• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Lady Kestrel

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Oops I made it to chapter 2 lol. Accidentally pressed the destination button but oh well. Stopped as soon as cutscene finished.

Took me forever to find out what number i had to enter at the top of the lighthouse. Would never have figured it out on my own without a walkthrough. Even when I went back to the telescope to see what the walkthrough was talking about it still didn’t make sense to me.

Also found it super weird that the old man died and it just gets ignored completely like nothing happened.

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

After my last session I’m experiencing some reluctance to boot up the game again and play more.

I didn’t find the wandering around in semi-darkness and lengthy journal readings very pleasant, and they mostly reminded me of some lesser Myst clones of the 90s and early 2000s. I played around with the binoculars and entered what I thought was the right setting, I then heard a noise and the game let me turn the wheel. But then it seemed nothing had changed, and I was still unable to start the hydracraft or whatever it’s called. Still, I know I probably missed something in the journal, and possibly an inventory item since there’s a space in my backpack before some other items, and it probably wouldn’t be too much trouble to go back and look for it. It seems I’d rather type this forum post than actually do that.

It’s also discouraging that others haven’t had much trouble with this section. I’m judging myself for that. Even though i haven’t put a whole lot of effort into the game so far.

Like Tenebra, I’m hoping the next segment of the game is more light and wonder, less gloom and foreshadowing.

AKA Charo

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Charophycean - 17 July 2022 06:04 AM

It’s also discouraging that others haven’t had much trouble with this section. I’m judging myself for that. Even though i haven’t put a whole lot of effort into the game so far.

I struggled as well. Especially with the thing at the top of the lighthouse.

Also there’s an item to pick up next to the elevator that’s very easy to miss. Also took ages to figure out where to use this item. Had to look at a walkthrough to find this tiny spot.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Chase - 17 July 2022 06:27 AM

I struggled as well. Especially with the thing at the top of the lighthouse.

Also there’s an item to pick up next to the elevator that’s very easy to miss. Also took ages to figure out where to use this item. Had to look at a walkthrough to find this tiny spot.

I’m glad I read your spoiler. I doubt I would have ever found that.

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

I’ve finished the section and have reached the beginning of chapter 2. Was stuck for I while, until realizing the date of birth was the password for the computer. Everything else went pretty quick, although it’s not always clear what the goal of an action is or even what effect an action has had after performing it.

It’s a game that is hard to really enjoy (so far). The technical level of the graphics does not do Sokal’s art justice. And having seen how great the cutscenes can look (in the original DVD-version and the more recent iOS/mac-version) they are disappointing to watch in the original CD-version (in my case the GOG version). It’s a pity they made such bad decisions with the mac-version in all other regards.

Total Posts: 4269

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Intense Degree - 17 July 2022 04:06 AM

the paper thin death of M. Valembois after a few broken words

He died?!? I didn’t get that at all; I thought he just dozed off.

Intense Degree - 17 July 2022 04:06 AM

I am getting pretty serious deja vue vibes from the section so far. While I did start to play the game years ago, I don’t think it’s from that (or not just from that), it seems to remind me of a few other games like Lighthouse and probably more I am forgetting. The underground lake/boat/plane/launch thing for one.

Anyone else get that?

Me. The scene you mentioned in spoiler tags reminds me of a similar surrounding in The Cameron Files: Secret at Loch Ness (towards the end of the game). Both games also have the same first person view and 360 degrees rotation.

It’s also discouraging that others haven’t had much trouble with this section.

I believe all the players had their share of troubles, but only a few commented that.

Chase - 17 July 2022 06:27 AM

Also there’s an item to pick up next to the elevator that’s very easy to miss.

Finding it (once I figured out the computer code and opened the vault door) wasn’t hard for me, but I had another problem with that piece of iron: namely, (as I said in one of my previous posts) I was expecting to find an inventory item to fill the empty space in the inventory, but BEFORE passing through the vault door - so I had spent hours and hours in searching every nook and cranny of the bloody lighthouse in vain, reckoning I must have missed something.

Btw, I think there wasn’t a single adventure game I have played in which I hadn’t missed at least one object or a location. I always fail to find some inventory item or check every possible place there is to visit.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I managed to get the computer up and running. I had to resort to a walkthrough to tell me I needed to find a second elevator. I would have been wandering around forever otherwise. I accidently hit the destination button on the cockpit screen. Don’t think it gave me any advantage, other than I got to see a gorgeous cutscene a day or two earlier than everyone else. I am stopped at the Chapter 2 screen.

