• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

[Archived] Time for a new community playthrough?

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Since Shivers seems to be the likely winner, I attempted to install it via ScummVM, and was unsuccessful. I have never played a game using ScummVM, so I am sure I have done something wrong. If the game wins, I want to play it, but would appreciate some very specific instructions as to how to install it.

I have the latest edition of ScummVM installed and I have the original Shivers disc.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 3200

Joined 2007-01-04

PM

Put me in for Life is Strange as the leader. That is now 4 votes and a tie.

It is a great game, a CPT of it will be quite fun,

Heart

I enjoy playing adventure games on my Alienware M17 r4 and my Nintendo Switch OLED.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

rtrooney - 09 May 2018 08:31 PM

...attempted to install it via ScummVM…

So when ScummVM is installed, don’t try and install the Shivers CD, just copy the entire contents of the CD onto your hard drive and then ‘add game…’ from ScummVM console and select the directory you copied the CD into. The game can then be launched from ScummVM.

@Mikekelly it’s a brilliant game, I was going to volunteer to lead, but I’m sure you’d do a great job! Smile

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Shivers (4) - Intense Degree (leader), Doom, rtrooney, Lady Kestrel
Life Is Strange (4) - Mikekelly Leader), Intense Degree, chrissie, Detective Mosely

Thimbleweed Park (2) - Mikekelly (leader), Detective Mosely
The Dame Was Loaded (2) - Oscar, Luhr28
Shardlight (2) - Mikekelly (leader), dumbeur
Danganronpa V3 (2) - Mikekelly (leader), Detective Mosely

Freddy Pharkas Frontier Pharmacist (1) - rtrooney
Lighthouse (1) - rtrooney (leader)
Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail! (1) - Advie
Simulacra (1) - Mikekelly (leader)
Danganronpa 1 (1) - Mikekelly (leader) Detective Mosely
Beyond Two Souls (1) - Detective Mosely
St Christopher’s School Lockdown (1) - chrissie (leader)

You have until Friday 18th May to submit nominations/votes.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I have no experience with Life Is Strange, other than it appears to be an episodic adventure. If this were to win, how would one go about accessing this game?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

rtrooney - 10 May 2018 08:54 PM

I have no experience with Life Is Strange, other than it appears to be an episodic adventure. If this were to win, how would one go about accessing this game?

Steam or PS4 or XBox 1.
Edit: Apparently, there is also mobile versions for iOS.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well that insures I will not be playing it.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 10 May 2018 08:59 PM

Well that insures I will not be playing it.

Tim, you used Steam for Apocalipsis so you now have the ‘client’ so that’s no excuse!  Naughty

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

chrissie - 11 May 2018 08:49 AM

so that’s no excuse!  Naughty

Well, I still don’t like Steam. (Having the client loaded does nothing to change that.) And, I still know nothing about the game.  Innocent

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 655

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

I recently gave a quick review of my thoughts on the game (without any spoilers) and a few people chimed in with good counterpoints:
https://adventuregamers.com/forums/viewthread/9248/P270/#146375

I didn’t go into what the game was about, but I think it gives an idea if it’s going to be your kind of game.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Thanks. I also read a fairly detailed description of the game on Wiki. It also gave no spoilers and I can’t really call it a review because it was totally non-judgemental. In the last few years there have been several time-travel TV shows that were based on an ability to time travel to change history. I didn’t much care for them because they generally ignored the rule of unintended consequences when the decision to time travel was made. So if I didn’t like the TV shows, chances are fairly good that I wouldn’t like playing a game where I was playing a similar character.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Very minor spoilers if you haven’t played the game, or watched the TV show, Timeless.

[spoiler]Life is Strange has unintended consequences for what it’s worth.  Also, I believe the TV show, Timeless, has them too if you haven’t checked it out.[/spoiler]

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Yes, I’m familiar with the show Timeless. My comment, if you re-read it, wasn’t that there weren’t unintended consequences. It’s that the possibility of same were ignored. And that’s what makes the description of this game a turn off to me.

But let’s not let this turn into a debate about the game. We’re a long way away from the 18th. If, at the end of the day, it wins, great. I just will chose not to play because I don’t like the game’s concept.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2017-04-14

PM

Ah yes, I see now.  Thank you.

Total Posts: 1263

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Sorry if I stick my nose in your business, but I couldn’t resist to say that Life is Strange if one of the best gaming experiences I’ve ever had. I didn’t expect much at the beginning, but when I ended it, I was crying inside.

The time stuff is not as important as other topics the game is about: bullying, friendship, responsabilities.

Or maybe the thing is I am just getting older…

P.S The soundtrack is gorgeous…

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top