• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 100 Adventure Games (Voting Ended) 

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 15 July 2022 05:44 PM

At the risk of stating the obvious: the idea is a consensus of games that are worth playing. It’s not directly based on merit people personally attach to these games, but on the likelihood another person would have a positive experience playing the game.

It is worth the clarification, although if you ask me which are my favorite games it is natural that my primary reaction is to look for those with which I have or have attributed a special merit totally personal even if they are difficult to recommend, and long before thinking which may be those that I think are worthwhile for someone else to experience them.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 862

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

rtrooney - 15 July 2022 08:55 PM

I also agree with Karlok. (Please do not let the gods come crashing on my head.) It’s unlikely that many of the consensus top 100 will receive more than four or five votes. The sample size is simply too small.

Sample size isn’t the problem, the scoring method is.

There will undoubtedly be situations where more than one game is going to receive the same number of votes. Then there’s no way to determine which will be placed before the other in the final list, unless there will be a separate X vs. Y poll about those cases.

Some other counting method, like the one that I suggested but was said to be too complicated, would almost certainly give each game a unique score, and therefore real ranking regardless of how many people voted.

But as this is just a forum poll for forum fun, I guess if seven games have the same number of votes it doesn’t cause too much harm.

I also think the poll skews to a younger age group.

I’m going to use one of my games as an example. Amber: Journey Beyond was in my top list. Most current voters have probably never heard of it. And, like Black Dahlia, it can’t be played on current systems, it will never be recognized for the great game it is.

It’s not an age thing, it’s more about how similar the games are.
They are almost all point-and-clicks, which is bad.
Of course, I am part of the problem, and not part of the solution, as I too, submitted mostly point-and-click games.

But I would like to see more text adventures, but maybe those games (or people who play them?) are too old in this context.
FMV games, maybe people don’t play them anymore that much, even though there are some very recent FMV games available?
And when someone suggests something more experimental that wouldn’t fit in the traditional adventure definition, we get the usual “it’s not an adventure” discussion.

Then again, this whole thing got started from someone’s question, which new games we would choose to replace games on the existing Top 100 list. So, if in the end the odd “Infocom text adventures” entry will be replaced by some recent point-and-click game, the voting is working as presumably originally intended.

Total Posts: 7473

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

GateKeeper - 16 July 2022 02:42 AM

It’s unlikely that many of the consensus top 100 will receive more than four or five votes. The sample size is simply too small.

Sample size isn’t the problem, the scoring method is.

Sample size, scoring method, and the large number of games people are allowed submit: three problems.

There will undoubtedly be situations where more than one game is going to receive the same number of votes.

So far 24-26 people have submitted their list. It’s inevitable that LOTS of games will receive the same (low) number of votes. Plus a couple of hundred hapax.

But as this is just a forum poll for forum fun, I guess if seven games have the same number of votes it doesn’t cause too much harm.

I don’t know where the number seven comes from.

But I would like to see more text adventures, but maybe those games (or people who play them?) are too old in this context.

See ifdb.org for loads of very good modern text adventures with much better parsers than the ancient ones.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2022-07-03

PM

I agree that for most people posting their Top 100, that represents the best of the last 100 games of the last 120 they remember playing. And it is not representative of any real qualitative poll.

I also agree with Karlok. (Please do not let the gods come crashing on my head.) It’s unlikely that many of the consensus top 100 will receive more than four or five votes. The sample size is simply too small.

I’m going to use one of my games as an example. Amber: Journey Beyond was in my top list. Most current voters have probably never heard of it. And, like Black Dahlia, it can’t be played on current systems, it will never be recognized for the great game it is.

black dahlia will run under a virtual machine in dosbox.program files is not a good location like with early nancy drew games.google will show you how to go about it.you will also need fan patches.amber may run with an installer patch though its for 7-8.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

I would like to add:

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Anchorhead
Border Zone
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
The Epsilon Outcome
Heaven’s Vault
J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars
The Last Express
Loom
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Nord and Bert Couldn’t Make Head or Tail of It
Return to Mysterious Island
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
Technobabylon
Unavowed

Total Posts: 529

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Vegetable Party - 16 July 2022 09:00 AM

I would like to add:

A Mind Forever Voyaging
Anchorhead
Border Zone
Dr. Langeskov, The Tiger, and The Terribly Cursed Emerald: A Whirlwind Heist
The Epsilon Outcome
Heaven’s Vault
J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars
The Last Express
Loom
A Mind Forever Voyaging
Nord and Bert Couldn’t Make Head or Tail of It
Space Quest III: The Pirates of Pestulon
Technobabylon
Unavowed

Thumbs Up

AMFV definitely deserves two votes!

(and before anyone objects just say it’s mod’s prerogative)  Laughing

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Alright, let’s do this hundred thing with a little less discrimination.

I would like to add:

A Golden Wake
Ankh (just in case there’s more than one game called Ankh, I’m referring to the first game in the series of comedy 3rd person point ‘n clickers)
Ben There, Dan That
Blackwell Convergence
Blackwell Legacy
Blackwell Unbound
Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Gabriel Knight 3
Gateway II: Homeworld
Hero U: Rogue to Redemption
Hotel Dusk: Room 215
King’s Quest 1 VGA (AGD/Tierra/Himalaya) remake
Leisure Suit Larry 1
Leisure Suit Larry 2
Leisure Suit Larry 3
Leisure Suit Larry 4 (just keeping you on your toes here)
Order of the Thorne
Police Quest 1 VGA
Police Quest 2
Quest for Infamy
Scratches
Space Quest 1 VGA
Space Quest 2
Space Quest 3

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

On the subject of inviting non AG forum users to participate in this, I think it would have been a good idea. Most people like making lists and feeling like their voice is being heard and counted, and so it might have seduced some folks to sign up, and maybe some of them would have stuck around to become regular contributors. I really don’t see a realistic downside. Oh well, maybe next time.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Charophycean - 16 July 2022 09:59 AM

Thumbs Up

AMFV definitely deserves two votes!

