• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Had practically a whole evening to play, and it’s obvious again how bloody difficult this game is.

I’ve attended the secret meeting, I’ve obtained the gate pass, but no luck on the golden items yet.

Still have a few options to explore. This game is gonna take a while. Innocent

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Is there something wrong with the forums???
I can see that the spoiler tags in the previous posts have dissapeared (or, more likely, they don’t work)!!

EDIT: It’s ok, I just saw Marek’s thread about it. It is temporary.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

I hope the majority of us are still following the pace…

The next 5 days (aka until the 17th of November) will be dedicated to the hunt of the golden belt and the golden brush!!

Tip 1: We all know how Santa gets into houses right? But does Santa brings toys or toys bring Santa?
Tip 2: An old fellow in the UU might have something you want! There is no need to start a fight to take it! Or is it? Well, at least that’s a thing of the past now.
Tip 3: Even cephalopods have feelings you know! Pehaps Nanny can help you! Have you been to the Dark woods yet? I already feel the love…

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Taking my time to explore and try out a few things earlier, is paying off now.

Obtained the trowel, belt and brush last night. Already had most of the inventory items handy to obtain them, so it didn’t even take me very long.

The hints given to Karlok helped in obtaining the trowel - the game still manages to stump me with alarming frequency (and I’ve played it before!).

Sefir’s new tips only become clear in hindsight. Shifty Eyed
Good thing I remembered a few of the puzzles, though, since the game really does have some insane troll logic at times. Crazy
Fortunately that doesn’t make it any less funny. Grin

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

TimovieMan - 14 November 2014 06:48 AM

Sefir’s new tips only become clear in hindsight. Shifty Eyed
Good thing I remembered a few of the puzzles, though, since the game really does have some insane troll logic at times. Crazy

Look who’s talking…

Total Posts: 2648

Joined 2004-01-18

PM

Sefir - 12 November 2014 04:26 PM

I hope the majority of us are still following the pace…

The next 5 days (aka until the 17th of November) will be dedicated to the hunt of the golden belt and the golden brush!!

Tip 1: We all know how Santa gets into houses right? But does Santa brings toys or toys bring Santa?
Tip 2: An old fellow in the UU might have something you want! There is no need to start a fight to take it! Or is it? Well, at least that’s a thing of the past now.
Tip 3: Even cephalopods have feelings you know! Pehaps Nanny can help you! Have you been to the Dark woods yet? I already feel the love…

I remember that puzzle, it’s the stupidest thing ever. Funny as hell, but stupid.

An adventure game is nothing more than a good story set with engaging puzzles that fit seamlessly in with the story and the characters, and looks and sounds beautiful.
Roberta Williams

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Lucien21 - 14 November 2014 07:58 AM

I remember that puzzle, it’s the stupidest thing ever. Funny as hell, but stupid.

Funny yes - but unfortunately and mysteriously also one of the puzzle I had completely forgot about, and I say unfortunately because it had me puzzled for a long time. The octopus was staring me in the face, so I did have a general idea of what I had to do, but I had unfortunately not yet acquired the prunes or started a fight at the broken drum even though I knew/remembered/could easily deduct that I needed to do so. So I guess I will have to write this down to going too directly for the item, instead of simply doing everything that I actually could do.

But that is of course also the main problem with this game, if you try too directly to do or acquire something then it wont be possible, because you need some other item that you have to get in some other insane way, and which you have absolutely no idea that you need for the puzzle you are actually trying to solve.

Anyway I now have both of the items, and is ready to move forward.

p.s. Did I mention that the “I can’t do that” is starting to annoy me?

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 14 November 2014 07:36 PM

But that is of course also the main problem with this game, if you try too directly to do or acquire something then it wont be possible, because you need some other item that you have to get in some other insane way, and which you have absolutely no idea that you need for the puzzle you are actually trying to solve.

I warned you in the very first post. You need to solve the problems step by step. Sometimes insane steps, but within the game’s logic and assumable if you explored the world first.

Strange. I would have sworn that it was the “That doesn’t work” that gives headaches.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 15 November 2014 02:47 AM

I warned you in the very first post. You need to solve the problems step by step. Sometimes insane steps, but within the game’s logic and assumable if you explored the world first.

Don’t worry, I knew what I got into when I voted for the game - I just forget it sometimes.

Sefir - 15 November 2014 02:47 AM

Strange. I would have sweorn that it was the “That doesn’t work” that gives headaches.

I guess you are right, but you knew what I meant.

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Well, time is up!
Let’s finish this act by finding the next 3 items (aka the golden key, the golden bell and the golden tooth). They are relativelly easy to collect, especially compared to the previous 3 quest items. Some of you mentioned that you have the golden tooth already. There are also some minor actions to do to finish the chapter after that, resulting in an amazing Act end.

You have until the 23rd of November to finish the chapter! Smile

Tip 1: You did collected that feather from the mountainside, didn’t you?
Tip 2: If you think that ladders can be used only vertically, then guess again.
Tip 3: Are you willing to steal an item in order to stop the summoning?

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Getting the 3 last items was not difficult at all, since I already had all the items I needed, though finding the thief did give me a little problem, as I must have walked through the shades a hundred times before I noticed you could walk further right to get to the hovel.

The rest of the act did present a bit more challenge especially getting the book from Nany Ogg, but it was also very funny. If Rincewind just knew how to keep his mouth shut, the whole game could have been over now, but of course he can’t and it isn’t. Continuing the story in this way is an act of pure genius in my opinion.

Oh and I love how they made room for this scene from The Light Fantastic:

Not to mention that the city-guard is once again showing how bright they are:

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

I’ve been reading my first Terry Pratchett book (Guards! Guards!) and it’s one of my favorite things I’ve ever read. I played a little of this game back in the 90s, might be a good time to revisit.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I am finally just getting into act 2.  I had a hunch about L-space (reminiscent of Dr. Who’s E-space) because I had asked the librarian about it before, so through some trial and error, I got him to open the door.  I have crossed over twice and saw the thief take a book twice, but that’s all I can seem to do there.  Is there a pixel I’m missing somewhere?

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Lady Kestrel - 21 November 2014 11:09 PM

I have crossed over twice and saw the thief take a book twice, but that’s all I can seem to do there.  Is there a pixel I’m missing somewhere?

And where does the thief go? Follow him!

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I now have to apologise to you Sefir & everyone else that voted for this playthrough as I did. I was hoping to be able to catch up this last week as I should have had a break from work - that didn’t happen & I now feel I’m too far behind with little time ahead of me to catch up.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top