Game recommendations and important/popular threads
First things first: are you new here on the forums? Why not introduce yourself here?
This thread is a summary of the “looking for a recommendation” threads and a lot of the important and/or highly popular threads on the forum that are hopefully nice to have on one list.
The focus lies mainly on threads from the new forums, although some threads from the archives can be found here as well.
If you find mistakes or broken links, or you want to suggest a new category or thread to add, just PM me.
Adventure Game Recommendations
Wondering where to find the best games the genre has to offer? Look no further. Several sections on this site, as well as some articles, will help you on your way:
- What are adventure games? - the basics about the genre and a nice primer on the diversity of adventure games. The article may help you to figure out what type of game you’re likely to be interested in.
- Reviews - this site’s reviews section. Sort the list however you want, but the basic rule of thumb applies: the higher the score, the better the game (at least according to the reviewers).
- Top Reviewed - a list of the highest rated reviewed games (again: according to the reviewers).
- New Releases / Upcoming Releases - to stay on top of which games have been released recently and which games are coming.
- News - the site’s news section where you’ll find regular updates on upcoming games.
If you want lists of ‘best’ and favourite games, then you’ll find those here:
- Top 100 All-Time Adventure Games (posted in 2012) - the 100 best adventure games according to this site’s team. Every game gets a decent description, and for every game in it, you’ll also get a couple of other recommendations for games that just missed the cut.
- Top 20 Adventure Games of All-Time (posted in 2001) - the 20 best adventure games according to this site’s team back in 2001.
And from the forumers:
- The Big AG “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament - a tournament to decide the favourite game of the collective forum
- Forumer’s Top 10s
- Best Adventures of All-Time by their genres
- Favourite adventure games released in the last 5 years
- Readers “Game of the Year” list
Not your average forum threads with recommendations:
- The unofficial/random “games like…”/game recommendation thread - where the thread title says it all.
- Recommendations… (Ask or Advice) - where you can ask for (and give) recommendations and talk about them.
- Obscure adventure game discussion thread - for all those games most have never heard about.
- Need game recommendations? Come on in… - the all-encompassing recommendations thread from the archives (slightly outdated but still a very good source, linking to dozens of other threads). It was also the inspiration for the thread that you’re currently reading.
Your average forum threads with recommendations:
- Text adventures games
- Full-motion video (FMV) adventure games
- Kid-friendly recommendations
- Detective adventure games after 2006 (with low hardware requirements)
- Retro style adventure games
- Games with good stories
- Games like Syberia and Tunguska
- Cheerful non-comedy games
- Easy / beginner games
- Spiritual / occult / conspiracy / etc. adventure games
(continued in the next post)
- Tourism games (with real present-day locations)
- Horror games
- Melancholic adventure games
- Games for the Halloween season
- Detective games
- Dark mature games
- Mystery games with a compelling story
- General point-and-click recommendations from the late ‘90s and newer
- Dark and gritty games
- 3rd person detective games
Casual Game Recommendations
For fans of casual games and hidden-object-games:
- The Casual Games Thread - the main thread where casuals and HOGs are discussed.
- Casual Game Developer List - a Google Doc spreadsheet (not a thread) with a list of casual games developers, their website, notable games and BigFishGames links.
Freeware Game Recommendations
Just because a game is available free of charge, doesn’t mean it can’t be a quality game. These threads offer the best of the best in freeware games - titles that can proudly stand next to commercial releases:
- Freeware Adventure Games - the category on the main site, dedicated to freeware AGs.
- Freeware Scene of the Week - users suggest a freeware on a weekly basis.
- Freeware Game Recommendations - exactly what it says on the tin.
- Suggest a freeware! - exactly what it says on the tin.
- Intense Degree’s AGS gaming journal - Intense Degree’s thread where he plays and reviews freeware games made with the AGS engine.
- Freewares Gems (an Optional List?) - a bunch of freeware game recommendations from the archived forums.
Adventure Game Scenes of the Day
- Adventure Game Scenes of the Day - Overview - a complete list of Adventure Game Scenes of the Day made by Bastich (posted between May 28th 2013 and May 31st 2014), made by Karlok and chrissie (posted between June 1st 2014 and May 31st 2015), and made as a collective effort of several users (posted since June 1st 2015).
