• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelLittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Aggies 2022

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Aggies gave prestige to the games that won them. Developers use to announce the Aggies won in their Steam store pages.

Everybody has lost a lot…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

The Aggies are the Adventure Game equivalent of the Oscars, the Emmys, The Tonys and the Grammys. In both a good and bad way. A movie that wins an Oscar has the chance of drawing a new audience to the theater that hadn’t seen the film before. A Grammy-winning record, at least in the popular music categories might boost record sales. An Emmy win might cause a portion of the TV audience to skip their favorite show in order to give something else a try ,,, at least for one night.

On the other hand, most of the award shows have dramatically increased the number of categories that are eligible for an award. To the point where they are so specific you wonder whether three votes is enough to win an award.

There is a set of categories that has pretty much been in place since day one. Adding new categories is only going to lead to acrimony. How can you open a new category for Freeware and not open a category for Casual Games? Leave it as it is!

I’m sure you can find a reasonable list of all games published in 2022 on Moby or a similar site. Compile those lists into a single list that only includes games that can “reasonably” fit into one of the pre-established categories. Then assign those games to the categories where they most belong. Then pare those lists down to no more than ten per category. From which the top five will be chosen.

Then it’s up to someone who wants to step into Jack’s shoes and assign the games to the staff writers who will distill the pros and cons of each game into two paragraphs. From this, either by Jack’s dictate, or some other method, the top five in each category arrive and are presented to the masses, us.

We vote and staff votes. Staff presents the AGGIES, and mention is made as to how the staff choice and the member choice might differ. And then everything is presented in a way that doesn’t offend anyone.

HOLY SHIT!!!!

Does anyone in their right mind want to take on this task. Not me. It was hard enough to just describe it, let alone do it.

So where does that leave us. I think the site can survive a year or two without Aggies. I also think than management underestimated what the AGGIES means to the forum. And I think one immediate managerial tasks they should undertake is finding someone who can bring the Aggies back prominence.

As the prior poster posted in his first post, it’s the reason the site has value.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

rtrooney - 10 February 2023 07:31 PM

Adding new categories is only going to lead to acrimony. How can you open a new category for Freeware and not open a category for Casual Games? Leave it as it is!

Freeware is one of the most obvious categories. If the game costs 1 cent or more, it’s a commercial game, if it’s available free of charge, it’s freeware.

Casual, on the other hand, is very debatable. It’s easier than something else, but what is easy and what is not, depends on the person who’s playing.

Freeware games also need some recognition, because mostly they are just ignored.

As the prior poster posted in his first post, it’s the reason the site has value.

If that’s the case, then the site is doomed.
You only need to visit the site once a year to read the Aggie article.

The rest of the content has more value, if you ask me. I would rather have the Aggies go and have someone bring back “Following Freeware” articles, which attempted to cover those free games that can otherwise be very hard to find.

Total Posts: 1274

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Yeah, Freeware deserves an Aggie. I wrote Ivo when I didn’t see Urban Witch Story (from the same author of Nightmare Frames) in elegible games list for 2020 Aggies and he answered me that it was freeware and freeware was not included. Later on, it won five AGS awards including Best Game Created With AGS.

I have enjoyed some Freeware adventure games much more than commercial games.

Then again, I understand that following Freeware it is a huge task…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m also a big freeware fan, but I think it’s unmanageable as a category. For instance where do you get your freeware contenders from? There are so many places that games can be found and Steam/Gog/Humble/Epic are not going to answer. Sure you can pick out some places like AGS but there will always be accusations of partisanship because you didn’t include the next one.

It’s a nice idea, but unworkable I think.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

GateKeeper - 11 February 2023 03:35 AM

If that’s the case, then the site is doomed. You only need to visit the site once a year to read the Aggie article.

Not at all. If the Aggies can lure the casual observer to visit, even if it’s only once a year, it’s an opportunity to show what other things the forum has to offer.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 724

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

We’ll host the Aggies soon, I’ve prepared a lot already. Some things tend to take a bit more time now that it’s mainly me doing things. It’s coming this month.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

CaliMonk - 14 February 2023 07:27 AM

We’ll host the Aggies soon, I’ve prepared a lot already. Some things tend to take a bit more time now that it’s mainly me doing things. It’s coming this month.

I’m confused. Are you organising your own Aggies or will you be posting Diego’s Aggies on the front page?

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m confused as well. When Dale stated that there would be no Aggies, I think everyone assumed he was speaking for management. Which is why Diego created a user-based version of the Aggies.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

I wonder why people would assume there wouldn’t be Aggies this year? We host Aggies every year; just because Jack left doesn’t mean we don’t do this anymore? Perhaps some miscommunication, but if anyone had asked me directly, I would have happily clarified.

Edit: I’ve send a message to Diego as I want to do justice to all the work he’s done so far.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Dale - 03 February 2023 08:01 AM

I haven’t heard anything about them.

You can read into what that might mean.

i think this has something to do with it.

Total Posts: 6595

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

CaliMonk - 14 February 2023 01:53 PM

Edit: I’ve send a message to Diego as I want to do justice to all the work he’s done so far.

Like I said to CaliMonk, I’m happy to hear there will be official Aggies - because it’s been a strong year, and it would be a shame not to cover it with the golden tradition of this site. Also, if I knew that - I wouldn’t be starting the forum thread, because it’s superfluous when there’s the official one. I just started the idea - but I wouldn’t be getting anywhere without the help of Karlok who supported the idea from the start and helped with the list, GateKeeper with the massive list of new games and all the members who corrected and added to the list, and supported the idea/offered help.

Also, I would be happy to see the work done by me and forum members will be recognized in this form or another as part of the official Aggies.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Not so fast!

Nobody has seen Ivo’s plan. We have seen yours and we like it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

lol

it’s been worth coming back to this haunted house just to see this happening.

i’m… kind of with rtrooney on this one, though diego seems very accommodating to Ivo, so i don’t think we need to take stances just yet.

curious about how diego’s work will be incorporated in the official Aggies - a diego supplement? something replacing the Silver Aggies?

i’ll be voting for diego’s version for sure. might vote for the official one, if i like the way it looks.

Joined 2004-03-09

PM

As I mentioned to Diego, it would obviously be a shame not to utilize the work he’s already done and the community’s input. As such, I’d like to launch the Readers Choice later today/tomorrow, which would be the ‘normal’ Readers Choice, where you can vote on all categories.

I’ll also launch (likely tomorrow) the final nominees, which will be the list of what Diego has shared so far mostly. To get to the final Aggie winners, I’d like to continue gathering the votes from everyone at the forums (that wants to participate) as part of the ‘official’ votes. These will be combined with the Staff votes and the Patron votes, the outcome will be the official results of the 2022 Aggies.

For next year I’ll try and get things moving earlier, it was the first time doing it for me this year, and I now see that I need to be more active on the forums at times as I could have mentioned something earlier. There are ‘life’ reasons for that, but that’s irrelevant now.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top