• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5063

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I finished it today. The only character I can see as a carryover between the two games is the Hobo/Gypsy.

Are you referring to the tile puzzle with four portraits?

The game was excellent. I’m not sure which one I like better. The second is a bit more polished, but this one had a slightly better story. Inasmuch as gave Child of the Forest 4/5 I really can’t justify going any higher for Perfect Show. So I give it 4/5 stars as well.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

rtrooney - 05 August 2013 06:25 PM

Are you referring to the tile puzzle with four portraits?

Yes, I didn’t realize that you could “freeze” a tile in place by switching to a different portrait and rotating the others.  I thought it was just a very complex mathematical puzzle.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 05 August 2013 06:37 PM

Yes, I didn’t realize that you could “freeze” a tile in place by switching to a different portrait and rotating the others.  I thought it was just a very complex mathematical puzzle.

I actually thought the puzzle was very easy to solve…..once I realized the were multiple portraits in play. That only took about five minutes of putzing around before the light went on. Smile

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay and others who have played Perfect Show....

Did any of you find all the masks? I didn’t. If you did, what was the reward?

Reminds me of Alien Town where finding all 40 of the morphing objects gets your. wait for the drum roll….NOTHING.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Interplay - 05 August 2013 06:37 PM

I felt somewhat the same way about several of the puzzles. The “Emily” puzzle is one. Initially it seems quite complex, worth of either an hours worth of trial and error, or a SKIP. But on second play, which I’m working my way through right now, palm hits forehead, and I wonder how I could have missed the puzzle’s simplicity. Either the developers are lucky, or they are geniuses.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

rtrooney - 06 August 2013 06:49 PM

Interplay and others who have played Perfect Show....

Did any of you find all the masks? I didn’t. If you did, what was the reward?

Reminds me of Alien Town where finding all 40 of the morphing objects gets your. wait for the drum roll….NOTHING.

I didn’t find all the masks.  But I consistently found one on each new screen.  This makes me think maybe you have to play through the CE to get all the masks.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

I just played through Grim Facade: Sinister Obsession.  ERS game.  Kind of old school graphics.  Gameplay was fun.  I played the SE version, and it has an abrupt, nonsensical ending.  Apparently, this is one of those where you absolutely have to have the CE version to finish the story (unacceptable).  I enjoyed the game while I was playing it, but even without the abrupt ending I thought it was mediocre and I would not recommend it.  2/5.

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

So, I played through Rite of Passage: Child of the Forest.  I really loved it.  That game is polished to a high sheen.  The story was good, though probably not as excellent as the first game.  Puzzles and HO scenes were very fun.  Very addictive game.  I think it was definitely one of the best casuals I’ve played this year.  I would give it 4.5/5.  Its only flaw is that it seemed too short to me.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Hey, all you diehard casual gamers!

Hopefully you’ll notice it all on your own, but there’s a section in our new recruitment article that directly impacts whether the site can continue to “cover” casual games (database entries only for HOG adventure hybrids, full reviews for non-HOG lite adventures). If even a few people here are willing to check out a small handful of new casual demos each month and snap some pics while you’re at it, we can continue to do exactly what we’ve been doing.

If taking and uploading all those screenshots still proves too much hassle, we’ll have to scratch that. But even then, we’d like people eyeballing all the new demos to alert us when the rare non-HOG adventure sneaks out (most recently, Forest Legends, Namariel Legends, etc.)

Anyone, anytime can tell us about the latter, but we’d like to formalize it a bit with a small group of people if possible. Otherwise, there’s no way to know if there’s simply nothing new out there, or if there are and they’re falling through the cracks.

There’s no pressure at all to help out, but it’s not a big time commitment, and consists of nothing more than playing games! So if you’re interested, please let me know, either by PM or at jackal(at)adventuregamers.com.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Jackal - 09 August 2013 12:19 PM

Hey, all you diehard casual gamers!

Hopefully you’ll notice it all on your own, but there’s a section in our new recruitment article that directly impacts whether the site can continue to “cover” casual games (database entries only for HOG adventure hybrids, full reviews for non-HOG lite adventures). If even a few people here are willing to check out a small handful of new casual demos each month and snap some pics while you’re at it, we can continue to do exactly what we’ve been doing.

If taking and uploading all those screenshots still proves too much hassle, we’ll have to scratch that. But even then, we’d like people eyeballing all the new demos to alert us when the rare non-HOG adventure sneaks out (most recently, Forest Legends, Namariel Legends, etc.)

Anyone, anytime can tell us about the latter, but we’d like to formalize it a bit with a small group of people if possible. Otherwise, there’s no way to know if there’s simply nothing new out there, or if there are and they’re falling through the cracks.

