• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Casual Games Thread

Total Posts: 5063

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I both promote the project, and suggest that anyone who wishes to participate in same contact Jack directly.

Inasmuch as I am now getting into the serious phase of kitchen remodeling, i.e., I bought all the new appliances today, I doubt I will be participating in the near future.

A bit of practical consideration: BFG promotes a “New Game Every Day.” If math serves, that’s about 30 games/month. If four of you participate, and I think I know the four I would select, and each of you play four demos/month, we’re still not going to be able to play every new release. If sixteen demos/week with seven or eight screenshots/demo is OK with Jack, I say go for it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

I’m only referring to casual adventure demos, of course. There aren’t 30 of those each month. There’s maybe half of that. We aren’t covering the time management and marble popper and match 3 games, etc.

But yes, if interested, please contact me at the email listed earlier. Didn’t mean to hijack your regularly scheduled game discussions here.

Total Posts: 133

Joined 2006-02-14

PM

How will the games be chosen? Will we have to pay attention to reviews and other game sites to see which games qualify as lite-adventures?

I tend to every-second month download all the new/popular demoes (since last time) on BFG’s adventure/HOG sub-site and play through them all. It wouldn’t take me much longer to pick up some screenshots/evaluate them.

But, I seem to very often have completely different opinions of HOGs than many others on this forum.
For example I thought Child of the Forest had a lot better/higher quality than the latest 1000 doors, which everyone else seemed to prefer (I am very biased against cheap, ugly-looking 3D modelling).
I also think Linden Shades was up on the quality of an Adventure game, and if it had just cut its (few) HO scenes it would have been. But it still had HOs, so would it have qualified for your list thingy?

I play story-heavy games, watch animation, anime, B-movies, disaster movies, sci-fi movies and crime shows and try to write about it all on my blog: Snark, pedantry and random geekery

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Panthera - 13 August 2013 07:11 PM

For example I thought Child of the Forest had a lot better/higher quality than the latest 1000 doors, which everyone else seemed to prefer.

Not true at all! I think Interplay and I thought both games were very impressive. He rated both 4.5/5 and I rated them both 4/5 The only comparison with 1000 Doors was graphic quality.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 54

Joined 2009-06-05

PM

Monolith - 10 August 2013 01:36 PM

Get FRAPS. Screenshots with the program are free without watermark. Get it. Saves you the hassle.

I suggest BandiCam actually. Less of a resource hog, and the unregistered version does screenshots without a watermark. Videos are watermarked though.

FRAPS is quite bad with memory management, not worth the money. If you feel like paying for a program then BandiCam or DXTory are both fantastic.

Just had to reply to that!

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

indigoo - 13 August 2013 08:49 PM
Monolith - 10 August 2013 01:36 PM

Get FRAPS. Screenshots with the program are free without watermark. Get it. Saves you the hassle.

I suggest BandiCam actually. Less of a resource hog, and the unregistered version does screenshots without a watermark. Videos are watermarked though.

FRAPS is quite bad with memory management, not worth the money. If you feel like paying for a program then BandiCam or DXTory are both fantastic.

Just had to reply to that!

Well I’m unsure if you understand that its a resource hog when used for Video, but screenshots….which are free and compressed neatly in a folder is the best option I can think of. I even thought BandiCam during video recording was a resource hog. Though, once again, the point is to use the software for Screenshots not video.

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

Total Posts: 1341

Joined 2012-02-17

PM

Panthera, quality really has nothing to do with it. The only games we’ll review are non-HOG adventures, but any hybrid that’s more adventure than HOG is eligible for uploading to our database. (Random example - Grim Tales: The Wishes - http://www.adventuregamers.com/games/view/22585)

We’ll (hopefully) have one person compiling a list of demos to check out each month, and a small team of people willing to play through them, check to see if they’re “more adventure than HOG” (I’ll provide a slightly more detailed set of criteria, but the player’s discretion will always be involved), and if so, snap pics for uploading to AG. If not, we discard and move on to the next.

There’s a slim possibility we may resurrect the old Casual Collection article feature if enough people are interested, but that DOES involve picking the “best” of the lot and the ability to write about them, so for now I’m just looking for shutterbugs. Smile

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

I’ve been away for a couple of weeks, but I’ve now returned and am continuing my quest for casual games with a steampunk style. One released while I was away—Clockwork Tales of Glass and Ink. I’ve played a short ways in and am surprised at the similarities between the story in this game and Namariel Legends: Iron Lord. Both have eccentric inventors who threaten the local bad guy, both have an evil spy that looks like a giant centipede, and both have a mechanical helper that can access hard-to-reach places.

Maybe there’s something about “steampunk” that triggers these themes/characters?

I bought Clockwork Tales along with Forest Legends: The Call of Love in the recent BOGO sale. I plumped for the latter game because I played for at least half an hour without a single character being kidnapped or imprisoned.

Total Posts: 347

Joined 2006-07-30

PM

On a personal note, I’ve been away from the forums for a little while, and I thought I would let people know why.  My family and I were away on vacation last week, and there was a bad fire at our house.  We were lucky and blessed in a lot of ways, but nevertheless it’s been a trial for sure.  We’ll probably be out of the house for about 6 months.  One of the casualties was my new 3-month-old high-end custom gaming PC (which I shamefully probably used for low-end casual games more than anything else, oh well).  I’ve dug out my old computer which was spared and I’m posting this on the hotel wifi where we’re holed up for awhile.

Another casualty:

Grim Fandango looks a little worse for wear, but I’m hopeful the CD’s are gonna be OK:

Anyway, enough of that.

I commend Jackal for trying to keep the casual thing going.  I can’t really commit to anything at this time secondary to the above. 

I also want to commend the site for its new reviews of the Nightmare Adventures games.  Great games, the both of them, and well worth the highlight. 

Anyway, I’m still stalking the forum but I might not have time to post.

Total Posts: 442

Joined 2006-06-14

PM

That’s too bad, Interplay Frown .  Good luck to you and your family.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I echo Dara100’s sentiments.

I’ve also been away. I’ve been preparing for the kitchen remodel that will start sometime next week. I’m guessing that will be taking up most of my time. I’m lurking too, but will probably not have much chance to play new games or participate until mid-September.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1573

Joined 2003-09-10

PM

Interplay—that’s terrible! I admire your courageous attitude. I hope where you’ll be staying for the next few months is a pleasant place.

Rtrooney—I hope the renovation goes quickly and is relatively stress-free.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

@Interplay: that’s just terrible! I’m so sorry to hear that…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m not exactly in Interplay’s situation. I am only doing a remodel. He is looking at a rebuild. Going what I am going through is a PITA. What he is going through takes that “roid” to a whole different level.

On my end, cabinets that were to arrive on the 28th will now arrive on the 30th. Which, considering the next Monday is Labor day, a holiday in the US, sets everything back at least a week.

So, I played Grim Tales - Bloody Mary Collectors Edition demo. I liked the other games in the series, and with some reservations liked the Stone Queen edition.

This one, not so much.

I seem to have an extra week to work my way through a demo or two. I’ll let you know what I find.

I know J talked about posting screenshots. Maybe I missed something while I was away. What is the procedure for doing same? Just in case I have a chance. Do we post them here?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 880

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

Aside from the terrible incident for Interplay (which I hope for a swift recovery).

Here’s some news about Big Fish Games closure of a studio and cutting of employees.
http://blogs.seattletimes.com/brierdudley/2013/08/21/big-fish-games-cutting-jobs-closing-offices/

I hope this doesn’t affect future MCF games. Frown

Stuart Bradley Newsom - Naughty Shinobi || Our Game: Shadow Over Isolation

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top