• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #30: Discworld

Total Posts: 2991

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Today is the day where we move to…ACT II (at least those of us who keep the pace of the playthrough…:P).

We have already discovered the dragon’s hideout.

I warn you!! The 2nd Act is much more difficult than the 1st! Moving through the labyrinths of Discworld is not enough! You will move through time too!!
Before our “main quest” (aka, the quest items) is presented, we will need to discover the (GASP!) members of the dragon ritual. And there is only one way to do that…. (To join the ceremony!!)
There is someone in the library willing to help you….for a price…
After that introductory quest, the search for the quest items begins.

You have until the 10th of November to finish the introductory quest (and of course, re-explore the brand-new Ankh Morpork) as well as the first quest item the golden trowel.

You may also want to search for the rest of the quest items, (the golden belt, the golden key, the golden bell, the golden tooth and the golden brush), but please do not try to obtain them yet.

TIP 1: Have you ever heard of the butterfly effect? One flap of their wings in their past can create a hurricane in the future, or something like that…
TIP 2: Ask someone for a city gate pass. You may need to leave the city for some items.
TIP 3: There is only one way to prove that you are a man and you will find it in the Shades. Don’t forget to go for a small vist to the Patrician’s Palace first…
TIP 4: In the guiding map I posted in the first page, only the starting avaiable locations are presented. That was on purpose of course.

PS: This was my favourite (and IMO the most laughable) moment from ACT 1

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 05 November 2014 07:02 AM

TIP 1: Have you ever heard of the butterfly effect? One flap of their wings in their past can create a hurricane in the future, or something like that…

Quantum weather butterflies:
These butterflies (Papilio tempestae) have wings of an undistinguished yellow with black mandelbrot patterns, and fractal edges of infinite length. A quantum weather butterfly can “create weather” merely by flapping its wings. It is possible that this is a sexual characteristic, that a male quantum weather butterfly will flap its wings and create, perhaps, a freak gale a few miles off, to show off its powers so to court a female quantum weather butterfly. Also, a quantum weather butterfly can make a small thunderstorm (usually about six inches across) over, for example, the head of a bird that is trying to eat this butterfly, so the butterfly can flee the place and the bird might remember not to pursue such butterflies another time.

TIP 2: Ask someone for a city gate pass. You may need to leave the city for some items.

My absolute favourite part of this game Grin

TIP 3: There is only one way to prove that you are a man and you will find it in the Shades. Don’t forget to go for a small vist to the Patrician’s Palace first…

Hmmm… I seem to have forgotten all about this.

TIP 4: In the guiding map I posted in the first page, only the starting avaiable locations are presented. That was on purpose of course.

Damn!!! That map was actually useful.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Okay I must admit that I quickly got stuck here in Act 2, but then a funny thing happened.

I knew that I had to get into L-Space but couldn’t seem to find a way to do it, then I simply started to give the sleazy guy all my treasure simply because I could, and I thought that he might have something to say - Much was however my surprise when he instead gave me a golden banana!

Reloaded the game to see what I had been missing and if there was a reason for this strange behaviour, and this time I did notice the banana in his ear, and asked about it before giving him all the gold in the dictatorially democratic regime. Grin

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 05 November 2014 11:41 AM

Okay I must admit that I quickly got stuck here in Act 2…

There is someone in the library willing to help you….for a price…

Wink

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

PS: This was my favourite (and IMO the most laughable) moment from ACT 1

It is a funny scene, but come to think of it - I don’t think I really like it Frown

The point is that here Death actually wants Rincewind to loose his grip and die, but the Death we know and love from the books is very professional about his business, he doesn’t want people to die or for that matter to not die, he simply collects their soul when they do die.

In all fairness this is actually a copy of a scene in the first book The Colour of Magic, where Death is chasing Rincewind, very upset that he hasn’t kept his previous appointments. Rincewind is hanging from a branch in a tree with a pack of angry wolfs beneath him, and Death encourages him to simply let go, fall down and accept his Fate, which he eventually does… but doesn’t get eaten because of the Lady’s intervention.

But in the first book Death is really just a skeleton of what he later becomes (pun intended), and already in the 2nd book he is fleshed out a bit more (once again: pun intended), and becomes the Death we all love. I wish they would have portrayed that Death in this game, instead of what is really only a rough draft of Death from the first book.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

@ Izno: Death was also directly responsible for the barkeeper’s death (and the great fire that followed) in The Colour of Magic.

When the barkeep had filled his cellar with oil (to take advantage of his ‘in-sewer-ants’), he couldn’t light it because his tinderbox was damp (bloody cat! Tongue). His exchange with Death that followed was hilarious:

A lighted taper appeared in mid-air, right beside him.
HERE, TAKE THIS.
“Thanks.” said Broadman.
DON’T MENTION IT.
Broadman went to throw the taper down the steps. His hand paused in mid-air. He looked at the taper, his brow furrowing. Then he turned around and held the taper up to illuminate the scene. It didn’t shed much light, but it did give the darkness a shape…
‘Oh, no—-’ he breathed.
BUT YES, said Death.

