• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

AG Community Playthrough #73 - Amerzone

Total Posts: 5051

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

Veovis - 07 August 2022 11:34 AM

It should be noted though that in no way is Amerzone a prequel to the Syberia games. The games just share the basic premise or concept, in that you play someone who takes on a journey originally planned for and by somebody else.

Well, I guess if you remove the story arcs, that both games have the same author and publisher, and share most of the design crew, I can see why you think they are unrelated.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

It’s one thing for something to be related to what follows and quite another for it to be a prequel.

The fact that they share certain features in common doesn’t necessarily mean that it’s a prequel, or is there something in Amerzone’s story that points directly to what would become Syberia? I don’t think so.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’ll take you back to the S4 thread.

I am currently creating for Kate Walker a love story that will take place in Syberia 4. What will be her ups and downs? The directions she will be taking? it’s probably a bit early to say. But Kate Walker is an intelligent and free woman: her motto is “Adventure!”, which is included in her love choices… I can only imagine that these will never be final or stopped. https://www.gamedeveloper.com/design/q-a-benoit-sokal-on-i-syberia-i-and-his-comics-career

Which is essentially saying that Sokal was always thinking one game ahead. There is no reason to think that he wasn’t thinking Syberia while he was creating Amerzone.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I agree with Tenebra that Amerzone is not a prequel to Syberia but a stand-alone game.  If Kate Walker or someone else in her story had been to Amerzone or had a relative who knew Valembois or another of the characters, then it could be considered a prequel.  There are no connections from one story to the next except that the games were made by Sokol.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I’m referring to Amerzone being a prequel in slightly different terms. I think Sokal already had Syberia in mind when Amerzone was being developed. Just as he admitted having S4 in mind when putting S3 together. Someone used the term “Proof of Concept” earlier. That could certainly apply. But I think in certain circumstances, this being one of them, the two terms can be synonymous.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 506

Joined 2014-08-01

PM

Well, if we change the definition of prequel then maybe yes. But a sequel per se is nothing more than a work that is created after another and that evokes earlier events.

” I remember. Somebody died. It was me.”
~

Total Posts: 4257

Joined 2005-04-14

PM

Perhaps it was a subconscious prequel.

Everybody wants to be Cary Grant.
Even Me.

-Cary Grant

Total Posts: 513

Joined 2005-07-07

PM

rtrooney - 09 August 2022 06:48 PM

Someone used the term “Proof of Concept” earlier. That could certainly apply. But I think in certain circumstances, this being one of them, the two terms can be synonymous.

I think that was me, but I meant that Amerzone as an experience felt a bit like a proof of concept of that game, not of the Syberia ones.

Maybe the term “spritiual prequel” applies here? Smile

Joined 2004-07-12

PM

I was wrong. Amerzone could not have been a prequel to Syberia. Not for the reasons some of you stated, but for an entirely different reason. After some research I could not find any example where a prequel is the first episode of a story. Whether in games, literature or movies, the prequel always appears after the appearance of the main story. Example: The three-episode Star Wars prequel did not appear until after the three-episode basic story had already hit the silver screen.

So, even if Amerzone’s journalist had been named Kate Walker, and had escaped the volcano and returned to New York to attend law school, it would not have been a prequel. Amerzone would simply have been the first episode in a five episode storyline.

Sorry. I will no longer argue this point.

For whom the games toll,
they toll for thee.

Total Posts: 5837

Joined 2012-03-24

PM

I gave up playing the game for a while as I found trying to get through the swamp quite tedious.  But I have now gone on to finish the game & have for the most part enjoyed replaying it!

In terms of gameplay it’s not one of my favourites as I found some of the navigation awkward & it wasn’t always clear (to me) what needed to be done. But I loved the story & the concept that the existence of the white birds was relegated to being a myth the official line being that it would hamper development of an area when really it was more about hampering the power of individuals.

I thought it was quite sad that Alvarez was one of the original explorers accompanying Valembois & considering where he was found was aware that the myth was based on reality yet wouldn’t acknowledge it?

Thank you Lady Kestrel for leading the playthrough.

Total Posts: 5599

Joined 2008-01-09

PM

I’m glad you were able to finish it, Chrissie.

“Rainy days should be spent at home with a cup of tea and a good book.” -Bill Watterson

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top