It took me forever to find the correct destination. I read the diary when I first found it, but didn’t recall that reference. But it, like the computer code was there. I may read it again more thoroughly to see if there are any more hints.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Sometimes I get more complicated than I should, for example when I had to set the coordinates to move the wheel, it let me move the wheel but I kept thinking that it was somewhat stuck and that it should move more especially because:

1) I only heard a noise and no other indication.
2) I saw another row in that panel as if another input of numbers/coordinates was needed in the lower row.

But it was more straight forward than I thought and then with the rest I didn’t have many problems. The coordinates were indicated in the handwritten book, even that it should be 5 degrees more.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I have some things I have to finish doing tonight (both in and out of the game) and a couple of things I want to share before we begin the next section.  Since most of you have flown the coop already, I think we can begin section 2 tomorrow.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Tenebra - 17 July 2022 05:13 PM

Sometimes I get more complicated than I should, for example when I had to set the coordinates to move the wheel, it let me move the wheel but I kept thinking that it was somewhat stuck and that it should move more especially because:

1) I only heard a noise and no other indication.
2) I saw another row in that panel as if another input of numbers/coordinates was needed in the lower row.

But it was more straight forward than I thought and then with the rest I didn’t have many problems. The coordinates were indicated in the handwritten book, even that it should be 5 degrees more.

Two things. One, I never completed that puzzle. And it obviously hasn’t kept me from getting to the next stage. Two, there’s a lot of unnecessary stuff. Yes, you can reach the top of the lighthouse by using the second elevator. But, if you were diligent, you already explored that territory when you were in the office environs.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Veovis - 17 July 2022 07:07 AM

The technical level of the graphics does not do Sokal’s art justice. And having seen how great the cutscenes can look (in the original DVD-version and the more recent iOS/mac-version) they are disappointing to watch in the original CD-version (in my case the GOG version). It’s a pity they made such bad decisions with the mac-version in all other regards.

Well, I’m playing the GOG version, which I think is the original version. SokaL’s graphics, compared to other games produced in the same era, are superb.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Ok. I’m at my breaking point. This game is stupid.

The journal shows the birds flying away and says “+5 degrees” next to it. So I look at through the telescope at the birds flying. As soon as I access it the birds are already flying which means I have to quickly move my mouse to the top of the screen, and I guess the point they are flying from is around 150 degrees. Which means I need to set the dial to 155. So I do that. Something happens, the game pauses for a few seconds. I look down and spin the wheel. Okay. I couldn’t do that before. I click it again. Another spin. And again. What does that do? Who knows. I go down to the hovercraft again. None of the dials working. The lever above the craft does nothing. The metal thingy which looks like a key does nothing.

I give up. It seems I’m a dumbass even after finishing RHEM 1-4 without walkthroughs, The Witness without a walkthrough, all the Myst games. At least those games made some semblance of sense, some amount of logic and reason.

Benoit Sokal - checkmate. You win.

AKA Charo

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

Charophycean - 18 July 2022 12:57 AM

Ok. I’m at my breaking point. This game is stupid.

The journal shows the birds flying away and says “+5 degrees” next to it. So I look at through the telescope at the birds flying. As soon as I access it the birds are already flying which means I have to quickly move my mouse to the top of the screen, and I guess the point they are flying from is around 150 degrees. Which means I need to set the dial to 155. So I do that. Something happens, the game pauses for a few seconds. I look down and spin the wheel. Okay. I couldn’t do that before. I click it again. Another spin. And again. What does that do? Who knows. I go down to the hovercraft again. None of the dials working. The lever above the craft does nothing. The metal thingy which looks like a key does nothing.

I give up. It seems I’m a dumbass even after finishing RHEM 1-4 without walkthroughs, The Witness without a walkthrough, all the Myst games. At least those games made some semblance of sense, some amount of logic and reason.

Benoit Sokal - checkmate. You win.

If you want to know what to do with metal thing that looks like a key…

there’s a little hole in the elevator near the floor. It goes in there to stop the elevator at a 3rd floor where you have to smash the brick wall. Took me forever to figure out what to do with the metal thing too.

Or at least I think that’s the metal thing you’re talking about.

Also in my game the number I had to enter at the top of the lighthouse to turn the wheel was 145, not 155. Not sure if it matters.

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Thanks, but the game is now uninstalled. I already needed your previous hint and my policy is if I need hints (let alone multiple hints) in the first section of the game, after giving it reasonable effort, it’s not a game I’ll enjoy persevering with. Pixel-hunting every screen in gloomy darkness to find items and hotspots with no additional in-game clues to their location, resembles more of a nightmare than an enjoyable gaming experience.

AKA Charo

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top