• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

The Top 100 - what changes would you make?

Total Posts: 5838

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I don’t have a definitive list of 100 games just yet but I know exactly some of the games that I would include. If the vote is only going to include games from within the last 10 years I’m not sure I could nominate, even though I’ve played more, as many as 100 games.

From what I understand the ‘official’ top 100 games was compiled by reviewers & officiates of this site - please correct me if I’m wrong here!

Yes, I quite like the idea of a breakaway `unofficial’ list!  Laughing

Total Posts: 860

Joined 2017-12-19

PM

TheLongestJourney - 23 June 2022 09:00 AM
Vegetable Party - 23 June 2022 06:01 AM

Here’s another question that’s been on my mind: are non-commercial games allowed on the list?

Yeah, I don’t see why this should matter. One game that should certainly be in the running is Beneath a Steel Sky which is freeware, so I don’t see why how much a game costs should impact it’s eligibility for such a list.

“Ware” status shouldn’t matter; freeware, shareware, abandonware, commercial ware, in the end, you don’t think that so much when you’re playing a game.
Unless it’s one of those horribly bad games, in which case you might think “why did I pay for this”, “I’m glad that I didn’t have to pay for this”, and so on.

If it matters, then games like BASS and FOTAQ will be huge problems, because they are commercial games, which are only these days offered as freeware, but not free to begin with.

I kind of understand excluding free games though. There’s so much shovelware, where someone is using some easy-to-use engine and some pre-made asset packs. But in the end, those can be good games too. And if people are voting sincerely and seriously, then those bad games will never make it to the list, even if they are allowed, so there shouldn’t be any pragmatic problem here. Unless the point is to review software products, like many gaming magazines do.

Another point is whether fan games should be allowed on the list. Personally I would choose no, because instead of showing some original creativity, they are simply reusing premises, characters, plots, and even ripped game assets that other people have made.
Having said that, some fan games are better than some bad commercial games, so it’s not a straightforward call either way.

But free games, freeware, public domain, etc. I support entirely.
Some of that stuff is simply fantastic, like Ben There, Dan That or Sidekick High, just to name a couple of games.

chrissie - 23 June 2022 10:21 AM
rtrooney - 22 June 2022 09:07 PM

……First, if the objective is to create a new Top 100 list, the first step is to decide what games no longer belong on the list. Arbitrarily, lets say we need to cut 15%. So every person wising to participate submits a list of the 15 games they think need to be cut……

The trouble is that I’m sure that I’m not the only one that hasn’t played all 100 games so not in a position to judge the games that may now be perceived as the least-worthy to be there.

I think the way to go initially is to present your top up-to-a-100 favourite games with the option to nominate 1 – 100 games.

Yeah, that would be a very simple way to do it.

Everyone sends his/her own Top 100 list, and games on that list get scores: #1 100 pts., #2 99 pts., #3 98 pts. ....... #98 3 pts., #99 2 pts., and #100 1 pts.

If someone sends only Top 3 selection, only top three points are counted from that voter.

If the point is to make more recent games be listed, it is also possible to mathematically favour recent games, even if that is undoubtedly a controversial method.

But, in theory, if the last year accepted would be 2021, then games from that year would get their final scores with the multiplier of 1.00. Games from 2020 might get score with the multiplier of 0.97, 2019 with the multiplier of 0.94, 2018 - 0.91, 2017 - 0.88, and so on. Or something similar.

That would mean that a classic game from 20 years ago would take some serious penalty with its multiplier, but if it still would push through to highest positions, it would probably be considered a true classic then.

Total Posts: 320

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

@chrissie
I understand. Hmm. Would you like to name a few? I’m curious now.

I have no idea regarding the dusty one, but it feels like reading the old testament.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

i am going thru PAGODA-Data-list games by years, taking notes as I do

https://alofmethbin.com/pagoda/years.php

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

GateKeeper - 23 June 2022 11:08 AM

Another point is whether fan games should be allowed on the list. Personally I would choose no, because instead of showing some original creativity, they are simply reusing premises, characters, plots, and even ripped game assets that other people have made.

Well, I disagree as otherwise you’re steering the nomination process & if they’re no good they won’t be nominated anyway

GateKeeper - 23 June 2022 11:08 AM
chrissie - 23 June 2022 10:21 AM

…I think the way to go initially is to present your top up-to-a-100 favourite games with the option to nominate 1 – 100 games.