- Adventure Game Scene of the Day - Overview of Kurufinwe’s crazy year - a complete list of all Adventure Game Scenes of the Day made by Kurufinwe and posted between May 20th 2012 and May 20th 2013.
- AGSOTD - where people can discuss the continuation of the AGSotD and/or volunteer to take on the task of doing AGSotDs for a while.
Adventure Game Themes of the Week
- AG Themes of the Week Overview - an ongoing list of the AG themes of the week that began on May 15, 2017.
- AG Theme of the Week Info & Discussion - the schedule of the participants is listed here.
Other Recurring Adventure Game Threads
- AG OST - Advie’s thread for adventure game soundtracks. An overview of the thread can be found here.
- Cage Matches - an overview of Advie’s Cage Matches (clashes between two prominent AG elements), also contains a link to the ultimate cage match: Bogi’s Big AG “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament, the tournament that pits AGs against each other until we have one winner, this forum’s most favourite game.
- Adventure Game Marketing images - D’s thread for adventure game marketing images
Adventure Game Community Playthroughs
- Time for a new community playthrough? - where we vote on which game to play in the next Community Playthrough.
- [Archived] Time for a new community playthrough? - past voting sessions for Community Playthroughs.
Community playthroughs ranked from newer to older:
- Life is Strange
- Thaumistry: In Charm’s Way
- Sinking Island
- Al Emmo and the Lost Dutchman’s Mine
- Fran Bow
- Kathy Rain - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Joel Staaf Hasto
- Spycraft: The Great Game (unfinished)
- Resonance - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Vince Twelve
- Touché: The Adventures of the Fifth Musketeer
- J.U.L.I.A.: Among the Stars - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Jan Kavan
- ASA: A Space Adventure - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Simon Mesnard
- Syberia II
- The Cat Lady - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Remigiusz Michalski
- Scratches (Director’s Cut) - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Agustín Cordes
- The Whispered World
- Gray Matter
- Tex Murphy: The Pandora Directive
- The Journeyman Project 3: Legacy of Time
- Inherit the Earth
- I Have No Mouth And I Must Scream
- A Vampyre Story
- Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Josh Mandel, and its main programmer Jim Montanus
- The Space Bar
- Discworld Noir
- Tex Murphy: Overseer
- GAG - with an appearance by the game’s designer Yaroslav Kemnits
- The Longest Journey
- The Unofficial Bad Mojo Crawlthrough
- Gabriel Knight 2: The Beast Within
- Gabriel Knight 1: The Sins of the Fathers (again)
- The Blackstone Chronicles
- Gabriel Knight 3: Blood of the Sacred, Blood of the Damned
- Zork: Grand Inquisitor
- The Lost Crown - with an appearance by the game’s designer Jonathan Boakes
- Zork: Nemesis (unfinished)
- The Last Express
- Full Throttle
- Conquests of the Longbow
- Gabriel Knight 1: The Sins of the Fathers (unfinished)
- 5 Days a Stranger
- Beneath a Steel Sky
Casual Game Community Playthroughs
- The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread - where we vote on which game to play in the next Casual Playthrough.
- [Archived] The Casual Playthrough Voting Thread - past voting sessions for Casual Playthroughs.
Casual playthroughs ranked from newer to older:
- Cadenza: Music, Betrayal and Death
- Enigmatis 3: The Shadow of Karkhala
- Eternal Journey: New Atlantis
- Beyond: Light Advent
- Emerald City Confidential - with a special appearance by the game’s designer Dave Gilbert
- Lost Lands: The Four Horsemen
- Surface: The Noise She Couldn’t Make
- Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove, Sacred Grove
- Mystery Case Files: Dire Grove
- Drawn 3: Trail of Shadows
- Drawn 2: Dark Flight
- Drawn: The Painted Tower
- Time Dreamer
- Enigmatis 2: The Mists of Ravenwood
- Enigmatis: The Ghosts of Maple Creek
- Angelica Weaver: Catch Me When You Can
Community-based “Let’s Play"s for text adventures. Suggest what commands we should try next!
A challenge to complete a game in less than 8 days - a community playthrough on speed. The first participant to finish the game gets to pick the next game.
Challenges ranked from newer to older:
- Ghost Pirates of Vooju Island
- Torin’s Passage
- ROM - Read Only Memories
- Star Trek - 25th Anniversary
- Jack Keane 2: The Fire Within
- The Last Express
- Shadow of the Comet
- Inkle’s 80 Days
- Cognition: An Erica Reed Thriller
- The Wolf Among Us
- Gabriel Knight 2
- Quiz Announcements - where you announce your quizzes to make sure that we don’t have several going at once.
