• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

12 Minutes - Time Loop Thriller starring Daisy Ridley & James McAvoy

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

All the Star Wars games featured cast members. I thik they sold well at the beginning, but petered out towards the end.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Gabe - 20 August 2021 01:05 PM

Anyone finished,multiple endings available?

There’s two endings I got so far (full cut to credits). Replayed it last night and got the “true ending” which was more satisfying for sure.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’ll add a few FMV adventures with (more or less) famous actors. Black Dahlia with Teri Garr and Dennis Hoover. Michael Dorn in Mission Critical. Dirk Benedict, Rip Taylor and Erick Averi in Zork GI. Elliott Gould was used to sell Blue Heat, anybody remember that game?

I’m sure there are many more. And Logan Marshall-Green isn’t totally unknown, is he. But the recent Telling Lies was a dismal failure.

PS: And what about the voices of the very famous Isabella Rossellini and Ben Kingsley in Ceremony of Innocence.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Tim Curry was in Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Wow, nice, a lot more titles than I thought. Smile

FMV has started to grow on me. One irrelevant anecdote and I’ll get back on topic: I remember watching an episode of a syndicated US comedy and seeing a Guybrush-in-MI2-looking Gabriel Knight working tables.*

* edit: I promise I’m not making up weird references for the hell of it, but if you’re skeptical, look for The Collective Acting Career of Dean Erickson.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

(...)

“12 Minutes - Time Loop Thriller starring Daisy Ridley & James McAvoy”*

One of the reasons I got the game, besides actors I only vaguely recognize, is my better half’s enthousiasm when she showed me the trailer a couple of months ago. We’re starting the game next week.

*since the thread was renamed, I’m going with this as the official title

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Here’s my experience of the Twelve Minutes.
Beginning: Immersive and interesting. Lots of exploring, lots of info, thinking of ways to use new info was fun.
Middle: Frustrating, repetitive, annoying, even boring. Finding and using new info got harder and it was pretty easy to guess where the story was going.
End: Strong. I didn’t expect much after the frustrating middle part, but I was wrong. The endings are good. If you are playing this game, be sure to see all of them, including any variations.

Total Posts: 31

Joined 2010-03-22

PM

Let’s say it straight: it’s an OBTUSE game, for broken design choices mainly.

I tried hard to like it, I even finished it, but there’s so little to like, aside the story and the surprising ending.

The problem is that the time loop is an intriguing idea - I liked it a lot in Outer Wilds - but here awfully compromised: it just ends in a trial and error loop.
You’ll find yourself doing the same things over and over again trying minimal changes, and hoping that something new happens. After the first half of the game the clues of what to do are scarce and leave you aimlessly blind, trying nonsense to go forward - but probably it won’t as the game is very narrow on what is expecting you to do.
At a certain point I even believed I’ve finished the game (I made the policeman not enter and leaved us happy and cuddled in bed), but it continued letting me struggling to guess what to do next (or better, what the game designer arbitrarly wanted me to do next).

Other negs:
- slow skipping over-long-dialoges: in each loop you have to say mostly the same things, and you have to manually skip long dialogues line by line - my right click was on fire. After the 50th (not a joke) time you have to go through all the dialogues, you’ll even get bored of jumping them and you’ll let them play in the background while browsing your phone. Those dialogues would have welcome some cuts to make them more concise in later scenes so you don’t have to tell the same stories again and again to characters.
- many obvious things that you can’t do: they make evident that the player actions are very limited. Why can’t I phone the Policeman if I got his phone? Why can’t I tell my wife to hide in the closet? Or tell her to wear shoes? Why can’t I push the sofa against the door? The game instead focus on unuseful silly actions like throwing things in the toilet or putting a cellphone in a vent in the bedroom
- glitches : nothing game-breaking but there are LOTS of overlapping dialogues, changes of tone, stiffy animation transitions, polygon compenetrations, bad hotspots placing. 

Some pros:
- Story. I like the plot twists and the atmosphere but I would’ve skipped the whole deranged Red Book thing and the lighting helps so much.
- Voices : they are really well acted, and convey the story in a emotional way, with a lot of variations for the same sentence.
- Urgency sensation : at least in the initial loops the time restrictions frightens you.