Should we chalk it down to “early installment weirdness”?

Death doing this doesn’t bother me at all… Tongue

And in other news, I’ve just reached Act II.
I had a little difficulty in Act I because I had missed the tile in the alley that propels you to the rooftops the first time around.

Also, good thing that I threw the tomato at the tax inspector and then went for a second tomato…
Not the best game design, imo. But nothing too difficult to overcome either…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

TimovieMan - 07 November 2014 06:54 AM

@ Izno: Death was also directly responsible for the barkeeper’s death (and the great fire that followed) in The Colour of Magic.

Hmmm… I have always wonder about this scene. Is Death actually responsible for that, or has it already happened and Broadman just haven’t realized it yet, that this is Deaths way of telling him that he is death? I guess I have to reread that passage to be sure.

I had a little difficulty in Act I because I had missed the tile in the alley that propels you to the rooftops the first time around.

Funny, I found it very hard to avoid and got a few extra and unnecessary trips because of it

And in other news, I’ve just completed this part and gotten the golden trowel.

The funny things is that when you are in the past you can do the same things over and over again. I personally had a lot of fun and great satisfaction from sticking the frog down Rincewind’s throat every single time I went back. Naughty But you can also attend the secret meeting as many times as you like etc.

I would have completed this part much sooner if it wasn’t because the Edge of the World is so bloody difficult to actually find, and there is no indication that such a place actually exists or that you have to go there.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

And now it is time for a few screenshots:

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 07 November 2014 07:53 AM

Funny, I found it very hard to avoid and got a few extra and unnecessary trips because of it

Me and you both.

I would have completed this part much sooner if it wasn’t because the Edge of the World is so bloody difficult to actually find, and there is no indication that such a place actually exists or that you have to go there.

In the House of Negotiable Affection, you need milk. If you Explored first the new areas around the city, you would have noticed the coconuts in the Edge of the World. Which I don’t think that was hard to be found. More likely, it was funny to watch Rincewind walk over there in a matter of seconds! Grin
Now, the only thing you need to do is make the assumption that you can take the milk out of a coconut.

EDIT: I am tempted to say that the above images are just a liiittle bit of spoilerific, since there are people who still play this part and haven’t entered the Shades yet…. Wink
But it is a really funny moment indeed.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 07 November 2014 08:15 AM

In the House of Negotiable Affection, you need milk. If you Explored first the new areas around the city, you would have noticed the coconuts in the Edge of the World. Which I don’t think that was hard to be found. More likely, it was funny to watch Rincewind walk over there in a matter of seconds! Grin
Now, the only thing you need to do is make the assumption that you can take the milk out of a coconut.

I did spend quite a lot of time exploring the new areas, long before I knew what items I needed, and I did find all the other places (I believe) quite easily, it is just that it took a long time and lots of tries before my cursor finally landed on the bloody edge of the world. Once I did find it the rest is standard game logic that didn’t give me too much trouble.

Anyway I’m not complaining, just sharing my troubles.

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Sefir - 07 November 2014 08:15 AM

EDIT: I am tempted to say that the above images are just a liiittle bit of spoilerific, since there are people who still play this part and haven’t entered the Shades yet…. Wink
But it is a really funny moment indeed.

Yeah I know, but it is hard to post something that isn’t just a little bit spoilerish.
I actually posted them a little bit out of context, both as a little joke of my own, but also not to give too much of what actually happens here away.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

I’m seriously stuck.  Foot in mouth I got the city pass, managed to get the golden tooth, yeah I know, I’m not supposed to yet but honestly, it just happened all by itself!, explored the city in L-space, haven’t spotted a trowel or other golden objects. I can’t go into the Shades yet, so what should I do. HELP!

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Karlok - 08 November 2014 12:16 PM

I’m seriously stuck.  Foot in mouth I got the city pass, managed to get the golden tooth, yeah I know, I’m not supposed to yet but honestly, it just happened all by itself!, explored the city in L-space, haven’t spotted a trowel or other golden objects. I can’t go into the Shades yet, so what should I do. HELP!

Well it depends a bit on how much you have already done, but to me it seems like you are stuck at:

If you haven’t done so already, there are three people you need to talk to in this order:

1: A psychiatrist
2: A peasant in the Patrician’s Palace
3: [spoiler]A street urchin starfish[/spoiler]

Joined 2012-03-09

PM

Iznogood - 08 November 2014 04:59 PM

1: A psychiatrist

That is for entering the palace.

2: A peasant in the Patrician’s Palace

That is for entering the Shades.

3: [spoiler]A street urchin starfish[/spoiler]

That is for your quest.

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Thanks for your help. Still stuck, I must have missed something. I did 1 and 2, talked to 3. I’ll try again. If the worst comes to the worst, I’ll look at a WT.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top