Quizzes that have been held on these forums ranked from newer to older:
- Games of Thrones - DarkEye’s PM-based quiz of royal places and people
- Writing on the Wall - PM-based quiz by Lady Kestrel - writing and drawings found on adventure game walls
- Through the Eyes of a Drunk -PM-based quiz by DarkEye - distorted images of drunken game characters
- Feet Don’t Fail Me Now - PM-based quiz by Lady Kestrel - characters’ feet to identify
- Just Watch It - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - videos with dubbed audio clips
- Sound Quiz - first-post quiz by Advie - jazzy music clips
- Just Another Quiz - first-post quiz by DarkEye - playable female characters
- Playable Female Characters - first-post quiz by Karlok - playable female characters
- “The First Adventure Game Picture Show” - PM-based quiz by chrissie - movies, cameras and cinemas
- Going Up the Country - PM-based quiz by chrissie - caravans and trailers
- Feeling Beachy - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - beach-themed compilation photos
- Scrambled AGs - PM-based quiz by D - scrambled screenshots
- Live Music World Tour - first-post quiz by DarkEye - live music sound clips
- Screenshot Madness - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - trains, bridges and tombstones
- Roses are red, violets are violet - first-post quiz by diego - flowers
- Sierra_On (the) Run II - PM-based quiz by Advie - questions about Sierra
- Quest for the Best - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - combining screenshots and inventory items, solving anagrams, identifying dialogue clips
- Seeing Red - PM/first-post hybrid quiz by Becky - redheads, red clothes and red surfaces
- Sierra_On (the) Run - PM-based quiz by Advie - questions about Sierra
- Is this a Treasure? - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - treasure chests
- “Yes” and “No” Quiz! - PM-based quiz by diego - Yes/No questions
- Sign Up Here - PM-based quiz by Karlok - road signs and sign posts
- Adventure’s Trees - PM/first-post hybrid quiz by Gabe - trees
- We Should Forgive Our Enemies, But Not Before They Are Hanged - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - tied-up and hanged
- Warped Avatars - PM-based quiz by Lady Kestrel - forum avatars
- Polly Cephaly in “The Siamese Connection” - PM-based quiz by D - conjoined twins and multi-headed creatures
- Adventure Game Crosswords - by D - adventure game themed crossword puzzles
- Let It Rain - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - indoor sports and activities
- Clueless: The More Fun Blonde Quiz - PM-based quiz by Becky - blondes
- In Memoriam - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - graves and graveyards
- The Voice Quiz’t ][ - first-post / PM-based combo quiz by Advie, with help by Lady Kestrel - voice clips
- Just Jukes - PM-based quiz by Lady Kestrel - jukeboxes
- Dust to Dust - first-post quiz by DarkEye - different jobs/occupations
- What’s Cookin’ - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - kitchens
- Once Upon a Time - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - prehistoric creatures
- Up the ladder - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - ladders
- Let’s trade - first-post quiz by DarkEye - shops, markets and merchants
- Gone fishing - PM-based quiz by DarkEye - fish and fishing equipment
- Come fly with me! - PM-based quiz by Karlok - aircraft
(continued in the next post)
- “Chapter One” - Chapter I - PM-based quiz by diego - chapter titles
- Train, train, train…. - PM-based quiz by chrissie - trains
- The Voice Quiz’t - first-post quiz by Advie - voice clips
- Stained Glass - first-post quiz by Karlok - stained glass windows
- “With This Easel” + Bonus - PM-based quiz by chrissie - easels (+ bonus suggestions)
- Play that Funky Music 2: Encore! - first-post quiz by chrissie - musical instruments
- Don’t let the sun go down on me 2 - first-post quiz by diego - suns (and moons)
- If you want an education - first-post quiz by HandsFree - books and libraries
- Home/Away Quiz Round 2 - first-post quiz by Advie - link indoor with outdoor screenshots
- Home/Away Quiz Round 1 - first-post quiz by Advie - link indoor with outdoor screenshots
- Casual Friday - PM-based quiz by diego - similar screenshots of casuals and adventures
