• Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums
continue reading below

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

zobraks

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Do we need to evaluate/discuss Daedalic’s achievements & future ?

Poll: What is your favourite Daedalic game so far?
Total Votes: 86
Edna & Harvey: The Breakout
The Whispered World
A New Beginning
Edna & Harvey: Harvey’s New Eyes
Deponia
The Dark Eye: Chains of Satinav
Chaos on Deponia
The Night of the Rabbit
Memoria
Goodbye Deponia
Fire

Total Posts: 1891

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

i think its more along the lines of non-inventory puzzle interactions with the environment, a lot of 1-2 rooms at a time, some qte-like stuff.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

Don’t know what they are planning for Silence, but when developers use the word story-driven then it usually means that they are going down the visual novel / Telltale road, with no puzzles and also only very little exploration.

My expatiations for Silence is by now pretty low.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 52

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

zane - 10 May 2016 12:23 PM

i think its more along the lines of non-inventory puzzle interactions with the environment, a lot of 1-2 rooms at a time, some qte-like stuff.

Yes, I forgot to mention, I do like what they’re saying about discarding inventory-based puzzles. There’s a really underexplored territory out there. Blackwell games had some good examples, like reading a note about a lost cell phone; figuring out who the note is addressed to; looking up that person to find her phone number; calling her phone (which nobody even hears ringing). And also making the player observe the environment, like overhearing background conversations or noticing how Joey’s presence affects certain things. So much can be done without resorting to inventory combinations or logic puzzles.

I’ll pretend I didn’t hear anything about QTEs.

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

Of course, it can always turn out that they’re talking about Gobliiins-style gameplay, where everything boils down to figuring out in which sequence to click on all the hotspots in the scene. That would also count as non-inventory-based. Ugh.

Joined 2015-01-31

PM

Iznogood - 10 May 2016 12:36 PM

Don’t know what they are planning for Silence, but when developers use the word story-driven then it usually means that they are going down the visual novel / Telltale road, with no puzzles and also only very little exploration.

My expatiations for Silence is by now pretty low.

I thought it was me doing the expatiation.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

I dont know this is getting hard to believe, even if Daedalic yet to stick with the real adventures games beside these story driven upcomings i would still be very disappointed, very.

and lancelot, you have to proceed little at the new KQ to taste its magic. the least to say its very nice to see this kind of production happening to an adventure game these days.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

No inventory but Story centric.
Is story strength of Daedalic?
What do you guys think?

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Yes. I believe its an interesting story. Their storytelling is a big part of what makes them stand out to me.
But so is exploration.. and so is their engaging puzzles. So i have my doubts about silence. But i dont doubt that the story will be interesting.

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

zane - 11 May 2016 08:59 PM

Yes. I believe its an interesting story. Their storytelling is a big part of what makes them stand out to me.
But so is exploration.. and so is their engaging puzzles. So i have my doubts about silence. But i dont doubt that the story will be interesting.

Which one was your fav?
Storywise

Joined 2010-11-16

PM

Probably night of the rabbit, possibly because i just really enjoyed the lore and the storytelling style. I like the stories in the majority of their games.

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

nomadsoul - 11 May 2016 08:54 PM

What do you guys think?

Absolutely. Puzzles are their (only?) weak point. Removing the inventory might be the best move they could make.

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

What do you guys think?

i think Martin Ganteföhr can make the difference (or why else would they recruit him), i never was a fan of story driven AGs but this might change with the mature serious style of him.

but to answer your question straight, NO, Daedalic strength is at their classical gameplaying style.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

What do you guys think?

Sure, story is one of the strengths of Daedalic, but it is not the only one. Their biggest strength is that it is never just the story, but is all the three pillars of adventure games.
So NO this is a terrible idea!

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 7446

Joined 2013-08-26

PM

Oscar - 11 May 2016 10:43 PM

What do you guys think?

Absolutely. Puzzles are their (only?) weak point. Removing the inventory might be the best move they could make.

Really? I love the creative, ingenious, crazy puzzles in the Edna and Deponia games. The Whispered World was a bit more traditional, but had some nice ones too. A New Beginning was mediocre, puzzlewise.  Haven’t played the memoria/darkeye etc. games, not my cup of tea.

Butter my buns and call me a biscuit! - Agent A

Total Posts: 4011

Joined 2011-04-01

PM

Hmm, maybe it’s the way they are done. I love the crazy inventory puzzles in the BoUT games, but they are simplified by removing irrelevant objects once you’ve examined them. Daedelic need to do something similar so you aren’t guessing one crazy possibility out of 100 other possibilities.

I also don’t think their gameplay varies that much from game to game. A New Beginning was one of the most tedious games I have ever played.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top