• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LittleRose

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 68: Yoomurjak’s Ring

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

CPTs. <3

I’ve managed to wake up on day two.

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

I overslept and missed the 10 o’clock meeting with Mihaly Jambor.

Just kidding.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Good to see everyone enjoying looking around Eger! Just before I post the start of Section 1…

Day 1 recap

So, if you’ve managed to get through the short first day you should have made a new friend or two at the tourist office, both of whom seem to be rather helpful and rather taken with young Jonathan.

If it’s of any use to anyone I’m going to set out a very short summary of what was in those inventory items. No spoilers, just a reiteration of what you’ve already seen/read in the hope it becomes clearer in your mind. Obviously please do ignore it if it’s not helpful.

1. The Star of Eger

What is it? This is a historical novel (in the game and in real life) written by a man called Géza Gárdonyi, set in the first half(ish) of the 16th Century, dealing with (amongst other things) the siege of Eger Castle in 1552 by Turkey (The Ottoman Empire).

Why does Jonathan have it? It was given to him by his Hungarian Grandfather.

What do I need to know? The book as we have it is only a very short summary of the real book of course. In brief if seems to centre on a one-eyed Turk by the name of Yoomurjak who is captured by the Hungarians and has his talisman – a ring – taken from him, after he kidnaps two children. The ring stays in Hungarian hands and, over a period of years, Yoomurjak tries to get it back.

2. Prof Abray’s 1st letter

What is it? A letter written by a Hungarian scientist from Eger, Professor Abray, to Jonathan’s Great Grandfather, Samuel Hunt, in 1898.

Why does Jonathan have it? It was in the book that his grandfather gave him.

What do I need to know? Professor Abray presented his ideas about time travel being possible to a conference of scientists in London. He was absolutely laughed out of town by everyone except Samuel Hunt, who thought that, unbelievable as it sounded, Prof Abray could be onto something, or at least was too clever to be a simple madman.

3. Prof Abray’s 2nd letter

What is it? A letter from Professor Abray to Samuel Hunt after getting back from the conference in 1898.

Why does Jonathan have it? It was in the book that his grandfather gave him.

What do I need to know? Professor Abray says that while he was away at the conference, his lab assistant messed around with the machine he was building to try and travel in time and it is badly damaged, setting him back a long way. The lab assistant appears to have been in league with someone he calls a “pen pusher”.

He says he will have to make a new ring. The assistant has disappeared and doesn’t seem to be coming back.

Professor Abray is also concerned about what politicians might do with his invention, if he ever got it to work…

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Section 1 – Day 2

Getting around the city by winged messenger?

Today Jonathan will be waking up in Eger with, well maybe not a hot date, but at least someone to meet. After our gentle coast through the first day, things start to pick up now. Day 2 is fairly long and we are definitely going to be coming across a puzzle or two which will require your full attention.

We’ll also be learning a bit more about Géza Gárdonyi, a name we have only really heard so far as the author of “The Star of Eger”.

There will be a fair bit to do today, so let’s aim to finish up and start section 2 on Wednesday 22 September. Obviously if we’re all done before that, or enough of us are still going we can move it back or forwards a couple of days.

Section one ends when you wake up on Day 3.

Optional things to explore

Just for fun; as you’re exploring around the place how many of the following questions can you answer? (No spoilers and nothing that you need to do to finish the day).

1. Have you found the model of the city?

2. What is a Camera Obscura? Other than seriously cool that is!

3. How many churches, or similar buildings, can you see around the city?

Have fun guys and remember to explore any wine cellars you might come across thoroughly! Wink

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

I’m absolutely loving all the pictures of the city residents watching from windows. Personally I love the people you can find who just came to see the filming, or are otherwise just staring at the camera! It must have been quite an undertaking to film/photograph the city without too many people getting in the way.

OK, guys, just act natural, do what you’d normally do, don’t just stare at the camer…

Guys? OH COME ON!

Now you see them…

Now you don’t!

