• News
  • Reviews
  • Top Games
  • Search
  • New Releases
  • Daily Deals
  • Forums

Adventure Gamers - Forums

Welcome to Adventure Gamers. Please Sign In or Join Now to post.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Post Marker Legend:

• New Topic New posts
  • Old Topic No new posts

Currently online

walas74

Support us, by purchasing through these affiliate links

Broken Sword 5

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

gray pierce - 10 December 2013 05:51 AM

I’m starting to get annoyed by the fact there’s still no review up for this game here. I kinda expected that to happen the first day after release. There’s probably a very good reason for the delay but I am starting to get very anxious te read what the offical AG verdict is.

I’m not sure that reviewing the first half of a soon-to-be completed whole is appropriate. A preview, perhaps.

Total Posts: 813

Joined 2004-08-01

PM

Because no single episode of a telltale game got a review? What?

Total Posts: 59

Joined 2012-02-15

PM

Revolution revived the Broken Sword with The Serpent’s Curse, which is rudely divided (we could say “broken”) in two parts. This first episode of the investigation is pleasant to follow, and even a little easy, it offers some of what fans expect from this point & click series: the humor of unusual characters and a funny world of clichés, but it misses the dark fantastic side, pushed back to the next episode. So, we keep a cool head and we wait for Episode 2. 6/10[“Gameblog.fr”]

If they gonna show any attempt to set game to better path second
episode must be delayed,eeh let’s say about a year at least.

Total Posts: 3933

Joined 2011-03-14

PM

I’m starting to get annoyed by the fact there’s still no review up for this game here. I kinda expected that to happen the first day after release. There’s probably a very good reason for the delay but I am starting to get very anxious te read what the offical AG verdict is.

I’m not sure I would call a review “the offical AG verdict is” it is after all still only one persons opinion. The Aggie awards, Top 100 list etc. is closer to that, as it is the whole staff that contributes here.

But yeah I’m also curious to see what kind of review it gets here.

Frogacuda - 10 December 2013 09:54 AM

I’m not sure that reviewing the first half of a soon-to-be completed whole is appropriate. A preview, perhaps.

I disagree, many people will wait for a review before deciding to buy the game or not, and there is really no need to wait for the last part before providing that service to the readers.

Besides it seems to be the site policy to review all episodes in episodic games individually and not as a whole.

JBS - 10 December 2013 12:31 PM

If they gonna show any attempt to set game to better path second
episode must be delayed,eeh let’s say about a year at least.

I disagree!
The game is what it is for better or worse, even if it is not all some of us had hoped it would be.

You have to play the game, to find out why you are playing the game! - eXistenZ

Total Posts: 6605

Joined 2007-07-22

PM

Before the official review launches, I’d be more than content too see some user reviews (something more than - “the game was good”, or “it sucked”).

Recently finished: Four Last Things 4/5, Edna & Harvey: The Breakout 5/5, Chains of Satinav 3,95/5, A Vampyre Story 88, Sam Peters 3/5, Broken Sword 1 4,5/5, Broken Sword 2 4,3/5, Broken Sword 3 85, Broken Sword 5 81, Gray Matter 4/5\nCurrently playing: Broken Sword 4, Keepsake (Let\‘s Play), Callahan\‘s Crosstime Saloon (post-Community Playthrough)\nLooking forward to: A Playwright’s Tale

Total Posts: 1289

Joined 2012-07-15

PM

Though there were a few issues, and I agree to some extent about some of the complaints here, (beta feel - empty streets, should’ve been more locations and interactions) I still think this was the best Broken Sword since 1997, and the most enjoyable first half of an adventure game in many years. The episode ended at a satisfying point and I’m looking very much forward to the second part.

Duckman: Can you believe it? Five hundred bucks for a parking ticket?
Cornfed Pig: You parked in a handicapped zone.
Duckman: Who cares? Nobody parks there anyway, except for the people who are supposed to park there and, hell, I can outrun them anytime.

Total Posts: 966

Joined 2005-11-29

PM

Iznogood - 10 December 2013 06:50 PM

I disagree, many people will wait for a review before deciding to buy the game or not, and there is really no need to wait for the last part before providing that service to the readers.

