• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

angelus_04

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Night of the Rabbit

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Gabe - 02 June 2013 04:12 AM

If the only adult themes came up your mind are sinister and disturbing that’s your priorty.

And if the only child themes that come up in your mind are anthropomorphic creatures then that’s yours. I bet you couldn’t wrap your head around most of the themes in Alice in Wonderland (not that the average person could anyway).

Dag - 02 June 2013 05:29 AM

In my opinion, this is the best adventure game released so far in 2013.

It’s a definite contender. There’s not a lot of competition but it is the most enjoyable game I’ve played this year. The artistry is what is shining through to me so far, which didn’t happen in some of Daedelic’s previous fantasy games like Chains of Satinav.

Total Posts: 6598

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Oscar - 02 June 2013 05:59 AM

It’s a definite contender.

Nice to hear that, although I was put off by somewhat lower score on Atreff and Adventure Corner compared to previous Daedalic games. However, even though I’d need to play it first, I think I’d rather choose “illogical” puzzles than casually-easy puzzles, because what might be “illogical” for one person might work for another, and I do recall that some reviewers criticized The Whispered World for the very same reason, and I’ve found it to be one of the better games in last couple of years puzzle-wise.

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1088

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

And if the only child themes that come up in your mind are anthropomorphic creatures then that’s yours. I bet you couldn’t wrap your head around most of the themes in Alice in Wonderland (not that the average person could anyway).

Dont expect you to understand but seeing rip off characters from Alice doesn’t make me think that game have anything to do with Carrol’s genius.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Gabe - 02 June 2013 07:32 AM

Dont expect you to understand but seeing rip off characters from Alice doesn’t make me think that game have anything to do with Carrol’s genius.

Alice in Wonderland is clearly a source of inspiration for the game, if nothing else.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 1368

Joined 2012-09-28

PM

diego - 02 June 2013 07:21 AM

It’s a definite contender.

Nice to hear that, although I was put off by somewhat lower score on Atreff and Adventure Corner compared to previous Daedalic games. However, even though I’d need to play it first, I think I’d rather choose “illogical” puzzles than casually-easy puzzles, because what might be “illogical” for one person might work for another, and I do recall that some reviewers criticized The Whispered World for the very same reason, and I’ve found it to be one of the better games in last couple of years puzzle-wise.

I haven’t played NOTR yet but I wouldn’t be surprised if the puzzles are not great. Daedelic make some wonderful worlds to be in but their gameplay in general is not their strongest point. Even without knowing anything about NOTR I can tell you that most of the puzzles will be inventory-based, based on very vague clues and require me to try a lot of random item combinations before I solve them. Usually the “aha!” moment in adventure games comes before solving the puzzle: with Daedelic it comes after.

This might sound harsh but everything else about their games is great: I think if they can only fix their puzzles they would be a brilliant company instead of a very good one.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Zifnab - 02 June 2013 09:39 AM

Usually the “aha!” moment in adventure games comes before solving the puzzle: with Daedelic it comes after.

That is exactly what annoys me about Daedelic’s games. I’m stuck in the second section of the game with a number of seemingly basic tasks to take care of (no spoilers):
1. There’s a “troll” on a bridge asking for a toll. He’s hungry so I need to give him something. Why can’t I give him a free cupcake from the cafe? I can’t even take one.
2. A sleepy mouse asks me for coffee. So why can’t I get any from the coffee machine?
3. The game tells me I need to prop a door open when someone opens it, but whenever I try this it tells me the same thing again.
4. There are horns (musical) all around the place but I can’t use them, only look at them (and when you do he says “maybe you can use it to call someone?”)
When I know what I have to do but the game doesn’t let me do it, it’s very frustrating. If the game gave me reasons, fine. But it doesn’t, it just doesn’t let me do what I want. Maybe it’s the translation from German that makes it difficult, I don’t know. Or could it be that I only have “look” or “use” at my disposal? It’s a problem anyway, and a big one.  You should not have to solve a puzzle in your head and spend the next 30 minutes figuring out how to get the game to understand what you want to do.

Diego: What on earth is there to like about Daedelic’s puzzles? They aren’t terrible, but neither are they “some of the better puzzles in recent years”. Compared with the classics they are very lacking in quality indeed.

Total Posts: 3000

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Oscar - 03 June 2013 02:21 AM

[What on earth is there to like about Daedelic’s puzzles? They aren’t terrible, but neither are they “some of the better puzzles in recent years”.

The Spot uses in TWW were some of the most inventive puzzles in recent years IMHO. Unfortunately, they probably are the exception. (though Chains of Satinav and Deponia had some clever puzzles too)

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Usually the “aha!” moment in adventure games comes before solving the puzzle: with Daedelic it comes after.

That is exactly what annoys me about Daedelic’s games. I’m stuck in the second section of the game with a number of seemingly basic tasks to take care of (no spoilers):
1. There’s a “troll” on a bridge asking for a toll. He’s hungry so I need to give him something. Why can’t I give him a free cupcake from the cafe? I can’t even take one.
2. A sleepy mouse asks me for coffee. So why can’t I get any from the coffee machine?
3. The game tells me I need to prop a door open when someone opens it, but whenever I try this it tells me the same thing again.
4. There are horns (musical) all around the place but I can’t use them, only look at them (and when you do he says “maybe you can use it to call someone?”)
When I know what I have to do but the game doesn’t let me do it, it’s very frustrating. If the game gave me reasons, fine. But it doesn’t, it just doesn’t let me do what I want. Maybe it’s the translation from German that makes it difficult, I don’t know. Or could it be that I only have “look” or “use” at my disposal? It’s a problem anyway, and a big one.  You should not have to solve a puzzle in your head and spend the next 30 minutes figuring out how to get the game to understand what you want to do.

