• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

LadyLinda

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough 48 - Shivers

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

CelesteGB - 01 September 2018 05:40 PM

I’m sorry for the late start, but my laptop wouldn’t charge and I just got a new battery and installed the game SmileI can now get a start on this (again) Grin

You, with, or without help from RW will be caught up in a flash.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t see any clues either. I took the mallet and swatted around on the drums for a few minutes and got lucky. I wasn’t even thinking about the no clues restriction. For all I knew, or remembered, that was the way the puzzle gets solved. And so I moved forward. Look back to my comment about tighter control. If ID had said “Don’t try to solve the drum puzzle,” I wouldn’t have tried, and by luck. solved the drum puzzle. I REALLY don’t think I violated any rules here. Either by accidentally solving the puzzle or by moving forward once the door opened.

Edit: I finally found the door to the strange beasts and Neptune rooms. I don’t know how I missed it. I’m still wandering around without blueprints though.

Needed to repost because thee was too much going on with edits.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

rtrooney - 01 September 2018 07:42 PM

I didn’t see any clues either. I took the mallet and swatted around on the drums for a few minutes and got lucky. I wasn’t even thinking about the no clues restriction. For all I knew, or remembered, that was the way the puzzle gets solved. And so I moved forward. Look back to my comment about tighter control. If ID had said “Don’t try to solve the drum puzzle,” I wouldn’t have tried, and by luck. solved the drum puzzle. I REALLY don’t think I violated any rules here. Either by accidentally solving the puzzle or by moving forward once the door opened.

Aha, we have identified the breach!

Apologies all, I just should have been clearer, so I will be now to prevent any further confusion.

The two puzzles you should not solve are:

1. The funky drummer (Shaman)
2. The door Lady K mentioned at the end of the passage from the Mysteries of the deep room, which you can only reach after solving the Siren’s Song puzzle.

In the next section we will find clues/solutions to both these puzzles, but if you’ve never played before, or haven’t for a long time, there is no reason you would know/remember that.

Apologies all once again.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 2704

Joined 2004-08-02

PM

Intense Degree - 02 September 2018 04:20 AM

Aha, we have identified the breach!

Apologies all, I just should have been clearer, so I will be now to prevent any further confusion.

The two puzzles you should not solve are:

1. The funky drummer (Shaman)
2. The door Lady K mentioned at the end of the passage from the Mysteries of the deep room, which you can only reach after solving the Siren’s Song puzzle.

In the next section we will find clues/solutions to both these puzzles, but if you’ve never played before, or haven’t for a long time, there is no reason you would know/remember that.

Apologies all once again.

No worries, I assumed you didn’t mention them because you were trying to avoid spoilers, which I would have done as well.

I did try to beat the drum randomly, and to follow the beat of the background music like Doom, but nothing happened so I just thought there was more to it.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Feeling of accomplishment. First Ixupi has been laid to rest. Cool

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2018-07-26

PM

I’ve made it to the boat. I really want a map hahaha

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

CelesteGB - 02 September 2018 04:04 PM

I’ve made it to the boat. I really want a map hahaha

Maps are in the Neptune room I had to use some information I found earlier to access them. I found them this afternoon. I’m going to do a “Print Screen” or something so I can print them out to 8 1/2 x 11. Will save some time rather than going back and forth to Flashback.

One Ixupi down. I’ve got one Ixupi piece for seven of the nine remaining Ixupi.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 8471

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

I caught one!

I haven’t fully explored everything I can yet (only all the downstairs locations), but I’ve got two loose pots and two loose lids, and one completed pot (ash). Since I was attacked in the fireplace, I went there again, and yep, the correct Ixupi was there and I caught got it!

W00t, one down, nine to go.

Had the Ixupi not been there, then I’d have left and re-entered a few times. I forgot who said they change locations when you do that, but that’s going to be my strategy for this game, I reckon. Tongue

So far, very few Ixupi encounters. Haven’t found any others in the entire downstairs section.

And my God, the music in the hallway to the machine room is unnerving as hell. I *really* don’t like being there… Smile

Also, I found the in-game maps and printed out screenshots of them. Makes my badly drawn own map obsolete, which is a plus.
Even without my map, I’m at two full pages of notes. Tongue

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Since I got caught a couple of times when I first started playing this second section, I went back to my save at the boat and replayed everything from there.  The first time I caught the ash Ixupi in the fireplace, but the second time it was lurking in the cremation ashes in the funeral rites room.   I’ve found several spots for the other creatures as well, and they do seem to leave and come back every other time I visit.  However, I learned the hard way that getting attacked does not mean the monster has moved on to another place.  I stupidly stood in the same place after an attack and got hit again.  That’s when I decided to err on the side of caution and went back to my save.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Question: Re: the organ puzzle in the Neptune room - Is that the puzzle we are not supposed to try to solve? I’m curious, because if the notes that we are attempting to reproduce are the same as those heard on the Siren’s Song recording. it would not be difficult to bring out one of the trusty guitars and score the song. CelesteGB could do the same with her trusty clarinet. Or would that be considered cheating because we are supposed to find the sheet music later, and, even if scoring the music myself worked, it’s not a solution option available to everyone?

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

rtrooney - 03 September 2018 12:39 PM

Question: Re: the organ puzzle in the Neptune room - Is that the puzzle we are not supposed to try to solve? I’m curious, because if the notes that we are attempting to reproduce are the same as those heard on the Siren’s Song recording. it would not be difficult to bring out one of the trusty guitars and score the song. CelesteGB could do the same with her trusty clarinet. Or would that be considered cheating because we are supposed to find the sheet music later, and, even if scoring the music myself worked, it’s not a solution option available to everyone?

[spoiler]The notes to the Siren’s Song appeared on the screen when I pushed the red button, and I could use that easily to solve the organ puzzle. Solving this leads to a new hallway with a door that we (or at least *I*) can’t solve yet. That’s the “don’t solve” one, imo.[/spoiler]

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

OK!  Smile

I think it’s possible that the notes only appear the first time you hit the button. If that’s the case, I missed them because they no longer appear. And they are not in a Flashback slot. So…I found a video of the puzzle on YouTube, and used it, and the Colossus door opened.

I’m missing eleven pot pieces. I have nine ... including the ones I found when I accidentally solved the drum puzzle. I’m fairly certain that there are no more to find until we begin the next section.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 930

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

I thought you had to solve the Siren’s song puzzle the same way you did the organ puzzle in Myst—by playing the notes of the Siren’s melody on the shell organ. I don’t remember “seeing” any notes when I pushed the button, but I might just not have noticed.

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

If you play the siren song with text mode on, you get a graphic that helps.  I didn’t find it difficult without it, but the second time I started from the boat I turned it on just to make sure I wasn’t missing anything.

I have 3 pots and 3 talisman that aren’t matches, and 1 completed pot with the captured Ixupi.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

Lady Kestrel - 03 September 2018 02:03 PM

If you play the siren song with text mode on, you get a graphic that helps.

Ah, that explains it. Good thing I had that on, otherwise that puzzle would have been impossible for me.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top