• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Nice, welcome Keybordz!

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Yes, welcome Keybordz!

Due to some unexpected real life issues that popped up today, I ask that you hold tight on starting the first section until tomorrow.  The game divides up fairly easily, but I want to grab some screenshots and check the timing of the first section.  Thanks for your patience.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 12 July 2022 04:47 PM

Thanks for your patience.

My Dad gave me a card a long time ago. I am the cook/chef around here, so it was pointed at all the people we have over for dinner. It reads “You do yourself no favors when you criticize the cook!”

Take all the time you need.  Laughing

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Doom - 11 July 2022 08:33 PM

I have the GOG version and it won’t start, I’m only shown the black intro screen with the Microids logo for a couple of seconds, then the game quits. Seems like a common issue with 64 bit systems. I tried a couple of solutions listed on GOG forums, but nothing works so far Meh

I’m running 64 bit Win10, and so far everything works perfectly. I’ve not delved into the intricacies of the Options menu. VP had no problem. Others experienced issues exiting the app. The Save function is a little weird. It’s a room full of panels. Each panel represents a Save location. I don’t remember whether of not the number of saves is finite. My guess, considering the age of the game, is No! However, the panels are easily overwritten. In general I just overwrite the current game when exiting. I only save a new game when I run across something I think I might want to play again. If memory serves, and it may not since it’s been over 20 years since I last played the game, there is no death. But there are a few locations where it is very easy to get lost/confused. I would always save a game before entering one of those locations. Hopefully Lady K will alert us when we are about to enter that kind of location. I remember there being an underwater maze, and a “swimming with the dinosaurs” event that should definitely be save locations.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

@doom: I’m a tech noob, so take this at face value, but have you tried to check if it’s not a security issue? I read it could be a “Data Execution Prevention” problem, which is something you can turn off in the control panel. I’m also running a win10 64 bit system, but I’m playing the game in steam.

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

rtrooney - 12 July 2022 06:25 PM
Lady Kestrel - 12 July 2022 04:47 PM

Thanks for your patience.

My Dad gave me a card a long time ago. I am the cook/chef around here, so it was pointed at all the people we have over for dinner. It reads “You do yourself no favors when you criticize the cook!”

Take all the time you need.  Laughing

Ha, I like that!

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

rtrooney - 12 July 2022 06:45 PM

I’m running 64 bit Win10, and so far everything works perfectly. I’ve not delved into the intricacies of the Options menu. VP had no problem. Others experienced issues exiting the app.

Vegetable Party - 12 July 2022 07:04 PM

@doom: I’m a tech noob, so take this at face value, but have you tried to check if it’s not a security issue? I read it could be a “Data Execution Prevention” problem, which is something you can turn off in the control panel. I’m also running a win10 64 bit system, but I’m playing the game in steam.

Seems like it’s some specific system compatibility problem then 😕 I read both GOG and Steam forums where people tried to resolve it, there are basically only two solutions: turning DEP off for Amerzone.exe and installing dgvoodoo dll files into the Amerzone directory. None of that worked for me, nor did configuring dgvoodoo or reinstalling the game. I also tried disabling visual themes as suggested at the former parent company’s website, also to no luck. Guess it’s not my day. I’ll just watch you guys playing the game.

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Just stopped by to say that I’ll be joining the fun on Thursday. Game is installed and runs, but I haven’t explored anything yet. Looking forward to this suddenly ballooned with peeps playthrough.

Total Posts: 1350

Joined 2009-04-28

PM

Hey all, I’m hoping to join in with this playthrough too. Been too long since I’ve been a part of one.

Game is installed and I have wondered down to the lighthouse without, of course, opening the door. Innocent

I did start playing Amerzone years ago but I can’t remember anything about it other than the 360 degree rotation. No idea how far I got with it then, but hoping to make it through this time.

3.5 time winner of the “Really Annoying Caption Contest Saboteur” Award!

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Doom - 12 July 2022 09:01 PM

Seems like it’s some specific system compatibility problem then 😕 I read both GOG and Steam forums where people tried to resolve it, there are basically only two solutions: turning DEP off for Amerzone.exe and installing dgvoodoo dll files into the Amerzone directory. None of that worked for me, nor did configuring dgvoodoo or reinstalling the game. I also tried disabling visual themes as suggested at the former parent company’s website, also to no luck. Guess it’s not my day. I’ll just watch you guys playing the game.

Did you try all these steps?

1. Download the latest version of dgVoodoo 2 and extract the archive.
2. Copy dgVoodooCpl.exe to game folder.
3. Open the MS\x86 folder and copy all files to game folder.
4. (optional) Run dgVoodooCpl.exe in game folder and unmark dgVoodoo Watermark in DirectX.
5. Run game.

I have the disc version and win10 64bit and have no issues running the game.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I just installed the game. Using dgVoodoo as per Chase’s instructions is highly recommended (as it is with many games from this era). The game runs really smooth and seems to look a bit better too, even though there are no 3D elements to tweak. The only thing I had to do (besides of course disabling the watermark) was to set 800x600 under the DirectX tab in order to get the correct 4:3 aspect ratio.

I may tag along on this ride! If memory serves it’s not a very long game.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Chase - 13 July 2022 03:54 AM

Where is the game folder?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Charophycean - 13 July 2022 07:26 AM
Chase - 13 July 2022 03:54 AM

Where is the game folder?

Wherever the game is installed. Easy way to find it is right click on game’s shortcut and “open file location”. That’s the game folder.

Steam version should be somewhere in steam\steamapps I think.

Mine is at program files\iceberginteractive\amerzone or something like that.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Thanks, found it. I also had to set Scaling Mode in General to “Stretched, Keep Aspect Ratio”. It looks good now.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Letter… museum… delivered - that’s all I could gather from the postman .
I don’t mind the bad graphics, but no subtitles is a no-no for me.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top