Diego: What on earth is there to like about Daedelic’s puzzles? They aren’t terrible, but neither are they “some of the better puzzles in recent years”. Compared with the classics they are very lacking in quality indeed.

I understand what you’re saying, though these things didn’t bother me quite as much.

1. I don’t know why you couldn’t pick up a cupcake, I did, and don’t remember not being able to. The reason why the “troll” doesn’t want it is because it’s a “healthy” cupcake, which probably doesn’t taste sweet Wink

2. You can get coffee from the coffee machine, but you’ll need a suitable container, and you can only use said container to get coffee if you’re not currently using it to contain other stuff. Giving coffee to that mouse is an optional puzzle, but there are other things you’ll need coffee for.

3. The door part I haven’t figured out yet, but I assume I need to trigger some event(s) before it becomes actual to do something about that.

4. At a later point in the game, the horns will function as teleport devices.

As with most of the things you “can’t do” yet the game, there are events that needs to be triggered before they can be done. I think the game did a decent job of hinting at which puzzles you should focus on, and leaving us clues about so many puzzles from the getgo gives you time to ponder about them until you have what you need to solve them, but I agree, there could’ve be more responses explaining why certain actions cannot be done yet.

So far I haven’t needed a walkthrough, but I have been stuck a couple times. Putting the game away for a short while has usually helped me get back to it with fresh ideas. The solutions have all been logical, even though the order in which to do them doesn’t necessarily seem to be.

Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dag
I figured out most of that, thanks. I hadn’t rung the bell on the other side of the cafe, which I needed to do for Anja to come around and give me the cupcake.

How were you able to give the spiked coffee to the gunner? When I try to give it to him hot he gives a speech about how Anja’s is closed at night ... Then when it goes cold he tells me he wants it hot.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Oscar - 03 June 2013 08:32 AM

How were you able to give the spiked coffee to the gunner? When I try to give it to him hot he gives a speech about how Anja’s is closed at night ... Then when it goes cold he tells me he wants it hot.

If by gunner, we’re still talking about the sleepy mouse, I think all u need to do is move quickly. After filling the mug, exit the café (using doubleclicks on the exit) and go to the back of the cafè using the exit located between the café and the town hall (again using doubleclicks). I didn’t notice this exit at first myself, so it could be that your taking the long route around? In case we’re not still talking about the sleepy mouse, the other use(s) of hot coffee I’ve come across doesn’t come into play untill you’ve unlocked a certain shortcut.

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Dag - 03 June 2013 10:08 AM
Oscar - 03 June 2013 08:32 AM

If by gunner, we’re still talking about the sleepy mouse, I think all u need to do is move quickly. After filling the mug, exit the café (using doubleclicks on the exit) and go to the back of the cafè using the exit located between the café and the town hall (again using doubleclicks). I didn’t notice this exit at first myself, so it could be that your taking the long route around? In case we’re not still talking about the sleepy mouse, the other use(s) of hot coffee I’ve come across doesn’t come into play untill you’ve unlocked a certain shortcut.

I’m talking about the guy
standing next to the cannon at the city gate, not the one with his head on the table. Maybe I haven’t triggered something yet, but that doesn’t explain why Jeremiah tries to give the coffee when it’s cold (unsuccessfully) but not when it’s hot. I’m pretty sure it’s something I need to do as well. Hmm.

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Hmmm, I don’t think you’re supposed to give coffee to that guy, atleast I haven’t. Maybe it’s yet another thing that comes later, but I somehow doubt it. At the point in the game I’m at, I’ve stopped thinking about coffee Confused

Total Posts: 466

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

Dag - 03 June 2013 11:02 AM

Maybe it’s yet another thing that comes later, but I somehow doubt it.

That particular coffee puzzle is something that comes later.

Now Playing: Final Fantasy VII Rebirth, Baldur’s Gate 3, Alan Wake Remastered, Legend of Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom
Recently Completed: Eiyuden Chronicle: Hundred Heroes, Immortals of Aveum, Senua’s Saga: Hellblade 2, Lies of P, Harold Halibut, Another Crab’s Treasure, Botany Manor
Anticipating: Beyond Good and Evil 2
Backing: Asylum. Broken Sword: Reforged CE

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Reposted from another thread as this seem definitely the right place/thread for it..

Playing The Rabbit Apprentice (i would like to call it that ) .. somehow,generally
i always think of some things every time i am playing daedalic’s Adventures.. i think of those feelings i always grasp/get through each and every game of this great developer.
1.the deep connection with the adventures of the classic era.
2.how they really represent a Modern (nowadays) Sierra as always i wonder that it isn’t just a coincidence! (this feeling just can not be a coincidence with every title they developed from TWW to TRA or night of the ...) i believe someone there knows intentionally what he/she is doing… , that has to leave you/me in-touch with Sierra’s forgotten cores .
anyone remembers deponia 2 sierra’s death scene egg easter! it was fabulous.

i guess i said it before once or twice ‘daedalic is the best thing that happened for adventure gaming in the past 4 years’ , even better than the kickstarters phenomena .. as daedalic is here to stay and even to upgrade with every and each year (four titles a year who else doing that or what else any adventurer can dream of) .. but back for kickstarters ....Who knosw!

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

The thing is that already in 2nd chapter, we start in a rather large area with many different task or puzzles to work on simultaneously, but the tasks are still intertwined and not completely separated, which is not something we see very often in modern games. The examples you mention are pretty much all a result of something else that has to be done before you can do this, and i believe very common when you have non-linearity in this way. Yes it could have done a better job of explaining why you can’t just take some free coffee etc, but i found that if i just work on the things i can do, then sooner or later i will get an item i need for one of the other tasks.

The problem i have myself with this game, is that i don’t really find the story to be compelling, not that the puzzles aren’t good.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top