• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 645

Joined 2017-08-27

PM

Question - would that be games that we consider absolute best personally or would that be games like TheLongestJourney linked with the word “essential” in it?

“Best” and “essential” differ drastically. Would that be a list to simply showcase ourselves here (or people who stop by to learn/found out more) what we, the users of AG site, consider cream of the crop or would that be a list of top adventure games that we think everyone who wants to learn about adventures should try at some point, because they happen to be stellar representatives of a certain subgenre of adventures?

My “best” list will never include Myst on it, yet, my “essential” list absolutely would.

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

As terrible as it seems I’m only interested in my own essential list - if I enjoyed a game I don’t care whether it was perceived as good or bad but if I enjoyed it maybe others would too!  Smile

Total Posts: 5608

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

DCast - 22 June 2022 05:54 PM

My “best” list will never include Myst on it, yet, my “essential” list absolutely would.

My best list would include it, so it would even out. Smile As Chrissie says, it should be each individual’s best list.

Difficult roads often lead to beautiful destinations.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

DCast - 22 June 2022 05:54 PM

I believe instead of ‘best’ you had used ‘favorite’, this sentence would have been absolutely (more) correct, but again, I would not expect it to sway anything, at all.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@fiksdal
Yeah. It’s about setting up reasonable parameters (for the unknown). ‘More work’ was meant towards people taking time to vote for less awesome adventures.

@chrissie
Responsibility goes to the forum. The idea was that people are excited about voting but somehow forgot something important, afterwards look at each other and say ‘oops’.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

meteor - 22 June 2022 08:03 PM

@chrissie
Responsibility goes to the forum. The idea was that people are excited about voting but somehow forgot something important, afterwards look at each other and say ‘oops’.

that is a possibility, Laughing
but wouldn’t it be something, rather different and would gather more attention to see what people think, ‘what are the 100 essential adventures’... 101’ Laughing.. , Seriously.

Total Posts: 5053

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Lady Kestrel - 22 June 2022 05:26 PM

I was thinking of something simpler than what you’re proposing, Meteor.  Although my designation is administrator, I don’t have enough access to the workings of the site to create a webpage like the top 100 one that currently exists nor do I want to take on the chore of editing text and other headaches that would go with it.

First, if the objective is to create a new Top 100 list, the first step is to decide what games no longer belong on the list. Arbitrarily, lets say we need to cut 15%. So every person wising to participate submits a list of the 15 games they think need to be pared from the list. That is tabulated, and the 15 games receiving the most votes are cut. Now we are at the Top 85 games. Now we need to replace those games. People can now submit their lists of the top 20 games they played in the last ten years that they think are deserving of a Top 100 ranking. Those are tabulated and the top 15 games move into the Top 100.

Now comes the hard part. Ranking the games. I suggest that ONLY those people who submitted a top 20 listing are allowed to vote on this ranking. Each will submit a list of how they would rank the Top 100. Best game gets 100 points. Last place gets 1 point. Those lists are tabulated, and you have a consensus Top 100.

Of course not everyone will like the results, but that is to be expected. It wouldn’t be AG is someone didn’t complain that the #7 game didn’t deserve its ranking.

This isn’t a task I would wish on my CPA. Lady K, I admire your willingness to undertake this mess. My prayers are with you.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Advie - 22 June 2022 08:37 PM

but wouldn’t it be something, rather different and would gather more attention to see what people think, ‘what are the 100 essential adventures’... 101’ Laughing.. , Seriously.

I mean no disrespect btw, there, I am just saying the ‘essentials list’ is something that I love to think about myself,  the ‘top list’ is what we are here for, it is the idea..,

maybe later, oneday we can think of that essentials list

Total Posts: 524

Joined 2022-02-22

PM

chrissie - 22 June 2022 06:06 PM

As terrible as it seems I’m only interested in my own essential list - if I enjoyed a game I don’t care whether it was perceived as good or bad but if I enjoyed it maybe others would too!  Smile

I agree chrissie.

That’s why I would really struggle to participate in any co-authored Top 100 list. There’s a 99% chance that games I love would have to be left off it, and that’s a painful thought.

I mean, the moment the group decides Full Throttle is a better game than Stories Untold (which if you asked most people around here, is virtually a done deal) I’d be like
  Angry  Pan  Sealed Lips

AKA Charo

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Charophycean - 22 June 2022 11:10 PM

That’s why I would really struggle to participate in any co-authored Top 100 list. There’s a 99% chance that games I love would have to be left off it, and that’s a painful thought.

I’m not all that interested either. I voted only once for the Aggies and I probably won’t participate, even though I posted a list of 65 games (now removed) to see how many are worth recommending. 

I mean, the moment the group decides Full Throttle is a better game than Stories Untold (which if you asked most people around here, is virtually a done deal) I’d be like
  Angry  Pan  Sealed Lips

In that case you’ll be happy to know Stories Untold is in my Post-2000 Top Twenty and Full Throttle is not in my Pre-2000 Top Twenty.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 2454

Joined 2019-12-22

PM

Here’s another question that’s been on my mind: are non-commercial games allowed on the list?

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve come across a few free games that are at least as good if not better than some commercial games so yes, I think they should be allowed.

Total Posts: 190

Joined 2010-09-01

PM

Vegetable Party - 23 June 2022 06:01 AM

Here’s another question that’s been on my mind: are non-commercial games allowed on the list?

Yeah, I don’t see why this should matter. One game that should certainly be in the running is Beneath a Steel Sky which is freeware, so I don’t see why how much a game costs should impact it’s eligibility for such a list.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

rtrooney - 22 June 2022 09:07 PM

……First, if the objective is to create a new Top 100 list, the first step is to decide what games no longer belong on the list. Arbitrarily, lets say we need to cut 15%. So every person wising to participate submits a list of the 15 games they think need to be cut……

The trouble is that I’m sure that I’m not the only one that hasn’t played all 100 games so not in a position to judge the games that may now be perceived as the least-worthy to be there.

I think the way to go initially is to present your top up-to-a-100 favourite games with the option to nominate 1 – 100 games.

meteor - 22 June 2022 08:03 PM

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with reminders of games that appear to have been overlooked to prompt a few limited extra votes to cover if anyone’s forgotten to include them.

They definitely shouldn’t be added otherwise as that to me undermines the democratic process.

Advie - 22 June 2022 09:20 PM
Advie - 22 June 2022 08:37 PM

I mean no disrespect btw, there, I am just saying the ‘essentials list’ is something that I love to think about myself,  the ‘top list’ is what we are here for, it is the idea..,
maybe later, one day we can think of that essentials list

The top list has to start with favourites surely so they are intertwined.  I couldn’t accurately rate a game but if I was presenting my favourites I could divide them into the categories of: Very good, good & games I loved but….

The way I can see it working is to forget about actual ratings to start with & coordinate all of the votes to have an initial top 100 based on the number for each game & go from there to fine-tune it? Smile

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Funky stuff was just thinking loud. It could be fun though. Regarding your pov about ‘your’ list. Isn’t everyone doing it like this? If we’re lucky others also agree with our taste and we learn something new about cool new games. It could be interesting to see the suggestions from each other. Do you have a list already?

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top