• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 23 August 2013 11:17 PM

I know J talked about posting screenshots. Maybe I missed something while I was away. What is the procedure for doing same? Just in case I have a chance. Do we post them here?

When submitting screenshots for the site, the idea is to zip/rar them and to mail them to Jack at jackal(at)adventuregamers(dot)com. At least that’s been the procedure for the last year.

The recent recruitment drive has an opening for ‘screenshot coordinator’. I reckon once we get an official announcement about who that’ll be, we’ll be sending screenshots to him/her instead of to Jack.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

I finished Age of Enigma today. Have to say: for a casual, it’s about as close to a “classic” point-n’-click as I’ve seen (none of that “hidden object” business)*, and it’s fun, to boot. None of the puzzles are hard, really, but some stumped me simply because (1) I have spatial orienteering issues and (2) numbers scare the bejeezus out of me (I shuddered a little bit just typing that list out ;-P).

*EDIT: Not that there’s anything wrong with HO games. I’ve just never understood the appeal. Couldn’t understand “Where’s Waldo”‘s appeal, either.

K R Parkinson - Staff Writer

Contact: .(JavaScript must be enabled to view this email address)

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Galvanic_Spiral—Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost is on my top ten casuals list. From what I can tell, it didn’t sell as well as the developers had hoped, possibly because of the stylized graphics or possibly because it was just enough ahead of its time to miss finding a fan base. I wonder, if it had an initial release now, instead of two years ago, would it be more successful?

Total Posts: 5063

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I picked it up based on the two recent recommendations. I like the “anime” style graphics. The “cartoonishness” of it reminds me, in a way, of Emerald City Confidential, albeit with a much more subdued color palette.

Puzzles so far aren’t terribly difficult. But I keep finding myself missing one key element in each sequence, e.g. finding the lantern to put in the Bridal Suite in the second sequence.

Well worth a credit.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Becky - 25 August 2013 10:44 AM

Galvanic_Spiral—Age of Enigma: The Secret of the Sixth Ghost is on my top ten casuals list. From what I can tell, it didn’t sell as well as the developers had hoped, possibly because of the stylized graphics or possibly because it was just enough ahead of its time to miss finding a fan base. I wonder, if it had an initial release now, instead of two years ago, would it be more successful?

I don’t know. That’s a good question, though. I think one of the questions to ask in pursuit of that is “Why have hidden object games become so popular, and games like Age of Enigma not-so-much.”

I admit ignorance of the casual game scene, so are they more popular now than they were two years ago? If so, that would seem to indicate that point-and-clicks in general might have a larger market base than they’ve had for a long time.

And, I’d love your thoughts on why hidden object games have seemed to flood the market in recent years. I’ve always thought that it is born from both the popularity of “hidden-picture”-type puzzle games, and the relative ease of developing such a game.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Galvanic_Spiral - 25 August 2013 08:41 PM

I think one of the questions to ask in pursuit of that is “Why have hidden object games become so popular, and games like Age of Enigma not-so-much.”

I admit ignorance of the casual game scene, so are they more popular now than they were two years ago? If so, that would seem to indicate that point-and-clicks in general might have a larger market base than they’ve had for a long time.

And, I’d love your thoughts on why hidden object games have seemed to flood the market in recent years. I’ve always thought that it is born from both the popularity of “hidden-picture”-type puzzle games, and the relative ease of developing such a game.

I have theories based on what I’ve observed—of course I can’t say how close my theories are to reality. Hidden Object games have been selling well, especially on Big Fish, for quite some time. Developers have been adding adventure elements to the original HO mechanic (for instance, inventory item challenges, larger environments, somewhat more complex stories), and these elements seem to be welcomed by casual gamers and have extended the popularity of the genre.

Hidden Object games have maintained their accessibility (point-and-click interface), and they can be played in quick chunks for gamers who have only, say, a half-an-hour here and there to play. They ease frustration by allowing the gamer to skip puzzles that are taking too long to solve. They mostly shy away from arcade-like challenges that require quick reflexes. They have hint systems so gamers aren’t left up the creek wondering what on earth to do next.

If you are a gamer who loves puzzles, HO games provide them much more compactly than adventure games do—sometimes there are as many as two or even three puzzles/challenges per screen.

As for what happened with Age of Enigma: from what I can tell, many of the gamers who play these games are older than the typical gamer. Unlike younger generations, they didn’t grow up with relatively sophisticated stories being told via graphic novels and animated cartoons. Stylized “cartoon-like” graphics with a sophisticated, dark story, like the one in Age of Enigma, may seem odd to them.