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Intense Degree - 13 September 2021 05:05 AM

Section 1 – Day 2

Yeeeeeah!

1. Have you found the model of the city?

Nope.

2. What is a Camera Obscura? Other than seriously cool that is!

I know what it is, but still haven’t tripped over one in Eger.
Now that you mentioned it, I remember there was some kind of a public library. Maybe they have a camera obscura in there.

3. How many churches, or similar buildings, can you see around the city?

A lot of them (those Catholics…), but I could visit only one and afterwards it showed in the map.

Have fun guys

Thank you.

remember to explore any wine cellars you might come across thoroughly! Wink

Some fun indeed. Sick

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

The plot is thickening… I’ll have to go to that dreaded cellar once again.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I bought the game yesterday and i will join you on the community run.

So today i finished the first day and i m ready for more.

Its my first time playing this kind of full motion video game and it is certainly interesting. I was kinda frustrated at the start with moving around. Also it doesnt really help that you cant see where you are at the map. I was kinda lost until i realised i can actually fast travel on the map. After this point everything was a lot more enjoyable.

What surprised me was the acting. I would never thought that i would find so good acting in a game. This is better than some b-movies.

The story feels complicated from the begining and is certainly interesting. Actually anything about time travel feels interesting. Not sure about the difficulty of the puzzles involing time travel though if there are any.

Finally graphics arent that clear and also dont like the fonds and size of letters. They are hard to read. I guess i ll get used to them. Didnt have any problems with getting dizzy with movement. But then i have played many games on virtual reality so i m kinda used to the feeling.

Well time for day 2 and see what the old guy has to say.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Hi Nico, It’s great to have another participant! Thumbs Up

Nico2021 - 13 September 2021 10:13 AM

...Also it doesnt really help that you cant see where you are at the map. I was kinda lost until i realised i can actually fast travel on the map. After this point everything was a lot more enjoyable.

Yes, I too would have liked to see where I was on the map until I realised it wasn’t very realistic in context. There are enough marked places on the map to work out routes I’m sure so I may have a go.  Laughing

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Great to have you on board Nico! Thumbs Up

Nico2021 - 13 September 2021 10:13 AM

What surprised me was the acting. I would never thought that i would find so good acting in a game. This is better than some b-movies.

I agree, most of the acting is really good. Although they aren’t really internationally famous, quite a few of the actors are “proper” actors in Hungary I believe which is really nice.

I should say though, for anyone who might be missing the slightly hammy performances you often see in FMV games, there are one or two smaller parts which will definitely make you smile! After all, what would an FMV game be without at least some ridiculous acting! Smile

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I quite like the acting as well. There’s a bit of 90s polish over everything, which I do not mind.

As someone who hardly ever gets a chance to travel abroad, I also really appreciate the scenery and the interactions we’ve had so far. It’s like a miniature holiday. Smile

While looking up some details about Eger, I came across this article I quite liked:
https://hlo.hu/news/fighting_against_the_ottomans_stars_of_eger_in_turkish.html
I think I’ll give this book “Turkish Mirror” a try once we’ve finished this game.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Wow! This playthrough is magical.

The first time I played Yoomurjak I didn’t know what to do and was stuck in the second day. I believed the wine cellar was to be blamed, but now I think that wasn’t it. The first time around I was somehow helpless to solve the puzzle at Mihaly Jambor’s desk and now I went through it in a jiffy. Reading Edgar Allan Poe’s The Gold-Bug and Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s The Dancing Men helped, of course, and solving similar puzzles in other adventures didn’t hurt either - but I had all that in 2016 also and yet I failed to tackle Gardonyi’s code then. Now I’m more focused and have a much better idea what to do next.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Maybe you were stuck in an actual wine cellar back in ‘16?

That might explain your lack of puzzle solving abilities and inability to remember stuff you read in 19th and early 20th century lit.

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

That may well be the case, I like to drink wine in winter.

Then again I like to drink wine in spring, and in autumn. And in summer too.

Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top