(and before anyone objects just say it’s mod’s prerogative)  Laughing

haha! I listed it under A and M.

Baron_Blubba - 16 July 2022 11:13 AM

On the subject of inviting non AG forum users to participate in this, I think it would have been a good idea. Most people like making lists and feeling like their voice is being heard and counted, and so it might have seduced some folks to sign up, and maybe some of them would have stuck around to become regular contributors.

Would it? I mean.. it’s the adventuregamers.com list of top 100 adventure games. Voting doesn’t determine anything other than some games being mentioned on one specific website.

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Karlok - 15 July 2022 09:30 PM

I also agree with Karlok. (Please do not let the gods come crashing on my head.)

A cardinal sin. Repent!

It’s unlikely that many of the consensus top 100 will receive more than four or five votes. The sample size is simply too small.

The few attempts to attract more people were nipped in the bud.

Some clever people figured out how to play Amber and BD on modern machines. But I haven’t tried it myself.

https://www.old-games.com/download/8768/amber-journeys-beyond
https://www.old-games.com/download/8763/black-dahlia

I’ve seen the various threads. One is still active on another forum. I’m not sure I’m technologically capable (read: clever enough) of doing what needs to be done.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

@VP

I think this site is *the* authority, or at least *the* last dedicated bastion, of adventure games. As such, this could be an important list (so far as any lists about videogames are important) for someone looking to get into adventure games, or someone in search of more adventure games to try. As such, a larger pool would be more meaningful and indicative of a (still very limited but perhaps thrice less limited) consensus of the 100 Most Worthwhile Adventure Games. Also, it would be more fun to see the final results from a larger pool that draws from adventure game fans outside of our very small community. Who knows, we might learn something.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 862

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 16 July 2022 11:09 AM

Ankh (just in case there’s more than one game called Ankh, I’m referring to the first game in the series of comedy 3rd person point ‘n clickers)

There indeed is!
http://www.mobygames.com/game/ankh_

Although I think there’s very little risk of getting confused there, although the game is described as “arcade adventure” and has “puzzle elements”, but I think very few people would go as far as calling it an adventure game in the context we are having here.

Baron_Blubba - 16 July 2022 11:09 AM

Leisure Suit Larry 1
Leisure Suit Larry 2
Space Quest 2

Here, on the other hand, we may have some risk of getting confused.

First, there are three official versions of the first Leisure Suit Larry game, the parser game, Sierra point-and-click remake, and the latest remake that got Kickstarted few years ago.

Second, there are two LSL2 games, the official one and the AGS point-and-click fan remake.
http://www.adventuregamestudio.co.uk/site/games/game/356-leisure-suit-larry-2-point-and-click-final-version-/

Last, there are also two versions of Space Quest 2! The official version and Infamous Adventures remake.
http://infamousadventures.itch.io/space-quest-ii-vga-remake

As fan games are accepted in this voting (although I personally think that’s a mistake), you probably need to specify which version of those you are referring to.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

@Gatekeeper

Parser versions of both Larry games. I think that if one is going to engage in such naughty business, one should face up to it by having to give the explicit commands. None of this parser nonsense.

For SQ2—Sierra parser version, too. The remake was good, but I almost always prefer a parser. The only exceptions are Police Quest 1 and *maybe* be QFG 1, but I never *really* made an effort to play the EGA version of that game.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Total Posts: 5620

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

On the subject of inviting non AG forum users to participate in this, I think it would have been a good idea. Most people like making lists and feeling like their voice is being heard and counted, and so it might have seduced some folks to sign up, and maybe some of them would have stuck around to become regular contributors. I really don’t see a realistic downside. Oh well, maybe next time.

We did invite them, and many did come to contribute their lists.  We just couldn’t announce it on the main page this time.  Maybe next year or maybe not.  I told you from the beginning it would be a simple informal tally.  When I post the results, you can decide what to do with it.  One of the reasons the formal 100 list never got updated is because it’s a pain in the patootie to do, so if someone else wants to take it on, you’re welcome to it. 

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Lady Kestrel - 16 July 2022 01:30 PM

We did invite them, and many did come to contribute their lists.  We just couldn’t announce it on the main page this time.  Maybe next year or maybe not.  I told you from the beginning it would be a simple informal tally.  When I post the results, you can decide what to do with it.  One of the reasons the formal 100 list never got updated is because it’s a pain in the patootie to do, so if someone else wants to take it on, you’re welcome to it. 

I realize that my posts have sounded ungrateful. That’s not the case; I’m just spitballing. Many years ago I’ve done similar projects, and the tallying was an absolute nuisance. Pain in the patootie is putting it mildly. I’m looking forward to this list. The fact that it is 100 does have its advantages—for me, as a mildly seasoned adventure game player, chances are I would have already played almost everything on a top 20,30,40,50 list. But on a top 100, I’m sure to find/be reminded of lots of stuff I still would like to try. It’s a nice go-to that’ll reduce a lot of the legwork next time I realize I’ve played everything in my GOG or Steam library (it happens!).

So, thank you very much, Lady Kestrel. From the bottom of my blubbery heart.

Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top