• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Your Top 100 Adventure Games (Voting Ended) 

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Total Posts: 5620

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I really only need your lists right now, not the reasons you chose them.  The voting runs until the end of July, but I’m almost done with tabulating the current set of lists and will post some preliminary statistics for you this weekend.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Would it be better to post additions to my list before or after the weekend? I’m currently at about twenty.

Total Posts: 862

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Baron_Blubba - 15 July 2022 12:17 PM

Broken Sword 1 - One of the few ‘perfect’ adventure games. Great characters, plot, voices, graphics, puzzles (just silly enough to be an adventure game, just sensible enough to be decipherable). I have no problem with the remakes.

My thoughts exactly, except for the remake part.
I know this is a wrong thread to discuss this, but I’m going to say this anyway. Whether accidental or not, the first Broken Sword got almost everything right; story, puzzles, graphics, voice acting, pacing, a good balance between safe exploring and risk of deaths, the overall sense of adventure.

That awful director’s cut ruined almost all of that, with the possible exception of eliminating the risk of dying (may be a good or bad thing).
The original game had one of the most iconic openings ever, with exploding cafés, clowns, and Paris in the fall. That reworked version which made Nico a playable character (a big mistake in itself!) and had that section before the original beginning, horrible garbage.

That’s one of the reasons why I suggested in the other thread that remasters wouldn’t be accepted. I would always vote for the original game, I couldn’t even think about voting for the director’s cut. So if they are grouped together, what to do?

I did vote for Broken Sword, but I would be much happier if that vote wouldn’t automatically be counted as a vote for the remaster as well.

But the rules have been decided, so it’s waste of time to discuss this further now.

Baron_Blubba - 15 July 2022 12:17 PM

Toonstruck - I can see how this wouldn’t be everyone’s cup of tea, but the puzzle design is just top-notch, an example of how to do tough-but-fair in 3rd person adventure games.

I would say three most entertaining jokes/gags in adventure games are (not in any meaningful order here):

- activating cloaking device in Toonstruck
- ViewMaster in The Darkside Detective
- “chainsaw” in Verschollen auf Lost Island.

A very funny game it is, Toonstruck I mean.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Do people really have 100 favorite games? I’m honestly surprised, I don’t think I could make a list like that without putting games just for the sake of completing the list. I agree with Baron in the sense that a list of 20 would be much more interesting.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Vegetable Party - 15 July 2022 12:42 PM

Would it be better to post additions to my list before or after the weekend? I’m currently at about twenty.

You still have until the end of the month to submit any additions or changes, so whenever it’s convenient for you is fine.  I still have to post my own list.

By the way, I enjoy discussions of favorite games as much as anyone, but my database happens to be on my older iMac, which means scrolling up and down with my mouse wheel instead of the relatively easy touch of my magic mouse.  I’d just like to limit lots of extra content to scroll through until after the deadline.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

taking that into consideration, I was thinking of moving the motivated top 20-style lists to another thread. Would that be alright with all involved?

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Gatekeeper,
I can tell you that if someone posted a game as a remake or director’s cut, it is listed separately in my database.

Ten,
As you will see, the statistics do indicate a change is probably necessary in the number of games each person should submit for next year’s list. Smile

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

VP,
Since we will be having those kinds of discussions after voting is over, it might be good just to leave them here.

Total Posts: 7478

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Tenebra - 15 July 2022 02:10 PM

Do people really have 100 favorite games? I’m honestly surprised, I don’t think I could make a list like that without putting games just for the sake of completing the list. I agree with Baron in the sense that a list of 20 would be much more interesting.

My crystal ball tells me that, given the small number of participants and the large number of different games on the various lists the Top Hundred will in part be based on only 4 or even 3 votes.

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

Total Posts: 851

Joined 2021-03-01

PM

Tenebra - 15 July 2022 02:10 PM

So I narrowed down my big list of ‘adventure games that are especially worth checking out’ to around 35 games pretty easily. Narrowing that down to 20 was a challenge, and on different days it could’ve swung either way on at least 8 of those games that were narrowed out.

If I tried to compile a list of my favorite 100 adventure games, it would end up being me naming all the adventure games I’ve ever played that I didn’t regret playing.

Player, purveyor, and propagator of smart toys and games for all ages.
Facebook.com/weplayfaves
IG @weplayfaves

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

You can compile a list of as many games as you’d like, up to a 100. At the risk of stating the obvious: the idea is a consensus of games that are worth playing. It’s not directly based on merit people personally attach to these games, but on the likelihood another person would have a positive experience playing the game.

A personal, motivated, justified (and rationalized?) top 20 is a good read. It might convince someone on the forum to give a game a try, or a chance to discuss it with a fellow adventurer.

It’s just more likely a random person, or someone with a new or renewed interest in the genre, would benefit from a more elaborate selection, or some kind of canon. The old canon has been challenged, so now we all get the chance to add to the new one.

Total Posts: 5848

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 5057

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I agree that for most people posting their Top 100, that represents the best of the last 100 games of the last 120 they remember playing. And it is not representative of any real qualitative poll.

I also agree with Karlok. (Please do not let the gods come crashing on my head.) It’s unlikely that many of the consensus top 100 will receive more than four or five votes. The sample size is simply too small.

I also think the poll skews to a younger age group.

I’m going to use one of my games as an example. Amber: Journey Beyond was in my top list. Most current voters have probably never heard of it. And, like Black Dahlia, it can’t be played on current systems, it will never be recognized for the great game it is.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 7478

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

rtrooney - 15 July 2022 08:55 PM

I also agree with Karlok. (Please do not let the gods come crashing on my head.)

A cardinal sin. Repent!

It’s unlikely that many of the consensus top 100 will receive more than four or five votes. The sample size is simply too small.

The few attempts to attract more people were nipped in the bud.

I also think the poll skews to a younger age group.

I’m going to use one of my games as an example. Amber: Journey Beyond was in my top list. Most current voters have probably never heard of it. And, like Black Dahlia, it can’t be played on current systems, it will never be recognized for the great game it is.

Some clever people figured out how to play Amber and BD on modern machines. But I haven’t tried it myself.

https://www.old-games.com/download/8768/amber-journeys-beyond
https://www.old-games.com/download/8763/black-dahlia

PROM, NAPOL, PROM! - The Rise of the Golden Idol

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top