• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

BeckykanaifuLady Kestrelrtrooney

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Jabod - 20 June 2022 10:24 AM

I think all games should go in evenly and let them all live or die by as near a concensus as could be managed.

sounds right indeed

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Okay, I’ll start with the low hanging fruits, games from my ratings which are in a top 100 list I consider sexy & adorable. I’ll try to add more whenever I have time to and am in the mood.

The Dig
Well written sf story with a darker tone. The best adventure Lucasfilm Games ever made.

Sam & Max - Hit the Road
The funniest 2D adventure I know.

Agent A - A puzzle in disguise
Just a fun first person view indie adventure.

The Witness
Wonderful, clever and a such a beautiful masterpiece.

Shadow Point
Great puzzle mechanic and level design with a decent story.

The Cave
Great setting, a dark humored cave with seven sinners puzzling and platforming.

Unforeseen Incidents
Very enjoyable adventure with good music, a unique style and a nice mood.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

For many years over at Game Boomers they had annual voting for the top 20 adventure games.  Each person would submit a list of 20 (or fewer) games that they thought were the best, and the results were tallied.  It could be done here with 100 games, and compiling it annually would allow for the addition of new favorites.  If anyone thinks this would be a worthwhile endeavor, I’d be willing to do the tallying.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

it’s worth every sec miLady, i will even help in any way if I needed.
it can start with the usual thread where everybody leaves his/her top 10/20, and we go from there?

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Thumbs Up

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

cool initiative!

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

I would love this initiative. It might be a good chance to get some more participants in the forums. If possible it would be nice to have an article on the front page to share the link on some discord channels to increase participation and add legitimacy even if the lists need to be posted in the forums. Thanks!

Total Posts: 1265

Joined 2016-04-08

PM

Cool, I am in!

But as I said before, another possibility would be a list of the games ranked by the star system of users reviews, with a note between 1 and 10.

Currently translating Strangeland into Spanish. Wish me luck, or send me money to my Paypal haha

Total Posts: 2071

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

Sounds like a nice idea, and it will liven up the community. Didn’t want to discuss the topic of “updating the top” as it was already discussed several times before, everything always comes down to personal preferences: “remove those old/recent/puzzle/QTE/Jensen games” (no, actually this is the first time I ever witnessed anyone insisting that Jensen is not worthy Smile). I remember some years ago Jack Allin said he was planning to update the top with newer games, but it might be better to leave it alone now as a memorial to the past decade. The Big AG was great, and so was a similar voting marathon from Just Adventure forums even before that, I think one of the Gabriel Knights won Wink

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1785

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Lady Kestrel - 20 June 2022 12:36 PM

For many years over at Game Boomers they had annual voting for the top 20 adventure games.  Each person would submit a list of 20 (or fewer) games that they thought were the best, and the results were tallied.  It could be done here with 100 games, and compiling it annually would allow for the addition of new favorites.  If anyone thinks this would be a worthwhile endeavor, I’d be willing to do the tallying.

Been giving this a bit of thought and I’d suggest a slight change to what you’re advocating Lady K.

Human nature being what it is most people are likely to propose their all time favourites (a good thing) plus their most recent favourites (also a good thing) but any list will, over time, lose old games that, although brilliant, can no longer be played on modern machines, and that’s when you can find them, thus consigning them to dusty notes in history. To use an example. Black Dahlia has often been wished to be available on modern machines (and before anyone thinks of asking and remembering me trying I’ve just about given up on that project) and sits in the middle of the current top 100 (from memory. Haven’t checked for accuracy.) but that will vanish because it is no longer played and can’t be played. There are going to be many more instances of this I’m sure.
Since the last top 100 here was compiled in 2011 I’d suggest only allowing games released after the cut-off point for that listing to, say, the end of 2021 and have both lists sit side by side for comparison. This can be done at a set number of years ahead if wished (say 5 or 10) and have all lists sit together.
Obviously, at some point in the future, there will be calls for an absolute top 100 of all time but that can be worried about when/if it actually happens Smile

Life is what it is.

