• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

GameSpot: 8/10
Tongue

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Eurogamer:6/10
“The Serpent’s Curse just feels rushed. The well-researched plot takes its sweet time to truly get going and when it does, it’s already over again. So, taken by itself, this first episode feels pretty average. It’s up to the second half to pull the chestnuts out of the fire.”

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 1279

Joined 2012-07-11

PM

Okay, going back and playing a few older adventure games makes me realise how good the puzzles are in the Serpent’s Curse/BS1 & 2. Take the whispered world for example. It’s a good game, but I’m really not sure where to start looking for my next goal. The answer is obscure and not fun.

Recently completed: Game of Thrones (decent), Tales from the borderlands (great!), Life is Strange (great!), Stasis (good), Annas Quest (great!); Broken Age (poor)

Total Posts: 8720

Joined 2012-01-02

PM

Gabe - 12 December 2013 01:47 PM

Eurogamer:6/10
“The Serpent’s Curse just feels rushed. The well-researched plot takes its sweet time to truly get going and when it does, it’s already over again. So, taken by itself, this first episode feels pretty average. It’s up to the second half to pull the chestnuts out of the fire.”

shouldn’t they wait until part 2 is out, it is supposed to feel that way, to end at a cliffhanger ,and both parts should be reviewed together as whole.

Total Posts: 419

Joined 2003-09-12

PM

I enjoyed it very much, both the story and the puzzles are fun.

The only drawback are that it feels like everything is smeared out a little too thin. Very little information are being revealed if you consider the gameplay length. There are very few locations and it gets a bit too linear for its own good. It can still turn out to be a very good game but as most people points out it very much depends on the second episode (obviously).

NP: A Link Between Worlds, Beneath a Steel Sky and Vampyr

Total Posts: 345

Joined 2012-04-04

PM

I actually would have been fine waiting for the full game early next year. It was nice of them to feel obliged to get us something before Xmas, but I think it would have been more beneficial to release a full game as opposed to this half-game that ends just as things pick up. Also could have used the time to add some polish to some of the things in this half, such as adding some cutscenes when travelling between places (i.e plane taking off, the classic red line over a map) instead of the black screen with the text which I thought was overused, and just made it feel that slightly bit cheaper.

That said, overrall, they did pretty darn good job.

Total Posts: 200

Joined 2006-05-29

PM

rottford - 11 December 2013 01:35 PM

Almost the entire first half of the game felt like classic Broken Sword, except for one part: Henri’s apartment. Is it just me, or does that location look and feel like something out of Runaway? Even the dress-up puzzle and the “Jasmine” song seem like stuff taken from the Runaway series. That whole part of the game threw me off and made me feel like I wasn’t walking in George’s shoes anymore, but Brian Bosco’s shoes. Did anyone else think the same?

Also, I couldn’t help but feel like the street vendor was the grown-up version of the boy vendor in Syria from BS1. Anyone else?

Yes to both of these. The dress up puzzle felt very out of place for a Broken Sword Game, as did the music sequence - I couldn’t put my finger on it at the time, but you’re absolutely right about it feeling more like Runaway at that point.

And it did cross my mind that the business-savvy Arabic street vendor could’ve been a nod towards a grown up BS1 kid.

Total Posts: 1338

Joined 2009-08-06

PM

Anyone noticed the flying pig in the sky?

Also thought Richard Langham was a nod to Robert Langdon(same initials).

Total Posts: 2653

Joined 2013-03-14

PM

Yeah, the “make up George” bit was propably the most out of place bit in the game. It felt like it was lifted from some other game. Very Runawayish joke.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-09-16

PM

I have waited for this game for a long time, and was very exited for a true old school adventure, and now after part 1 was left disappointed.

I was so annoyed that I had to share my thoughts here, and as you see this is marked as my first post, although I have been registered since 2006 and been playing adventure games since 2000, and played a lot, really a lot, that is how much I was disappointed.

To make it clear and structured:

CONS

1. It is waaayyy tooo short, I have finished the first part for 3-4 hours and I honestly expected couple of days, and the game shown 50% when I saved, and my thoughts where this is the 50% of this 1 part, and not the whole game, but nooooo, very disappointing

2. To short man, to short, if this is 50% as the game says, and the 2 part is the other 50% then I can expect another 3-4-5 hours of play for a game that was developed for a long time and still isn’t finished, and used money of passionate players. Everyone deserves much much much more of game play

3.The story seems some kind of artificial if you know what I mean, like forced story, like empty story but we need to make something and give to the fans, I didn’t feel the writers passion and mystery from one bit of the game, it is more like you know there is this painting very old, we tried to paint it to be mysterious and scary (but it isn’t) and there are these Gnostics, and this evil, and this little boy, but really not put together as something dark, something mysterious, but on the contrary a CHEARFULL feeling.

If this is the real BS then the killer wouldn’t be some lame guy with pizza and motor helmet, c’mon we want mystery killer like ninja, like cloaked guy appearing from nowhere.

