• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

AbnaxusLittleRosewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

12 Minutes - Time Loop Thriller starring Daisy Ridley & James McAvoy

Total Posts: 1265

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Luhr28 - 21 August 2021 10:54 PM
Karlok - 21 August 2021 10:51 PM

I’m way behind the times, Luhr. I don’t know how old you are, much younger than my 73 I guess.

Oh I’m behind the times too, believe me. I wouldn’t have known who she was if I weren’t a Star Wars fan from way back. I do regret wasting those hours watching the sequels she was in, though.  Sick

Back to the game - I’m 50/50 on whether I’ll try it. It sounds like it could be my kind of thing. Maybe.

Don’t worry, there’s always The Mandalorian. Off topic, sorry, I know.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 21 August 2021 10:54 PM

Back to the game - I’m 50/50 on whether I’ll try it. It sounds like it could be my kind of thing. Maybe.

I watched someone finish it on twitch just now. He looked disgusted. I felt sorry for him but at the same time couldn’t help laughing.

I say, take the plunge, what’s the worst that could happen. And yes, it might be your kind of game.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2010-03-22

PM

Karlok - 21 August 2021 08:06 PM
bloody_eugene - 21 August 2021 05:55 PM

At a certain point I even believed I’ve finished the game (I made the policeman not enter and leaved us happy and cuddled in bed), but it continued letting me struggling to guess what to do next (or better, what the game designer arbitrarly wanted me to do next).

I agree with some or even most of your negs, but not with this one. In Outer Wilds you discover the reason for the time loop. It would not make sense and it would be totally unsatisfactory if this sad story ended in a happy cuddle. With an unexplained time loop still hanging over us or maybe vanishing into thin air?

That’s because I thought it would fit the meaning of the book “It is only by forgetting that we ever really drop the thread of time and approach the experience of living in the present moment” . The present moment is now that he loves her, forgive her and he preserved their life together forgetting her past: at that moment the loop ends for a game about leaving the errors we made in the past (the same thing that the Policeman do when his daughter calls him - an implicit confirmation he was her brother and the killer). Yeah, I made my movie, but it made sense.  :-D .

- many obvious things that you can’t do: they make evident that the player actions are very limited. Why can’t I phone the Policeman if I got his phone? Why can’t I tell my wife to hide in the closet? Or tell her to wear shoes? Why can’t I push the sofa against the door?

What would be the point of those very sensible actions *in the light of the story* the game wants to tell?

Well, you don’t know before what will be *in the light of the story*. So for me it made sense that we both hide in the apartment and attack the policeman together; or phone the policeman asking about the wife; Or putting shoes so her can be shocked but get awake after I caught the Policeman so him and the Wife can argue once for all.
But you’re basically left blind, i.e: Why the last time you take the clock it’s different? I went crazy doing other attempts with lots of skipping dialogues until I discovered that in that precise moment the storytellers wanted the watch be important again - but without letting me know…

But many people were disappointed, given the large number of negative reviews at Steam

I don’t ever trust Steam reviews too much. Grin
But I read a lot of website reviews, and I concur with this bit:
“In its soul, Twelve Minutes is a fantastic interactive narrative, that’s bogged down by aimless puzzles that leave you with miserably long wait times to punish your failure. [...] Twelve Minutes is a videogame that is fantastic in every area, except being a videogame. There’s a lot to love, and I think people will overlook its faults. Sadly those faults are there, almost completely tanking an otherwise excellent piece of fiction.”

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

bloody_eugene - 22 August 2021 06:00 AM

That’s because I thought it would fit the meaning of the book “It is only by forgetting that we ever really drop the thread of time and approach the experience of living in the present moment” . The present moment is now that he loves her, forgive her and he preserved their life together forgetting her past: at that moment the loop ends for a game about leaving the errors we made in the past (the same thing that the Policeman do when his daughter calls him - an implicit confirmation he was her brother and the killer). Yeah, I made my movie, but it made sense.  :-D .

You’ve got a point. But the happy cuddle is in fact an ending and does trigger the manipulation of the watch and one of the scenes with dad in the next loop, doesn’t it? Not sure, I’m already forgetting the exact order of things to do.

Well, you don’t know before what will be *in the light of the story*. So for me it made sense that we both hide in the apartment and attack the policeman together; or phone the policeman asking about the wife; Or putting shoes so her can be shocked but get awake after I caught the Policeman so him and the Wife can argue once for all.

In my repeated attempts to force the cop to tell me more I once forgot to prepare the switch, so she was out cold and he wasn’t. In that situation he did check the closet, so with hindsight he would have found both of us hiding in the closet. He doesn’t need the switch to spot us in the bedroom, only to check on her.

Everybody plays the game differently. In the frustrating middle part I got hung up on the mysterious relationship between cop and dad. How did they know each other, why did he find dad when he was still bleeding, lots of questions I tried to find answers to, it was all so weird. In one of the final loops she even gives him the watch and says something like “I know you were very close”, which made me yell at the screen: NO! We DON’T know that!. Smile Thank God the endings put everything in perspective or I would still be fuming.

I don’t ever trust Steam reviews too much. Grin

I don’t base my buying decisions on Steam reviews, but I do believe they tell me the truth about the reviewers’ experience of the game.

But I read a lot of website reviews, and I concur with this bit:
“In its soul, Twelve Minutes is a fantastic interactive narrative, that’s bogged down by aimless puzzles that leave you with miserably long wait times to punish your failure. [...] Twelve Minutes is a videogame that is fantastic in every area, except being a videogame. There’s a lot to love, and I think people will overlook its faults. Sadly those faults are there, almost completely tanking an otherwise excellent piece of fiction.”

I guess that in the end I’m one of the people willing to overlook its faults. When the frustration in the middle part will have faded.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top