• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 48 - Shivers

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Very short chapter, although I’m not sure I figured it the way I was supposed to… After I saw that eye symbol with a small tower above, I immediately thought of the clock tower. I rushed there, but found nothing new. As I was heading down, I checked the note on the stage and was reminded of the tunnels. So I went to the boiler room, found the broken machine, got attacked by the electric ixupi and checked the service panel, then easily finished the game. Not sure whether it was a stroke of genius or pure luck. I read hints by Intense Degree, but I didn’t get how they work. I mean, I found clues regarding the lost page 17 long before the final chapter, but there was no indication of where it was hidden. And even if there was, the panel was still inactive. Also I was, too, expecting to place all vessels on the shrine by solving another puzzle and lock or destroy the ixupis forever, but it seems like the protagonist decided to take them home as souvenirs. And then they completely forgot about them and used timed puzzles to create tension in a sequel… Oh well. I’m glad I finally played Shivers. Another hidden gem from Sierra. Thanks everyone for the playthrough! P.S. And now I can post again.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m wondering if the reason you couldn’t place the pots in their room is because we didn’t have all of them. Windlenot’s pot was still next to the lake. Merrick’s pot was in the fortune teller room and Beth’s was in the clock tower. I never did figure out why we couldn’t pick them up. I forget which pot was in which place, but one was Jade and another was Stone. I don’t think I identified the third. But at least for Jade and Stone there were examples of each in the museum.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I think the third pot was fire.  Windlenot explained that his pot would be of no use to us because the Ixupi was now out in the world.  I took that to mean that after it took someone’s life force completely, it could escape the bonds of the museum completely.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Finished this last section fairly quickly, and I really enjoyed this playthrough. Kudos to Intense Degree for making it very interesting with the exposition and the questions. As far as why we didn’t carry the last 3 pots, Professor Windlenot’s ghost said that the Ixupi can’t go far from their pots as long as no soul is occupying their places there. The 3 pots that we left behind had the souls of Merrick, Beth and the professor so it is assumed the Ixupis have left the museum and are somewhere out there in the world.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It’s kind of disappointing that you don’t get to put the Ixupi pots back in their display, even if you finish the rest of the game and choose to “explore further” instead of exiting the game.

I got 478300. I don’t know how. Maybe because I went down the slide more than once and did some puzzles more than once. I think this is the first time I noticed Beth’s asthma inhaler on the floor of the Animal room.

I think Professor Windlenot’s Museum would be a fun type of museum to visit in real life.

It’s been a fun playthrough. Thanks to Intense Degree for leading it. Though I’ve played the game before, this is the first time I’ve done things in this order because I usually go straight for that green door with the leaves and get lost in the maze. This time I had to do the other door first.

The game I think is most like Shivers is “9: The Last Resort” rather than Shivers 2. In particular the Witch Doctor reminds me of “9: The Last Resort.”

Total Posts: 22

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

Yay! I have two caught.

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Raedwulf - 15 September 2018 06:23 PM

Yay! I have two caught.

Only eight to go. Don’t worry. The thread will remain pinned for the next week or so while people discuss various aspects of the game. And even when it gets unpinned, you can still comment on it, and ask questions. The thread, itself, will always be there, but you may occasionally need to look for it on the second page.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 15 September 2018 12:33 PM

I think the third pot was fire.  Windlenot explained that his pot would be of no use to us because the Ixupi was now out in the world.  I took that to mean that after it took someone’s life force completely, it could escape the bonds of the museum completely.

I didn’t take that the same way you and Soccer Dude did. Yes the Ixupi were free, but not “out in the world” free. They might be hiding in the gazebo, or on the front staircase. Or even in the mailbox. But truly free makes no logical sense. Fire Ixupi is now free to attack and kill anyone approaching a Weber grill? God help the jade miners in Kuber Pedi. And what about the stone masons carving all the Indiana limestone that adorns our national monuments?

It doesn’t make sense that these entities were unleashed to cause mayhem without consequence. If that were the case, why did we not read about such events in the any document found while playing the game.

There is, of course the problem the “other Tim” and I have discussed many times. That is the difference between logic and “game logic.”

I think it is a very minor design flaw that we were not able to capture all the Ixupi, and put them in their proper place. I wish we were given the opportunity to do same.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

rtrooney - 15 September 2018 06:47 PM
Raedwulf - 15 September 2018 06:23 PM

Yay! I have two caught.

Only eight to go. Don’t worry. The thread will remain pinned for the next week or so while people discuss various aspects of the game. And even when it gets unpinned, you can still comment on it, and ask questions. The thread, itself, will always be there, but you may occasionally need to look for it on the second page.

At this point, I’m considering an end run to grab the pot at the other side of the lava lake, sacrifice some essence. I may need to cheat on the marble puzzle, that thing is kicking my ASCII code.

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

The thread, itself, will always be there, but you may occasionally need to look for it on the second page.

Or in the Game recommendations and important/popular threads thread. Wink

rtrooney - 15 September 2018 07:26 PM

It doesn’t make sense that these entities were unleashed to cause mayhem without consequence. If that were the case, why did we not read about such events in the any document found while playing the game.

Wasn’t that what they were doing before the Gods took pity and sent the pots to capture the Ixupi? Makes perfect sense both in-game and out, imo. Also adds to the horror of the game, knowing that three of those things are out there…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2018-07-29

PM

Only eight to go.

SO there are only 10 to find, I’ll find the girl later in my ‘travels’. Since there were supposed to be 13 pots originally.

I tink, derefore, I am.
I tink

Total Posts: 401

Joined 2003-09-16

PM

While I was unable to participate, I did enjoy reading through this thread. It brought back quite a few memories. My Shivers notes were very detailed. I loved doing the drawings of the pots and lids. I am so glad you played this game. I would have voted, but I knew I didn’t have the time to play these past weeks.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Raedwulf - 16 September 2018 12:06 PM

SO there are only 10 to find, I’ll find the girl later in my ‘travels’. Since there were supposed to be 13 pots originally.

As you probably noticed, there are 13 pots, but only 10 are active. The other three are seen, but can’t be collected.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2077

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Should we start a new voting?

PC means personal computer

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 20 September 2018 06:32 PM

Should we start a new voting?

It’s kind of up to Intense Degree as to whether he wants to un-pin the thread. I know that there are, at least, two people still playing. Those would be Raedwulf and CelesteGB. I would like to hear from them regarding their current status. If they say they’re making progress, I would say it’s OK to un-pin the thread, and start a new vote. A few of us, including me, will continue to monitor the thread, and offer support as needed.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top