• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

chrissiegrizzlypantsSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Shinyloot

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Hi! Does anybody here have experience with this online store?

I saw they have a very interesting promotion (http://www.shinyloot.com/mystery-masters-mystery-adventure-bundle?re=sales-1), with Lost Chronicles of Zerzura, Black Mirror 2 & 3 and Gray Matter, for just $9.99!

I’m very interested in this promo, but would definitely like to know more about them, before buying.

Any experience to share? Are they trustworhty? Are the games trully DRM-free, like GOG, or would I need to instal a client of sorts? How’s their support?

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

hm, never heard of the site. But the “games for windows” logo on the game art suggests they certainly do have drm (at least windows live).

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

zane - 17 June 2013 08:49 PM

hm, never heard of the site. But the “games for windows” logo on the game art suggests they certainly do have drm (at least windows live).

How on earth do you reach that conclusion?
The “Games for Windows” logo just means they’re PC games designed to run on Windows.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

TimovieMan - 18 June 2013 06:59 AM

The “Games for Windows” logo just means they’re PC games designed to run on Windows.

well, it means more than they work with windows, “games for windows” is a brand name by microsoft. So they had to get certification from them to opt into it. But because the live isnt anywhere on the art, it probably doesnt use live.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Well, I can’t recall any of my games that have the “Games for Windows” logo on top as having DRM beyond an install key included in the box. Hence my remark…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

heres an example, its the “live” in the right that shows it has “games for windows live”.

Image Attachments

Batman-Arkham-Asylum.jpg

Click thumbnail to see full-size image

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

They’re not 100% DRM-free. They’re sometimes DRM-free. Here’s what they say on their site:

We believe the developers have a right to protect their property in a reasonable manner. We do not believe that the majority of DRM used today do so in a manner that is fair to paying customers. ShinyLoot is committed to providing only games without obtrusive DRM. We do not support games such as those that use Games for Windows Live for single player experiences, SecuROM, TAGES, or always on-line authentication for single player games. The hardest form of DRM you will find on ShinyLoot is a one-time CD-Key validation for single player games and CD-Key checks for accessing online servers. If any game is found to be violating this policy (due to patches, undisclosed details, etc.) they will be removed from ShinyLoot.

http://www.shinyloot.com/about

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

^hm weird, i guess thats a policy i can get behind. It does leave the door wide open to interpretation though.

Oh i see now they actually list what drm each game has on its purchase page under “protection type”.

Total Posts: 23

Joined 2011-04-12

PM

Hi to all!

Just wanted to share some feedback I got through other forum. I think it might be helpful to people interested in the promo:

- There’s no need of a client to download/play the games. You can download them through your browser, in the games section of your account.
- They accept Pay Pal.
- The games downloads are in multiple files, either in Zip or Rar format.
- Black Mirror 3 comes in one zip file, Zezura in 3 rar files (You need to extract each of the three files retaining the folder format as named in the same place on your pc). These games require installation.
- Black Mirror 2 comes in 3 rar files and GrayMatter in 4 rar files. These ones don’t require installation, you just play directly from the unziped files.
- All 4 are in fact drm-free.  In addition to that information being present for the individual game in their pages you can also refine your search to DRM-free only games.
- For the games requiring serials, the serial check will either connect to an online server to validate a key or check some internal code to validate. The online check would happen only once (during install or your first run) and would not need to be checked again.

Hope this helps other users and thanks to all that participated!

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top