And father simon, c’mon, so artificial character, forced lines, evil, evil, and his face looking so non emotional.

The wife of Henry, and the whole story and feel of having a body of her dead husband in her home for 2-3 days in open coffin is disgusting, and unrealistic if she is ALL the time alone with him, there is nobody with her, her sister maybe, her best friend, relatives, cousins, anyone, it is well know that in situations like that someone always have to stay with the wife as she could kill her self or do whatever, very forced and artificial.
Also the body was delivered to her I would say immediately, what about an obduction as it was a murder, that last at least for 3 days, and then the court decides to give the body to family

4. Audio and character visual not in sync when speaking, like random opening of mouth it annoyed me a lot, as the characters are offten shown at close angle.

5. SELF closing doors, someone enters the room and doors closes by it self (and I’m not speaking of doors with sensors, but normal home doors) by push of the ghost I guess, it looks so stupid and artificial. And we have that in almost every sceen.

6. EVERY DAY, and I mean EVERY day the same clothes on all the characters, on all, nobody changes it clothes, not even after a 2-3 days, even if they travel to another country, get back home, and then again travel the other day always the same clothes C’MON….

7. No cut scenes, this really sucks, we had an introduction, and that is it. They didn’t dare to make a few cut scenes, between days, going to sleep let’s say in a cell, or when traveling, or when the murder is being executed of father Simon, or the painter, or setting the fire, or firemen arriving…
People just appear practically from nowhere in new scenes.
We want a map of Europe or where ever they travel, to choose where to travel, and see it, if it was in BS1 or BS2 with extremely limited ethnology at that time, now we can have a friking 3D globe as a map connected to my thoughts, let alone NOTHING.

8. Everything is sooooo empty, as if the whole city is vanished, nobody on the streets, you can’t enter anywhere, you can’t try anything, you can’t speak to anyone, it is sooo rigid and artificial.

9. Boy with a stand, c’mon, so forced and artificial, at the end of the mall, no people, nobody, like they live alone in the world. What is the sign for if there is absolutely no one to see it EVER.

10. Everything is done in one or 2 rooms, so you know the solution is only there as George refuses to leave the premises, and you combine what you have and find the solution, this is so lame.

PROS

1. BS is finally here, after a long wait, an old school adventure, and by the first look it graphics have returned to the old BS1 and BS2, very very good.

2. Graphics are really beautiful and very very detailed

3. That is it for pros, I don’t know if I even can squeeze the dialogs, maybe, for me they where very boring at most times, and I skipped them, but can say that voice acting as a separate element was very good.

Conclusion for me is this: very very beautiful graphics, old school feeling like BS2 mostly, non finished and non polished game, and very very hollow, empty, forced and non interesting and non mysterious story.

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Did everyone finish at exactly 50%? When I finished the episode, my overall game progression stopped at 51%. Does this mean I actually managed to find something nobody else did? Smile

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 4

Joined 2006-09-16

PM

Dag - 13 December 2013 08:44 PM

Did everyone finish at exactly 50%? When I finished the episode, my overall game progression stopped at 51%. Does this mean I actually managed to find something nobody else did? Smile

Smile I guess you have find out that you have thrown your money out of a window Tongue

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

jopps - 13 December 2013 08:52 PM

Smile I guess you have find out that you have thrown your money out of a window Tongue

Hehe, no, I’m actually quite happy about having backed this. It did have a slight beta-feel to it, I admit, but so far, (next to Broken Age) this is the kickstarter that’s shaped up the best. Charles Cecil has proven to be the kind of developer who takes user feedback seriously, and I’m sure a lot of the complaints this first episode has received will be adressed before the release of the finale.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 2112

Joined 2013-08-25

PM

jopps - 13 December 2013 08:37 PM

I have waited for this game for a long time, and was very exited for a true old school adventure, and now after part 1 was left disappointed.

Most of your complains touch one particular subject which is called budget. Revolution didn’t have budget for more cut-scenes, people strolling by, perfect lip-sync, characters closing doors and changing clothes, simple as that. Also I don’t see how anyone can rush through the game in 3 hours, unless he skips dialogues and all interactions. What’s the point in playing then?

PC means personal computer

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

Doom - 14 December 2013 02:16 AM

Most of your complains touch one particular subject which is called budget. Revolution didn’t have budget for more cut-scenes, people strolling by, perfect lip-sync, characters closing doors and changing clothes, simple as that. Also I don’t see how anyone can rush through the game in 3 hours, unless he skips dialogues and all interactions. What’s the point in playing then?

They pledged that gonna make it for 400k$ and got about 800k$ now can you imagine what kind of BS game could’ve been release with about 400k$ ;no cutscenes,no people strolling by,no lip sync,no characters closing doors and changing clothes, simple as that.Hey wait a minute..no pizza delivery guy’s helmet,no shop for flower lady,no cell phone for George maybe..

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top