My vote: 2 stars out of 5

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

bloody_eugene - 21 August 2021 05:55 PM

At a certain point I even believed I’ve finished the game (I made the policeman not enter and leaved us happy and cuddled in bed), but it continued letting me struggling to guess what to do next (or better, what the game designer arbitrarly wanted me to do next).

I agree with some or even most of your negs, but not with this one. In Outer Wilds you discover the reason for the time loop. It would not make sense and it would be totally unsatisfactory if this sad story ended in a happy cuddle. With an unexplained time loop still hanging over us or maybe vanishing into thin air?

- many obvious things that you can’t do: they make evident that the player actions are very limited. Why can’t I phone the Policeman if I got his phone? Why can’t I tell my wife to hide in the closet? Or tell her to wear shoes? Why can’t I push the sofa against the door?

What would be the point of those very sensible actions *in the light of the story* the game wants to tell?

The game instead focus on unuseful silly actions like throwing things in the toilet or putting a cellphone in a vent in the bedroom

LOL! I didn’t know you could do that.

- Story. I like the plot twists and the atmosphere but I would’ve skipped the whole deranged Red Book thing.

I didn’t find it deranged at all, the endings put the story in the right perspective.

PS: I don’t really know how to rate the game. It is flawed, repetitive and frustrating, but at the same time immersive and the imo surprisingly interesting endings made it a satisfactory experience for me. But many people were disappointed, given the large number of negative reviews at Steam

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 August 2021 01:39 AM

Tim Curry was in Frankenstein: Through the Eyes of the Monster.

And also starred in one of the FMV Dracula games. His over the top voice acting could not save the game.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 20 August 2021 04:55 PM
PlanetX - 20 August 2021 04:41 PM
Karlok - 20 August 2021 01:38 PM

Went to twitch where over 550 people were streaming Twelve Minutes. I kid you not! Sort of proves it’s not an adventure game…

What?

It just got a lot of exposure due to the big name actors in its cast and the fact that Microsoft gave it a huge push at like 3 E3’s in a row.

Yeah, you and Luhr.  I got it. But for me it was only the concept of the game that got me excited. So people go for big names now. I remember lots of FMV adventures with famous actors that didn’t sell well in the ‘90s.

The kind of ‘famous’ that actors such as Tim Curry and Erick Avari are compared with the type of famous represented by an immensely popular young female actor who just starred as the heroine in 3 movies of possibly the biggest ever entertainment franchise in cinema…

...well, I’m sure I don’t have to argue the point that there’s no comparison. We both know how pop culture works.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Well, I think we must wait ten years to compare again. Maybe she will be a recognized actress, maybe she will end like Carrie Fisher, maybe she will end like Mark Hamill…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 21 August 2021 09:23 PM

The kind of ‘famous’ that actors such as Tim Curry and Erick Avari are compared with the type of famous represented by an immensely popular young female actor who just starred as the heroine in 3 movies of possibly the biggest ever entertainment franchise in cinema…

...well, I’m sure I don’t have to argue the point that there’s no comparison. We both know how pop culture works.

I’m way behind the times, Luhr. I don’t know how old you are, much younger than my 73 I guess. Three movies, biggest ever entertainment franchise… doesn’t ring a bell.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

walas74 - 21 August 2021 10:31 PM

Well, I think we must wait ten years to compare again. Maybe she will be a recognized actress, maybe she will end like Carrie Fischer, maybe she will end like Mark Hamill…

Why? I hardly think the millions of teenagers around the world on whose bedroom walls her image is plastered could care less about that.

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 21 August 2021 10:51 PM

I’m way behind the times, Luhr. I don’t know how old you are, much younger than my 73 I guess.

Oh I’m behind the times too, believe me. I wouldn’t have known who she was if I weren’t a Star Wars fan from way back. I do regret wasting those hours watching the sequels she was in, though.  Sick

Back to the game - I’m 50/50 on whether I’ll try it. It sounds like it could be my kind of thing. Maybe.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top