Yeah, that would be a very simple way to do it.
Everyone sends his/her own Top 100 list, and games on that list get scores: #1 100 pts., #2 99 pts., #3 98 pts. ....... #98 3 pts., #99 2 pts., and #100 1 pts.
If someone sends only Top 3 selection, only top three points are counted from that voter.
If the point is to make more recent games be listed, it is also possible to mathematically favour recent games, even if that is undoubtedly a controversial method.
But, in theory, if the last year accepted would be 2021, then games from that year would get their final scores with the multiplier of 1.00. Games from 2020 might get score with the multiplier of 0.97, 2019 with the multiplier of 0.94, 2018 - 0.91, 2017 - 0.88, and so on. Or something similar.
That would mean that a classic game from 20 years ago would take some serious penalty with its multiplier, but if it still would push through to highest positions, it would probably be considered a true classic then.

I think my suggestion was simpler!  Laughing

meteor - 23 June 2022 11:12 AM

@chrissie
I understand. Hmm. Would you like to name a few? I’m curious now.
I have no idea regarding the dusty one, but it feels like reading the old testament.

Okay one of my favourite games is Shady Brook both the original & the text remake which impressed me when I thought it wouldn’t. 
The ‘dusty one’? I can’t stop laughing at the fact that you may be referring to the original top 100?  Are you?

Advie - 23 June 2022 11:16 AM

i am going thru PAGODA-Data-list games by years, taking notes as I do

Yes, I’ve had a tentative look myself. Smile

Total Posts: 1789

Joined 2010-01-10

PM

Why are so many people trying to make something so simple so complicated? It’s really remarkably simple. Let’s see if I can’t apply Occam’s Razor:

1. People can enter x number of adventure games to be considered whereby x is to be set by whomever is running the vote (at this moment in time it would appear to be Lady K)

2. ANY adventure game is valid to be nominated regardless of how it came into being. Someone’s fan game could be thought brilliant by one but thought trash by someone else. The matter is entirely subjective.

3. After a set deadline (to be set by whomever is running the vote) those 100 (or 50 or 75 - to be agreed) which carry the most nominations go forward for a ranking vote by the members here.

The only reason I can think people are putting in all these variants is to try to ensure that their preferences have a better chance.

This should be open to all adventure games. I’ve already postulated a certain time frame from which games could be taken from but that didn’t seem to be acceptable from initial reactions but I strongly feel that whatever 100 is eventually decided here it sits alongside the original and does not replace it.

Life is what it is.

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

There might exist different ways how to do something and some are nicer than others, also depending on the specific case.

@chrissie
Smile

I don’t know Shady Brook. Thanks for the hint.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

chrissie - 23 June 2022 11:50 AM

Yes, I’ve had a tentative look myself. Smile

you know you can do better Wink

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

Well, there’s not a lot of point in having a good look until we know the time frame either forever or the last 10ish years Smile

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Maniac Mansion is on my list anyway.

We should wait till Return To Monkey Island will be released. Otherwise the list will be outdated pretty soon, again.

And before 2023 ends terribly, I might want to add Blow’s Sokoban, Phonopolis, Miegakure, Storyteller, Somerville, Lost in Play ...

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

meteor - 23 June 2022 01:41 PM

Maniac Mansion will be in my list anyway.

We should wait till Return To Monkey Island will be released. Otherwise the list will be outdated pretty soon again.

And before 2023 ends terribly, I might want to add Blow’s Sokoban, Phonopolis, Miegakurie, Storyteller, Somerville, Lost in Play ...

Has Putin threatened to aim a missile at your place too?  Smile

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

I don’t know what all these buttons are good for, but looking into history, politics and economy, thinking about it, I guess, I might even know, it’s not (just) russia’s fault.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I’ve been following a lot of stuff so I know there is & has been wider issues but here is not the place. So please, just take my comment as a very flippant throwaway comment.    Smile

Joined 2022-05-09

PM

Of course.

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

meteor - 23 June 2022 01:41 PM

Maniac Mansion is on my list anyway.

If the nominations are limited to 10 years back what then? & what else?  Smile

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!