There’s no pressure at all to help out, but it’s not a big time commitment, and consists of nothing more than playing games! So if you’re interested, please let me know, either by PM or at jackal(at)adventuregamers.com.

Certainly an intersting proposition, and worthy of some thought. We all play a few casual games each month, so that is not much of a problem. As for screenshots, my ability to capture same is to hit Alt-PrtScn, copy the image into paint, and save the image in a usable (jpg) format. If something more sophisticated is needed, point us in the right direction.

I play six or seven demos a month. I usually write a quick review of my impressions. But the purpose of playing the demos isn’t so I can write reviews. It’s so I can decide what I want to buy. I’m guessing most of the other contributors to this thread feel the same way. And, by the way, while we may really enjoy playing casual games because of what they are, almost all of us are diehard adventure gamers as well. Early in the AVS playthrough I commented to Interplay that it was enjoyable to have another casual gamer along for the ride. He was, jokeingly, not pleased with my characterization of him as a casual gamer.

I have not played much this summer. Aside from the AVS playthrough I’ve also been involved in planning a total gut-job/remodel of my kitchen which will start on Aug 28. End date is unspecified. I, personally, may be unable to participate in the project until construction is complete. Or I may contribute massively as a way to get away from the dust and construction noise.

A few other things. I keep a database of casual game developers. The link is at the end of this message. (Thank you TiMovieman for acknowledging the effort the people here have put into it.) It’s open so anybody can contribute. Unfortunately, very few of the developers have the capabilty of notifying me when new games are in process. The exception is Artifex-Mundi. All the other information I get is pretty much through BFG.

Last thought, and I know the formatting will be imperfect, but following is the casual games posting in the new recruitment artcle.

Casual Game Contributors

Under the supervision of an existing coordinator, we’re looking for team of people to play each new “lite adventure” (including HOG hybrids) demo to determine their possible suitability for the site, taking screenshots as you play. Number of games per month will depend on the number of volunteers, but hopefully no more than 3-4 per month.

What exactly constitutes “suitability for the site”? A pretty nebulous phrase.

I hope you will recall that I proposed something very similar shortly after AG stopped reviewing casuals. The reason for stopping, among others, was that there were simply too many being released to keep up. I agree, but the phrase “team of people to play each new “lite adventure” needs to be changed. If you can’t do it, I’m not sure we can either.

I look forward to refining this.

Tim

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 974

Joined 2007-02-23

PM

rtrooney - 09 August 2013 07:27 PM

As for screenshots, my ability to capture same is to hit Alt-PrtScn, copy the image into paint, and save the image in a usable (jpg) format. If something more sophisticated is needed, point us in the right direction.

Taking a screenshot the old-fashioned way should (to the best of my knowledge) be fine - but I’d recommend you to not save as jpeg or jpg in paint, as it distorts the image (unless this has been fixed in a newer version - I’m used to paint for XP). Instead you should simply save as png, so it’s nothing more than a simple extra click to change fileformat when saving Smile

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Get FRAPS. Screenshots with the program are free without watermark. Get it. Saves you the hassle.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’m not really sure what all you’re trying to say in that message, rtrooney. I’m not looking for people to review anything or even post impressions, just play demos and take screenshots. But in a coordinated fashion so that nothing’s falling through the cracks.

Basic Print Screen image captures is absolutely fine if it works in your OS (doesn’t seem to in all of them anymore).

Your database really doesn’t impact what we’re doing one way or the other.

rtrooney - 09 August 2013 07:27 PM

What exactly constitutes “suitability for the site”? A pretty nebulous phrase.

It’s nebulous because it’s a moot point now. I’ll take the time to detail it if/when I get three or four people (or more) who want to help out.

I agree, but the phrase “team of people to play each new “lite adventure” needs to be changed. If you can’t do it, I’m not sure we can either.

Not following you here. Because I no longer have time to do something all by myself, a team of people can’t do it either?

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

If all you wanted was to have a few of us take screneshots of the games we’ve played and of demos we might decide to play, and submit them to some unknown entity, you should have said that without all the hyperbole that went with the original message.

I think we can do that.

That said, you and I don’t seem to get along that well. And I wouldn’t base that statement on this conversation alone. You make statements that I, obviously, misinterpret. And you often comment quite negatively on my misinterpretation.

I think that there are some really good people participating in this venue who would be more than willing to do what you would like to have done, if only we knew for sure what that was.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Well, you’re right that I tire of you repeatedly misinterpreting what I say and usually taking a contrarian kind of approach in responding. Who wouldn’t?

And you’ve once again misrepresented what I’m requesting, so I’ll say it again in the same plain English I did originally:

I’m looking for a team of people who will collectively play each new casual adventure released and take screenshots. NOT just the games they “decide to play”.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top