Lately, gamers have become satiated by too many traditional “find” list HO games, IMHO. That’s why we’re now seeing more interactivity on HO screens, or the choice to play another type of challenge instead of HOs (jigsaw puzzles, Match 3, etc. as an alternative). Some of the premium HO games offer fewer and fewer HO screens per game. It’s almost as though “Hidden Object” is a brand for everything else about these games, though the HO challenges themselves are less prominent.

I still see casual gamers complain if the HO games become too adventure-like, though. I’ve seen complaints from casual gamers because the environments in a certain game don’t have enough puzzles (fancy that—a screen without a puzzle!). And if the hint system doesn’t eliminate the frustration of not knowing what to do next, casual gamers will ask for more specific hints. Adventure gamers, on the other hand, have been trained to expect that figuring out what to do next is part of the challenge, even when it means lots of wandering about.

Have I (sort of) answered your questions?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished Age of Enigma. Excellent game, but far too short. The puzzles were fairly easy except for two. The first: memorizing the positions and/or color of the herbs was impossible! So I cheated by drawing a grid and filling it in during the 28 seconds or so we were given to memorize the layout. (Hey! We take notes during regular adventure games don’t we?) The second: the numerical puzzles with the herbs during the last episode made absolutely no sense to me, and I skipped them. I even looked at the BFG blog WT, and still didn’t understand the puzzle’s premise, or how the solutions were arrived at.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-10

PM

Becky - 26 August 2013 12:09 PM

SNIP for space.

Have I (sort of) answered your questions?

Yes, definitely! I wouldn’t have thought the art style would put off older gamers, but I suppose that makes a certain sense.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 26 August 2013 12:09 PM

I have theories based on what I’ve observed—of course I can’t say how close my theories are to reality.

As for what happened with Age of Enigma: from what I can tell, many of the gamers who play these games are older than the typical gamer. Unlike younger generations, they didn’t grow up with relatively sophisticated stories being told via graphic novels and animated cartoons. Stylized “cartoon-like” graphics with a sophisticated, dark story, like the one in Age of Enigma, may seem odd to them.

While I agree with 99% of what you say, I differ on two points. The first being the definition of a Hidden Object Game v. a Casual Game containing Hidden Object Scenes. The former is exemplified by publishers such as Spin Top Games. They are wonderful. The graphics are beyond compare. But the sole objective is to get the highest score.

Then there are the “Adventure Lite” games that combined a rudimentary plot around hidden object scenes. I don’t know who was the first, but let’s say it was ERS. Players who were hankering for something more than a high score ate them up.

And that’s where we are today. Except…some developers asked “What if we eliminate the HO scenes altogether?” But if the games still offer hints and skip buttons, they are still considered “Casual Games.” Except…some recent remakes have offered some of these features that were not available in the original games. So who is kidding who?

The other part I disagree with is the one in the above quote. I think the “older gamer”, and I am certainly one of those, grew up in a gaming era that would be far more accepting of a game such as Age of Enigma than would those of a younger generation.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

rtrooney - 27 August 2013 08:42 PM

I think the “older gamer”, and I am certainly one of those, grew up in a gaming era that would be far more accepting of a game such as Age of Enigma than would those of a younger generation.

Intriguing. Do you think “older gamers” would be more accepting of Age of Enigma’s graphics than would a younger generation? Or would they be more accepting of some other aspect of the game than would a younger generation? And why?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Becky - 29 August 2013 10:35 AM

Intriguing. Do you think “older gamers” would be more accepting of Age of Enigma’s graphics than would a younger generation? Or would they be more accepting of some other aspect of the game than would a younger generation? And why?

I started playing games on an RBG monitor on an 8088 machine. The graphics in Age of Enigma are stunning by comparison. Ditto the gameplay. I was unaware of the concept of hint buttons and skip options until I started playing casual games. So the gameplay in Age of Enigma is quite familiar, as it would be for anyone who would be classified as an “older gamer.”

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 29 August 2013 06:44 PM

classified as an “older gamer.”

I’ve a feeling you’re mostly referring to “experienced gamers”. I’m not sure, but I think Becky meant it more along the lines of “older people who are relatively new at gaming” instead.
Big difference, imo.

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

TimovieMan - 30 August 2013 12:15 PM

classified as an “older gamer.”

I’ve a feeling you’re mostly referring to “experienced gamers”. I’m not sure, but I think Becky meant it more along the lines of “older people who are relatively new at gaming” instead.
Big difference, imo.

