• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 48 - Shivers

Total Posts: 5054

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Well, the new stage is proceeding nicely. Knocked off Tar and Water in short order. Am now working on the Alchemy puzzle. I know there is a method, but I don’t recall what it is. Unfortunately, the pieces don’t lock into place when they are rotated and placed correctly. I also don’t remember what’s supposed to happen in the basement, or what to do with the skull and hand doors. I’ve prodded and poked them all over, but to no avail. I’m also not sure what is supposed to happen in the Fortune Teller room, other than seeing the Merrick video. And I forgot how much I hate the puzzle that unlocks the door.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5614

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Erk!  I got hit again.  I guess crossing the tar pit wasn’t such a good idea when I was hearing gloopy sounds, but I thought I’d be okay if I hurried.  Unfortunately, my saved game slots were full, so I’ve got to traverse that rabafratzen maze again.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

This is a bit of a warning for everyone.  If you use the lift from the metal tunnels behind the library and take it to the 3rd floor first, you may not be able to get back down again.  I wandered through all the rooms up there, blissfully solving the crazy puzzles and finding various pots and tops, but when I wanted to get back to the lift, I couldn’t.  I knew where it was supposed to be from the blueprints, but since there was no access there, I think I may have come through one of those one-way wall panels.  There are stairs down one level from one of the rooms up there, but because I hadn’t unlocked the infamous red door, I was stuck.

Anyway, I went to a save and have taken a different path this time.  I now have 3 captured Ixupi and have solved that puzzle between the levels.  Fortunately, I have taken good notes, so I should be okay when I venture upward again.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

There is another possible dead end. There is a pile of wood near the entrance to the Fortune Teller room. Once you go past it on your way to the room, you may be trapped. There is no back door way out. If you don’t have the complete wood pot, and the wood Ixupi is inhabiting the wood pile, have a problem. You have no available exit. I suggest you save a game immediately after you enter the hallways through the secret passageway. That way you won;t have far to backtrack if you get caught.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have to make a correction to my previous post.  I found the exit to the room on the 3rd floor where the alchemy puzzle is.  I had clicked on the pyramid several times, but not on the correct stone.  Color my face red and ignore my previous post.

RT,
I was able to pass the wooden boards today because they weren’t harboring one of those nasty little demons. Smile

Total Posts: 2091

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Wow, that was one lame recycling of the intro, eh, howling theme from Quest for Glory 4 in the werewolf area! It just plays again and again, and then repeats as a slightly remixed “track” in the next two rooms. I wonder if the composer ran out of time and came up with this sort of “solution”...

And good news - I think I stumbled across another marble puzzle which seems like a perfect match to that Chinese one. Guess I will be stuck for awhile Confused Well, at least it’s quite original and not that boring.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

rtrooney - 07 September 2018 12:17 PM

There is another possible dead end. There is a pile of wood near the entrance to the Fortune Teller room. Once you go past it on your way to the room, you may be trapped.

I’m pretty sure I’ve gotten past that Ixupi in the woodpile before. It’s not like the water Ixupi that gets you as you’re going across the lake in the boat, or the one that gets you if you try to use the steps across the underground lake after the red maze. As long as you turn 90 degrees away from facing the woodpile quickly you can avoid him. I think it’s to do with the length of the Ixupi location—whether it’s a single spot, like the fireplace or a woodpile/statue, or whether it’s a broad area like a lake that you have to pass.

I’ve had trouble with that fortune teller puzzle though—sometimes it seems to get itself into an unsolvable configuration. Maybe I’m missing something there.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

crabapple - 07 September 2018 03:00 PM
rtrooney - 07 September 2018 12:17 PM

I’ve had trouble with that fortune teller puzzle though—sometimes it seems to get itself into an unsolvable configuration. Maybe I’m missing something there.

I thought the same thing. Fortunately I was wrong. Since you can’t rotate a single piece, you know that every piece other than those that are already oriented correctly will have to be rotated at least once. My plan was to get all the pieces I thought were oriented correctly into their correct positions. E.g. the knight’s helmet and the horses’ heads would likely be at the top of the puzzle. Horses’ hooves at the bottom. And then I filled in as best I could.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

crabapple - 07 September 2018 03:00 PM

It is actually quite easy to get all pieces aligned correctly if you are left with only one incorrect piece. I think I did it like this: click the incorrect one and (any) correct one, switch and rotate twice, then did the same with another correct piece, then again and again until all three pieces are correctly aligned.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I assume the fortune teller is there to give us a puzzle clue.  I got one that might be helpful.

Doom,
The puzzle you mentioned is challenging but not bad once you get the hang of it.  I just marked down how many spaces and in which direction each flipper sent the balls and worked from there.  I like the sound effects when you make a hit there.

By the way, the lyre puzzle reminds me of the piano puzzle in The 7th Guest.

Edit:  Heh.  I was thinking of the one you called the fortune teller puzzle as the horse picture puzzle.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Ash, Sand, Tar and Water are now in their respective pots. Strangely I am missing both pot parts for Wood and Metal. I do have one pot part for each of the other Ixupi.

I’ve seen some posts aby people who crossed the underground tar pit. What I haven’t seen are any posts about the jump-scare that awaits them at the top of the stairs leading back to the main floor. Even though I knew it was coming, it still gave me a bit of a fright.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 September 2018 03:36 PM

Doom,
The puzzle you mentioned is challenging but not bad once you get the hang of it.  I just marked down how many spaces and in which direction each flipper sent the balls and worked from there.  I like the sound effects when you make a hit there.

Thank you! That actually helped, wasn’t that bad after all. I should really take notes more often and don’t rely on my memory.

Btw I also found another talking corpse not far from the area with a marble puzzle (a talking skeleton to be more precise). And there is even a certain logic behind the way you make him “come to life”  Content

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Found another. Crystal is added to the captured list. Still searching for a Wood top or bottom. I also fear that I may have misplaced a pot lid. Which means as I search for it I’m in other danger.

Am also curious about the door puzzle that you see on the way to the projection room. I’ve seen no clues, yet, that tell me what the solution might be.

And I’m also searching for a way to get to the clock tower.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

RT, that scare made me turn and run back down the stairs.  I also got creeped out by the shadow in the projection room

Doom,
I felt sorry for that poor thirsty skeleton.  I also found a funny Easter egg in the strange inventions room.  One of the boxes does a Senor Wences imitation if you open it twice. Smile

The man’s inhumanity room is disturbing, but the puzzle room is also uncomfortable in a very different way.  The sounds in both contribute to the tension.

I had a big block of spare time today and took advantage of it.  I have caught 9 of the 10 Ixupis and will wait patiently in front of that forbidden skull door until next week.  I am now transcribing everything into more legible notes, especially the different locations I found things.  Because I was in and out of the rooms so often, the Ixupis ended up in some strange places for me.  The location of the water one was especially surprising and funny.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 07 September 2018 08:29 PM

RT, that scare made me turn and run back down the stairs.  I also got creeped out by the shadow in the projection room.

Beware that shadow. If my 20-year-old memory serves me well, I got nailed in the projection room. Those film cases on the file cabinet are metal to the max. Don’t go back in there unless you have a complete metal pot. Both pieces of which I am still looking for.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top