• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady KestrelSefir

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Mystery Game X - Gabriel Knight: Sins of the Fathers, 20th Anniversary Edition

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Lambonius - 14 August 2014 10:49 AM

I’ve said it before and I’ll say it again, Gabriel Knight fans are the most anal fans in the entire adventure gaming community.  Wink  I honestly think the trailer looks great.  The animations in particular look like they’ve improved dramatically since the GDC build.

I completely agree on the 1st two points but I haven’t been following the development so can’t comment on that. I love the GK series – I actually played them in reverse i.e. GK3 1st. That game has the most horrible interface but I persisted despite it giving me terrible motion sickness because the story was so engaging (& for me a candidate for a remake!)  Next was GK2 which was so much more comfortable – despite having to play it in windowed mode to get the best out of the graphics. I still think it stands up as being playable today & think that a remake couldn’t do it justice.  As for GK1 by the time I got around to acquiring it the graphics & interface were already very dated & I had to start it several times before I really got engrossed – for me it ended up being my favourite!  As such I’m over the moon that it’s being remade!  JJ is such a great writer that incorporates so much research into her game I just don’t understand the constant ‘bashing’. If it’s not another GK game its ‘wrong’ & now there is one that’s also ‘wrong’ – no doubt a GK4 if ever made is going to be ‘wrong’ too!  Yep, you can continue to stick your noses into the passé graphics of yesteryear if you want to but no-one is twisting your arm to play anything JJ has produced since the GK series or any remakes that don’t suit you!

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

chrissie - 14 August 2014 12:08 PM

JJ is such a great writer that incorporates so much research into her game I just don’t understand the constant ‘bashing’. If it’s not another GK game its ‘wrong’ & now there is one that’s also ‘wrong’ – no doubt a GK4 if ever made is going to be ‘wrong’ too!  Yep, you can continue to stick your noses into the passé graphics of yesteryear if you want to but no-one is twisting your arm to play anything JJ has produced since the GK series or any remakes that don’t suit you!

She was a great writer but need to redeem herself after disaster like moebius.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Gabe - 14 August 2014 01:10 PM

She was a great writer but need to redeem herself after disaster like moebius.

It’s only a disaster to players who didn’t like it - it’s a matter of opinion & how many of those same players are now knocking the GK1 remake which has the same story as the original?

Total Posts: 1079

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

I’m against all ag reboots,whats been experienced in best possible way before and that aura never comes back with rerendering.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 363

Joined 2012-09-20

PM

Gabe - 14 August 2014 03:11 PM

I’m against all ag reboots,whats been experienced in best possible way before and that aura never comes back with rerendering.

I have to agree with you Gabe. That’s why I’m so fan of GOG site that could bring us back the possibility to play older games in today’s computer. And DOSbox, SCUMMVM and other tools which now can make almost every olddiest playable again. And to those individuals that, with passion, create tools or modify an existent game to play them today. As an example, I couldn’t play for more then 10 years one of my favorite games: Dark Side of the Moon. Because somebody dicided to persist in trying to make the game playable again, he/she found a way to do it and spread the word in the Internet.

I’m saying all this not because I’m against remaking old stuff. But I prefer if they could just make the old ones possible to play again today, in today’s computers. And I think this is cheaper than rerendering stuff, right? And you can charge for this, too.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

Gabe - 14 August 2014 03:11 PM

So,

AG + Reboot = No
Non AG + Reboot = Yes??

You sure loved the aura of Thief. Pan

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

I’ve been up and down about this remake since day 1! Can’t seem to make up my mind when I look at stills of the game, but when it’s in action through those trailers i’m pretty excited! I wasn’t expecting much with the voice acting either but i’m pleasantly surprised. It definitely feels like the original still even without the same actors.

Total Posts: 600

Joined 2011-06-07

PM

I sure like the look of this new trailer.

I think the in game animations look pretty damn good and at least a considerable step-up from Moebius.

The music sounds more than fine to me aswel.

My only concern is and remains the potential animation in the cut-scene comic book panels.
I like the style and use of comic book panels (like in the original GK), but I’m seeing flashes of lo-fi animation within them, akin the horrible horrible cutscene’s of Gray Matter.

I don’t know if this is a budgetaire constraint or artistic vision, but that animation style that looks like paper cut-outs are moved around in a 2D plane have always infuriated me and I’m dreading the notion that this poor style has found it’s way into the GK cutscene panels.

It such a huge contrast with the in-game animation style, so I don’t understand why they would do that.

Now, I’ve only seen the trailer and it only shows short flashes of cut-scene panels, so I don’t want to jump to conclusions, can anyone that has played the BETA confirm that the cutscene’s contain Gray Matter style of animation quality?

Thanks.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

subbi - 15 August 2014 05:03 AM

can anyone that has played the BETA confirm that the cutscene’s contain Gray Matter style

Only really played Day 1 so have seen intro and Gabe meets Malia cutscene. Both contain elements of the “paper cut-out” (nice description!) style but only a little bit in both.

To my mind it is a definite step up from the Gray Matter cutscenes as my personal view is that the paper cut-out style looks cheap and a bit rubbish.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 119

Joined 2010-02-15

PM

I actually enjoy that style, so different strokes.  Trailer looks good to me, the voice acting, which is a key concern for me, sounds decent in the trailer.  It appears to be going the imitator route rather than having new style voices.

In terms of the remake itself, I’d say it’s “unnecessary” but I’m hoping that it gets enough buzz/sales to prompt Gabriel Knight IV.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

The REAL question that we need to be asking ourselves here is:

Are we all satisfied with the new jingle that plays when you get points in this game?

Come on guys, let’s not be too negative on this. It’s a chance for Jane to showcase the game that made her so well known in our community. It’s her baby, and I for one am champing at the bit for a release date.

That and we also need to be conscious that if it goes down well (and I did say if), we could be in line for a fourth and potentially final episode to this story.

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 189

Joined 2010-06-26

PM

WHAT?! Theres a new jingle? Frown This makes me sad.

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2004-01-06

PM

It’s the same as before, just remastered!

I’m on a whole new adventure.
Growing a mustache?
No. Bigger than that.
A beard?!?

Total Posts: 736

Joined 2013-08-15

PM

I cannot understand why would someone ravage and desecrate like this such a beautiful masterpiece!?

It makes me sad.

Total Posts: 131

Joined 2014-04-11

PM

From what I’ve seen, the Phoenix Online Studios Gabriel Knight remake doesn’t look as terrible as many believe, though I will have to wait and see. But the remake does feel unnecessary. Why do I say this? Because it looks like a sterile, plastic version of the original classic. Even the new voices (which are sometimes too young sounding) are just okay and try too hard to sound like the originals. The new musical score recording even sounds inferior to the original’s, though the original composer apparently oversaw both recordings.

Don’t get me wrong, the new backgrounds are stunning with their high level of detail and beautiful lighting effects, but the scenes look artificial and too clean/perfect. And the robotic animation of the sim-looking characters doesn’t help. Wouldn’t it have been better if they had gone in a new, stylized direction for the art?

I know this game is supposed to be an upgrade, but, in a way, it feels like an okay knockoff (as opposed to some kind of special edition) of the original game, despite the hi res and the 3D.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top