Yes, I should have drawn a distinction between older gamers and experienced or longtime gamers.

Becky - 29 August 2013 10:35 AM

I started playing games on an RBG monitor on an 8088 machine. The graphics in Age of Enigma are stunning by comparison. Ditto the gameplay. I was unaware of the concept of hint buttons and skip options until I started playing casual games. So the gameplay in Age of Enigma is quite familiar, as it would be for anyone who would be classified as an “older gamer.”

By “older gamers” I meant people in, say the Baby Boomer generation, with “younger gamers” being people in say, the Millennial generation. Longtime gamers (and this is a fairly arbitrary definition) are those who have been playing games for a decade or more. You could be a Millennial and still be a longtime gamer, or a Boomer and be relatively new to gaming (I would say that this is actually fairly common).

One reason that I suspect that the stylized graphics might have been an issue for Age of Enigma is that many gamers I know who are from the Boomer generation have mentioned to me that they much prefer “photorealistic” graphics and hesitate to buy games with “cartoon” graphics. Though some Millennials undoubtedly also have these same preferences, I have never heard a Millennial express this particular opinion. Admittedly, “gamers-I-know” is a small sample compared to the millions of gamers out there, but that is my experience. I’ve also seen casual gamers commenting on a stylized Hidden Object game, saying that they first assumed that the game was for children because of the “cartoon” graphics and were surprised to discover that the game contained dark themes.

rtrooney - 27 August 2013 08:42 PM

While I agree with 99% of what you say, I differ on two points. The first being the definition of a Hidden Object Game v. a Casual Game containing Hidden Object Scenes. The former is exemplified by publishers such as Spin Top Games. They are wonderful. The graphics are beyond compare. But the sole objective is to get the highest score.

Then there are the “Adventure Lite” games that combined a rudimentary plot around hidden object scenes. I don’t know who was the first, but let’s say it was ERS. Players who were hankering for something more than a high score ate them up.

And that’s where we are today. Except…some developers asked “What if we eliminate the HO scenes altogether?” But if the games still offer hints and skip buttons, they are still considered “Casual Games.” Except…some recent remakes have offered some of these features that were not available in the original games. So who is kidding who?

Yes, good point – when I say “Hidden Object games,” I mean what you’re defining as “‘Adventure Lite’ games that combined a rudimentary plot around hidden object scenes.”

As for distinguishing adventure lite/casual adventures from “traditional” adventure games—my current theory is that adventure games are storyworlds with puzzles integrated in such a way as to involve the player while aiding the story or the discovery of the gameworld.

Adventure-ish HO games are puzzle games with an added story layer, with graphics that are a stage setting for the (less complicated) story and (smaller) world. I don’t think that hints or skips are part of the definition.

So in an adventure game, the developer is usually:

A. Trying to tell a complex story with in-depth characterization and plenty of dialog (example: The Longest Journey)

or

B. Trying to immerse the gamer in an extensive, complex, imaginative world where the locations themselves tell a story (example: the Myst games).

On the other hand, the developer of an adventure-ish HO game is trying to feature lots of different puzzles plus some HO screens, often grouped closely together in an engaging setting, while telling a story that usually has very little to do with the puzzles. Dialog will be kept to a minimum and characterization will be quick. This combination works quite well – good example: Grim Tales: The Legacy.

I agree that, as Hidden Object games focus more and more on storytelling and expand their environments (even to having areas that are there to aid exploration and immersion without containing puzzles) they are becoming more and more like adventure games.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I fit into both categories. I’m a “boomer,” and the 8088 I referred to was purchased in the 80s. So I guess I am an “experienced gamer” as well. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5867

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’m trying to play more Adventures rather than Casuals at the mo but Age of Enigma rang a bell & I realised I’d played it a couple of times when it first came out. I’ve just started playing it again & agree that the graphics are very good - I love the art-style & the gameplay is familiar as a person that fits into the category of Boomer & Long-term Player!

Becky - 30 August 2013 12:38 PM

I’ve also seen casual gamers commenting on a stylized Hidden Object game, saying that they first assumed that the game was for children because of the “cartoon” graphics and were surprised to discover that the game contained dark themes.

I think it’s the art-style & theme that kept me going with this game - I would call the graphics stylized as apart from the portrayal of the protagonist I thought they were more sophisticated than what you’d expect from ‘cartoon’ graphics & therefore not aimed at children?

I see that the game didn’t sell well but to be quite honest I found most of the puzzles (if not all) either uninspiring or weak & along with the simplistic story not enough to give the game enough substance or interest overall.   

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top