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

Jabod - 21 June 2022 05:59 AM

but any list will, over time, lose old games that, although brilliant, can no longer be played on modern machines

And that shouldn’t happen!
Every game is unplayable on some hardware combination, so that really shouldn’t affect any lists at all.

But is that even a real problem?
Sure there are few games that are extremely challenging to get running, but with DosBox and ScummVM you can run at least 80 % of all adventure games ever made, using all kinds of emulators, virtual machines and binary hacks may take care of most of the rest.

The only real problems that I can think of are some very obscure consoles that have very poor emulation opportunities, and a bunch of Windows 95 games which are using some obsolete third party software technologies.

Overall though, running old games today is easier than it used to be in their own time. DosBox offers possibilities that weren’t there in the original Dos systems, 8-bit emulation offers snapshot saving for games which originally didn’t support saving, ScummVM makes most of the games it supports independent of the hardware platform, and obviously all of these software tools have built-in screenshot systems and everything which the original environments lacked.

Not to mention things like widescreen hacks, which aren’t necessarily such a big thing in adventure gaming, but just yesterday I made my originally 4:3 Medal of Honor game to run in 16:9.  Thumbs Up

I think it might be a good idea to compose a top 100 list of adventure games which aren’t running on modern machines, and then see how long it takes before someone actually finds a way to run them.  Laughing

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Would you be able to come up with 100 new good adventures within this time? It’s easier to achieve (if you don’t care about quality) because you don’t have to balance older and newer games.

In my opinion the spirit of the list should be ‘This are the top 100 adventures, recommended playing today’. Games which fall out are still mentioned in the old list, so, they don’t get lost. If needed, you could enlarge the list to the top 123 in the future.

Anyway. I would get rid of a ranking because it pretends to be something which it is not. You might rank games just in zones (7,8,9,10 ratings) though.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

GateKeeper - 21 June 2022 08:54 AM
Jabod - 21 June 2022 05:59 AM

but any list will, over time, lose old games that, although brilliant, can no longer be played on modern machines

And that shouldn’t happen!
Every game is unplayable on some hardware combination, so that really shouldn’t affect any lists at all.

But is that even a real problem?
Sure there are few games that are extremely challenging to get running, but with DosBox and ScummVM you can run at least 80 % of all adventure games ever made, using all kinds of emulators, virtual machines and binary hacks may take care of most of the rest.

And how many people are going to the trouble to do that? Very few. It’s possible to do many things but the average Joe Soap isn’t going to bother. They just hope someone else will do the work for them.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

meteor - 21 June 2022 09:09 AM

Would you be able to come up with 100 new good adventures within this time? It’s easier to achieve (if you don’t care about quality) because you don’t have to balance older and newer games.

In my opinion the spirit of the list should be ‘This are the top 100 adventures, recommended playing today’. Games which fall out are still mentioned in the old list, so, they don’t get lost. If needed, you could enlarge the list to the top 123 in the future.

Anyway. I would get rid of a ranking because it pretends to be something which it is not. You might rank games just in zones (7,8,9,10 ratings) though.

People don’t look back. It;‘s that simple. Nowadays everything is now!

And you’re being terribly snobbish with your “If you don’t care about quality” remark. Things are subjective and what you think of as poor quality x number of others would think of as absolutely brilliant.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I guess I have nice overview of adventure games and I wouldn’t be able coming up with 100 new area games I would want to recommend whilst keeping older games back and which are better in comparison. Nope. I stay with my definition of what a top 100/123 list should be.

And for visibility reasons you can still browse through news, reviews and databases, but weak or weaker games don’t need to be in a top 100 list, I want to consult. In such a list I still want to be The Dig, Maniac Mansion, Sam & Max ... Today you might rank them on a different position (The Dig certainly much higher) but they are still good games, worth being recommended.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top