• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

rtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

12 Minutes - Time Loop Thriller starring Daisy Ridley & James McAvoy

Total Posts: 417

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Reviews for 12 Minutes are starting to come in and they’re looking solid overall. Currently has an 80 on MC w/ 28 reviews. 9 from Gamespot and 8 from IGN & Destructoid. Some negative ones, most notably a 53 from PCGamer. The split in good vs negative reviews seems to be how each person felt about the puzzles. Some outlets calling them varied and clever, and some finding them confusing. 

From what I’ve looked over at a glance (avoiding certain parts to keep the element of surprise), it’s looking good imo. The story has been getting near universal praise and I think dedicated adventure fans will fall on the positive side regarding the puzzles.

Anyone else looking forward to this one? It drops tomorrow.

It’s difficult to convey my enthusiasm for Twelve Minutes’ time-loop mystery without discussing what happens at the end, but like Inside, I’d be doing you a grave disservice by giving anything away. What I can say is that the payoff is worth it, and the clever way in which writer-director Luis Antonio flips the traditional point-and-click adventure on its head makes for a compelling bit of unconventional storytelling that could only have worked as a game. Throw in great performances from three respected actors and the result is a memorable crime worth solving.

(GS review)

12 Minutes is a point-and-click adventure in a clockwork world that’s as expertly crafted as a Swiss watch.

(IGN review)

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

It’s already in my Steam library, waiting for its release tomorrow.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Getting it right now.

Exciting!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Most economic adventure ever,whole game takes place in one room.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

And I got error 51 again… Frown

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Your new avatar expresses the emotion/anger in your post perfectly.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Hehe… it does rather. Pure coincidence. I saved that lovely face for future use when I played the game a couple of years ago. Too bad she mellows a lot when her “boyfriend” offers her some flowers to make up for it.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

Played through 12 Minutes today and it was cool. Wasn’t completely blown away by it but I really enjoyed the gameplay. Save for a bit of tedium having to repeatedly set up certain pre-conditions, the puzzles were varied and in many cases very clever. There’s also very little hand holding, the odd woven contextual hint in the games dialogue, but you’re figuring out a lot of the mystery yourself and that was satisfying.

My biggest issue with the game is how some of the writing is structured. Most of the dialogue consist of small sentence fragments that feel “stitched together.” Especially during the intro a lot of the conversation topics feel rushed & don’t flow naturally. The game tries to have it’s narrative play out while rarely, if ever, restricting the players control. Which is an admirable goal in theory but sometimes the results are just awkward. I think having things be a bit more scripted, just for the first loop or two, to establish the premise more conventionally would’ve been better for the narrative.

As things proceed the dialogue starts flowing better, the drama hits some good highs and there’s some surprising twists to the mystery. So it’s definitely well made, unique and worth playing. Not among my favorite adventures ever, but definitely a neat experience and a testament to what the genre can do.

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Anyone finished,multiple endings available?

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Went to twitch where over 550 people were streaming Twelve Minutes. I kid you not! Sort of proves it’s not an adventure game…

Anyway, I wanted to play it so badly that I finally made a serious effort to solve my error code 51. It was easy. I had no idea you can add exceptions to your antivirus software. Stupid me. Shifty Eyed I could have participated in the Nelly Cootalot CP, that one works fine as well now.

Made a lot of progress in the game, I’ve discovered most of the story and I think I know where this is heading. I don’t know yet how to get there.
And of course I may be wrong.

Before I started playing I said I didn’t mind repetition in this type of game, but now I agree with PlanetX that having to go through certain things again and again gets tiresome.

PS: Great voice acting.

Total Posts: 1353

Joined 2017-09-18

PM

Karlok - 20 August 2021 01:38 PM

Went to twitch where over 550 people were streaming Twelve Minutes. I kid you not! Sort of proves it’s not an adventure game…

...or that it features three super-famous actors in it.

Star power is where it’s at Heart Eyes

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Luhr28 - 20 August 2021 03:48 PM

...or that it features three super-famous actors in it.

Star power is where it’s at Heart Eyes

Really? I only know Willem Defoe.

Joined 2018-03-07

PM

What?

It just got a lot of exposure due to the big name actors in its cast and the fact that Microsoft gave it a huge push at like 3 E3’s in a row.

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

PlanetX - 20 August 2021 04:41 PM

What?

It just got a lot of exposure due to the big name actors in its cast and the fact that Microsoft gave it a huge push at like 3 E3’s in a row.

Yeah, you and Luhr.  I got it. But for me it was only the concept of the game that got me excited. So people go for big names now. I remember lots of FMV adventures with famous actors that didn’t sell well in the ‘90s.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I had no idea who Daisy Ridley and James McAvoy were, had to look them up.

Defoe? Definitely. But I had no idea his voice was in the game.

I don’t think I’d buy an FMV or voice acted game based on actors involved. Unless the game featured Melissa Leo.

What are some other big name FMVs? “The X-Files Game” featured Gillian Anderson (and David Duchovny, I guess), Christopher Walken did a pretty great Christopher Walken in “Ripper”.

I know I’m forgetting at least one title, I wonder if anyone else can drop a few gems in this category.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Vegetable Party - 20 August 2021 06:34 PM

I know I’m forgetting at least one title, I wonder if anyone else can drop a few gems in this category.

Toonstruck featured Christopher Lloyd and didn’t sell. Also Tex Murphy games had some great actors involved, Overseer in particular featured Michael York and Richard Norton - and also failed I think.

PC means personal computer

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top