the staff’s and members’ lists together, it’s not something I could do, nor would I want to.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Indeed.

It’s not coming back on the short-term because of it, probably never will in that form. Things will change or stagnate and disappear.

Who knows: maybe 2022 will be the year of AG zines.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 08 February 2023 08:13 AM

Jack left! For whatever reason! If Aggies don’t continue in the same mode, it is not the fault of current management.

Jackal didn’t decide to go solo, he was “let go” by the band. Makes a lot of difference.

Yes. That’s why I said “for whatever reason.” It’s also why I commented in a prior post about me getting fired. A notice on the bulletin board said that “Tim was leaving to pursue other opportunities.” Unsaid was the primary pursuit was finding another job.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I don’t understand how your mind works. I find this even more baffling than the Barracuda song.

Total Posts: 5052

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

And neither do I yours. We will always agree to a mutual misunderstanding.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Is it really that hard to organize? I mean, copy-paste last year’s nominations (done), start the voting process and then count the votes? Even I can do it in no time I think, on the site (granted the access) or the forums. Sort the games by the release year (done here), wait for a month or so and count votes. AG’s voting or comments are completely optional.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Doom - 10 February 2023 02:03 PM

Is it really that hard to organize? I mean, copy-paste last year’s nominations (done), start the voting process and then count the votes?

That’s not hard, that’s simply moving numbers.

Arranging the the whole thing, on the other hand, is a lot more work.
For instance, someone has to be the ultimate judge to decide which games qualify to which categories, and those categories that exist don’t necessarily make that much sense.

For instance, “Best Traditional Adventure” seems to be a synonym for point-and-click games, although text adventures are much more traditional (at least by years) than mouse-driven games.

And obviously there are some very meaningful categories which simply don’t exist, probably have never existed, such as “Best Freeware Adventure”, “Best Debuting Developer”, and if it’s meaningful to some people, “Best Mobile Adventure” (makes some sense, as there are even good examples on this forum about recent mobile-only games).

Then again, there’s always the problem with counting votes.
Is it simply adding them up and seeing what gets most? In that case you need a good number of voters, because otherwise there’s not going to be enough separation with the scores.
On the other hand, if you try to have some mathematical formula that for instance gives bigger score to number one votes, and so on, how is that formula going to work then?

Making the whole thing meaningful is not an easy thing to do really.

And ultimately it’s all pointless, because Monkey Island wins most categories anyway.

Even so, I do admit that it’s entertaining to read through such lists.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

GateKeeper - 10 February 2023 04:36 PM

That’s not hard, that’s simply moving numbers.

Arranging the the whole thing, on the other hand, is a lot more work.
For instance, someone has to be the ultimate judge to decide which games qualify to which categories, and those categories that exist don’t necessarily make that much sense.

I see what you mean and I agree, it’s not even a matter of one’s guidance — I watched one of the recent videos at Jack Allin’s new channel where he confessed he hadn’t played most of adventure games from 2022, even The Case of the Golden Idol which topped “The Best Adventure Games of 2022” at his website (it’s hardly Aggies, basically a Top-15).

But, taking the circumstances, I would’ve risked just using the sample from the previous votings to decide which games won which categories according to the visitors, even if Syberia 4 leads the “Best comedy” and Return to MI — the “Best graphics” nom (which, in fact, would be a fascinating category). Of course, more collective work could be invested into arranging things out as long as we all come to an agreement.

My point is, the complete lack of any Aggies only harms the site’s reputation. Aggies are quotable, they attract new visitors, they used to be the prime interaction between the site’s management and members after everything else was banned or reduced to “community reviews” at the bottom of the page. Aggies is the site’s trademark, a celebration of the genre’s achievements and simply a place to express one’s will.

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2023-02-10

PM

Doom - 10 February 2023 05:49 PM

My point is, the complete lack of any Aggies only harms the site’s reputation. Aggies are quotable, they attract new visitors, they used to be the prime interaction between the site’s management and members after everything else was banned or reduced to “community reviews” at the bottom of the page. Aggies is the site’s trademark, a celebration of the genre’s achievements and simply a place to express one’s will.

This is a really important point. I love adventure games, and I come to this website on a semi-regular (biweekly to monthly) basis in order to see what is going on in the genre. The Aggie awards are a big thing to me, giving me a quick view of what is going on in the space and the great games that might have slipped under my radar. I read through it thoroughly several times, and will often revisit the site frequently as I’m playing through the year’s winners to see people’s opinions in the weeks afterwards.

I imagine I’m not the only person who isn’t an active member of the community who does that. I created this account in part to say that having no Aggie awards significantly lowers my interest in regularly coming to this site, and honestly, leaves me in a position where I will need to search for an alternate adventure game hub for that kind of information.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top