- Adventure or Non-Adventure? - PM-based quiz by diego - similar screenshots
- Portrait of a Bastich - first-post quiz by Bastich - body parts
- Cheers - PM-based quiz by chrissie - bars and pubs
- Monitor This! - PM-based quiz by Advie - screens and monitors
- Guess who? - PM-based quiz by diego - FMV faces
- Play that Funky Music! - PM-based quiz by chrissie - musical instruments
- Stranded - PM-based quiz by HandsFree - broken vehicles
- Autumn postcard - by diego - lots of characters on a single postcard
- The science of adventure - PM-based quiz by HandsFree - science-themed
- Quiz for Art Lovers - first-post quiz by Gabe - paintings
- Riddle Me This! - PM-based quiz by Bastich - a combination of screenshots and riddles
April Fools’ AG Tournament
Four weeks of spring-themed quizzes
- April Fools’ Tournament Guidelines & Info - ongoing tourney information & scores
- Week 4 - Daisy Chain - a roundabout word puzzle
- Week 4 - Spring Break - composite scene
- Week 3 - Scrambled Egg - scrambled game titles
- Week 3 - Bad Eggs - game villains
- Week 2 - Spring Bonnets - characters with hats
- Week 2 - Rainbow Connections - colorful word puzzles
- Week 1 - April Showers - stormy screenshots
- Week 1 - A Foolish Story - hidden game titles
Autumn AG Challenge
The spiritual successor to the Mystery Manor Fall Tournament - a 5-week, 10-part PM-based quiz by Lady Kestrel with ‘autumn’ as the main theme
- Autumn AG Challenge Guidelines, Info & Chat - main thread for all Autumn AG Challenge talk
- Challenge Week 5 - Useful Stuff - inventory items
- Challenge Week 5 - In Other Words - cryptic crossword
- Challenge Week 4 - Underground - mines, caves & tunnels
- Challenge Week 4 - Creature Care - intricate map with directions
- Challenge Week 3 - Headlines - newspaper headlines
- Challenge Week 3 - Masks - masks
- Challenge Week 2 - Snake in the Grass - AG titles in an ouroboros (tail-eating snake)
- Challenge Week 2 - Yard Sale - recognizing items and customers in a yard sale
- Challenge Week 1 - Fall Flips - matching game box art
- Challenge Week 1 - Autumn Accolades - AG titles with autumn words
Threads for fun
- Caption Contest - a contest where you put funny captions on screenshots.
- Adventure game scene… uh, game - guess the game based on a screenshot.
- Adventure game sound… uh, game - guess the game based on a soundclip.
- Place that… uh, game - guess the game based on a description/poem/riddle.
- Place that character! - guess the character based on a description/poem/riddle.
- Place that quote! - guess the game based on a quote.
- Place that description! (Look at/Eyes Icon/Right Click…) - guess the game based on an in-game item description.
- A Face to Place - guess the character based on a part of the face.
- Decipher the Anagram! - guess the game by deciphering an anagram.
- Name that inventory! - guess the game based on a few inventory items.
- Name ___ Adventure Games - name a given number of games with a certain common characteristic.
- Match that screen! - post a similar-looking screenshot.
- What’s inside the box? - guess the game by asking yes/no questions.
- Name the Common Denominator! - guess what three listed games have in common.
I would like to thank the following users:
- Melanie68 for making the ‘Recommendations’-summary that can be found on the archives. I even stole some of her introductory lines for use here.
- rtrooney and Chudah (as well as other contributors) for making and maintaining the Casual Game Developer List.
- TerminusEst for making a list of all the Community Playthrough threads so that I could copy/paste that here.
- Intense Degree for his AGS gaming journal (as well as his regular gaming journal).
- Advie for his AG OST thread and his Cage Matches.
- D for his AG marketing images thread.
- Bogi for organising the Big AG “VS - There Can Be Only One” Tournament.
- diego and Iznogood for their “Let’s Play” threads.
- Kurufinwe for an entire year of Adventure Game Scenes of the Day as well as the complete list of all threads made in that year.
- Bastich for following up on Kurufinwe’s effort.
- Karlok and chrissie for following up on Bastich’s effort.
- Several community members for continuing the AGSotD tradition after Karlok and chrissie’s effort. Kudos to Intense Degree, diego, Iznogood, wilco, chrissie, rtrooney and Dag
- Lady Kestrel for hosting the Autumn AG Challenge