• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Dalewalas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

Welcome to our playthrough of Benoït Sokal’s Amerzone

The game was originally released only in Europe in 1999, then by the Adventure Company in 2001.  The full game is currently available at GOG for $4.99, and it works on Windows 7 to 11 and Mac OS 10.6.8 and later.  I’m playing it on my iMac in OS 10.11.6.

After you install the game, please start it.  You’ll get a quick look at the company logos, and then this screen appears:

You may play the introduction to find out who you are and why you are walking this lonely road somewhere in France. 

When you gain control of the cursor, follow the road, take a look at the telescope to the left, and then proceed to the lighthouse.  You will find a letter that will make things clearer and allow you to use your inventory for the first time.  Go through the gates and explore the outside of the lighthouse, if you wish, but don’t go inside yet. 

Let me know when you’ve reached this point.

If all goes well for everyone, we can begin our first section in a day or two.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Got the game from GOG. The Steam price went up, but that’s OK. Using a credit card for a $0.59 purchase seems a little off to me. I would rather throw three quarters across the pond and tell them to keep the change.

Have not had a chance to fire it up. Will likely do so later this evening.

EDIT: Played the intro. Had my first “Duh” moment. Sometimes opening a door requires nothing more than opening a door! I’ve examined the lighthouse exterior. There seems to be a few places where I might be able to do something, but not yet.

A few comments about the game so far. I played Amerzone when it first came out. Which was a little over 20 years ago. So I was probably playing on a mid-sized, e.g. 12” CRT monitor. I don’t recall that it was that pixelated. It’s not bad, but I’m now playing it on a 28” monitor, and everything from that era appears more pixelated.

One thing that hasn’t changed is Microids’ attention to detail. While rudimentary, shadows from the trees appear on the pavement. And the shadow of the postman riding his bicycle appear at just the right angle with the sun shining from a slight angle in front of his right shoulder. All of this can be seen in similar scenes in S4, only better by several orders of magnitude due to advances in technology.

Can’t wait to get started.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Quick addition: My opening screen looks similar to yours, but different. I think that is probably due to your playing the Mac version and me playing Windows. So if it doesn’t look quite the same to other Windows players, not to worry. All is good.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

My main screen looks like this:

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

My version came from the MacGameStore and may be the one adapted to iOS.  I think the original cursor on disks was a silver button with arrows.  Mine is a green arrow, and at certain closeup views (such as the telescope I mentioned), I just drag my mouse to turn around.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Tenebra - 11 July 2022 07:07 PM

My main screen looks like this:

That’s what mine looks like. So it’s a Mac/Windows thing that doesn’t affect anything.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

I have the GOG version and it won’t start, I’m only shown the black intro screen with the Microids logo for a couple of seconds, then the game quits. Seems like a common issue with 64 bit systems. I tried a couple of solutions listed on GOG forums, but nothing works so far Meh

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

rtrooney - 11 July 2022 02:34 PM

One thing that hasn’t changed is Microids’ attention to detail. While rudimentary, shadows from the trees appear on the pavement. And the shadow of the postman riding his bicycle appear at just the right angle with the sun shining from a slight angle in front of his right shoulder.

I really liked this as well. The shift in pace and exertion when he has to ride uphill was a nice touch as well.

I got the alternative menu, not as clear as the one in the screenshot by Lady Kestrel. I got stuck in part of the options menu and watched the credit sequence twice. It was nice, actually, pretty good music.

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I didn’t even look at the options menu, so I’m not aware what is available. It would be nice if I wasn’t confined to dimensions available when the game was first introduced. But afraid that trying to go to 1080 would really screw things up.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

The saving system is a little particular, you appear in a kind of room in a tower?, and to load the game the same.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

Bought and installed on Steam.

Vegetable Party - 11 July 2022 08:34 PM
rtrooney - 11 July 2022 02:34 PM

One thing that hasn’t changed is Microids’ attention to detail. While rudimentary, shadows from the trees appear on the pavement. And the shadow of the postman riding his bicycle appear at just the right angle with the sun shining from a slight angle in front of his right shoulder.

I really liked this as well. The shift in pace and exertion when he has to ride uphill was a nice touch as well.

I got the alternative menu, not as clear as the one in the screenshot by Lady Kestrel. I got stuck in part of the options menu and watched the credit sequence twice. It was nice, actually, pretty good music.

I entered the options screen and couldn’t get out. Then accidentally clicked credits which seemed interminable and offer no option to exit or advance more quickly, and ALT-TAB didn’t work so I ended having to CTRL-ALT-DEL my way out of the game twice.

All in all, not a bad start for a 1999 game. But if the game itself is as buggy and unfriendly as the options menu I fear my patience will run out soon.

Edit: I will also add a bit of crucial info which might seem obvious to some (it wasn’t to me). To exit any of the menu screens, an area of the screen I’ve shown below must be clicked. Hopefully this will help those of us not blessed with such arcane knowledge.

Lastly, I’m not thrilled that my screen is stretched to 16:9 ratio. It looks ugly. Does anyone know how to change it to 4:3?

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 172

Joined 2011-06-03

PM

I think I will participate, for once. I seem to recall having a fond moment finishing this game.

Total Posts: 183

Joined 2021-03-21

PM

I installed the game also. It seems it doesnt have subtitles which is kind of disappointing for people that arent native english speaking. I got to the lighthouse and didnt know how to open the inventory. The game certainly has an unfriendly menu and the fonds are hard to read. Then i just searched internet for the 4 page manual that has the controls. I m ready to have a proper taste of the game.

Total Posts: 514

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

Regarding the different menu thing, the Mac and the PC versions of Amerzone available from the online vendors (GOG for example) are very different. The PC version is the original game. The mac version is a “tweaked” version, made to work well on the iOS platform. Some puzzles and even sections were taken out or simplified, an “always on” hotspot indicator was added etc. A very much watered down experience compared with the PC version. The only advantage of the mac version is much better looking in-game videos.

I have a pretty rare DVD version of the original PC release, which should be the best of both worlds. It is the original game but with the same fantastic looking videos of the iOS release. Unfortunately I’ve only been able to play those videos outside the game (they need hardware mpeg video support to work in-game).

Total Posts: 259

Joined 2017-05-18

PM

I have this version:

No idea how this supposed remaster is different from the original game and if the cutscenes are better quality etc.

At the lighthouse ready to start. Not the best game and I find it a bit boring but will see if I have time to play it.

Total Posts: 28

Joined 2022-05-10

PM

Greetings,

I am somewhat new to the forum and this is my first post Smile

I recently purchased Amerzone from GOG and was pleased when it was picked for the CPT, seems like a great opportunity for participation.

Seems to be running well so far on my Windows laptop.  I have made it to the lighthouse and started poking around a bit.  Looks like a lot of backstory to sift through in the inventory objects.

I look forward to hearing progress reports from all, thank you…

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top