Besides it seems to be the site policy to review all episodes in episodic games individually and not as a whole.

The distinction here, is that the “episodes” are not really episodes, and cannot be purchased individually. You pay for a whole, and in order to review the game and make a value judgement, one would have to play that whole.

There’s nothing wrong with writing about the first episode, but it seems wrong to rule on whether or not it’s worth the $20 without playing everything that $20 buys you.

I have the same take on Broken Age. They’re selling it as “early access” not as a stand-alone episode. I think reviewing it is as bad as reviewing a beta. It’s just not a complete product.

Total Posts: 57

Joined 2009-07-07

PM

I for one loved it. It’s very much a return to form for the series, and it’s full of little details and fan service, without really indulging itself. Couldn’t help but sqeal (no pun intended) with glee when I saw the pig above Battersea. It really oozes atmosphere, and the game really feels like a continuation of the first two titles.

The only problem here, in my opinion, is that it’s a first part of a larger tale, resulting in an episode that’s all about setup without payoff. Depending on how good the payoff in episode two is, I can’t help but wonder how many people would feel underwhelmed if the game had been released as a whole.

“It is so shocking to find out how many people do not believe that they can learn, and how many more believe learning to be difficult.”

Total Posts: 1089

Joined 2003-09-30

PM

This game reminds me BS 2.5 and i think BS 1.5 suits better than 5 coz doesnt seem like anything (except graphics) upgraded but downgraded.

“Going on means going far - Going far means returning”

Total Posts: 134

Joined 2007-03-25

PM

Almost the entire first half of the game felt like classic Broken Sword, except for one part: Henri’s apartment. Is it just me, or does that location look and feel like something out of Runaway? Even the dress-up puzzle and the “Jasmine” song seem like stuff taken from the Runaway series. That whole part of the game threw me off and made me feel like I wasn’t walking in George’s shoes anymore, but Brian Bosco’s shoes. Did anyone else think the same?

Also, I couldn’t help but feel like the street vendor was the grown-up version of the boy vendor in Syria from BS1. Anyone else?

Total Posts: 12

Joined 2009-06-18

PM

It’s a solid effort that won’t win any new fans to genre, since it’s a very traditional point and click adventure, but hey, isn’t that what we all wanted?
The voice acting is pretty good and the humor mostly works. I even had a few LOL moments. There are 2 things which I would like to commend revolution for doing:
1) Not using the ‘hotspot highlight button’ so common in adventure games these years, and deciding to use fewer hotspots in each screen instead. What this button was supposed to do was eliminate pixel hunting, and in my opinion this is pure game-design laziness. You can eliminate pixel hunting by not making every object on-screen interactive, and by making sensible decisions on which objects should be interactive (Not a small pin in the back of the bus that doesn’t even tingle. I’m looking at you Pendulo). I really hate it in a game (cough.. Vampyre story.. cough) when I reach a new screen and press that button only to see about 20-30 red dots. It’s discouraging, and 99% of these hotspots mean nothing to the game, and simply trigger an uninteresting response from the main character. If the graphic design is good enough I can see what’s going on in the scene, and I don’t need the main charecter to tell me that (Look at window - “It’s a window”. No s**t).
2) Choosing condensed areas for puzzles. Everyone says the puzzles in this game are easy, but are they really? Some of them are quite obscure, but they all take place in 1 or 2 locations at a time. This is good game design. Think about games 20 years ago - the 1st Simon the sorcerer for example, where you could visit about 15 locations from the start, and needed to solve the puzzles across all of them - was that good game design? I don’t think so. Sure, it made the game a lot harder, but what’s the difference between that and pixel hunting? It made everything more tedious - picked up a new item? Let’s go everywhere we can and see if there’s anything you forgot on which you can use it. Want another example? I’m not sure if any of you remember “Ark of time”, but in that game you had to pick up a blank piece of paper in one country, and than travel to another one to use it. This is ilogical game design at best.

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2013-08-07

PM

Just finished. Not going to write a thorough review, and I did enjoy the game although not nearly as much as I had hoped. The biggest issue for me is that the game felt too guided by the dialogue and “trapped” map locations. I prefer games that leave the player to form a solution through multiple possibilities and areas. Also, what’s up with useless items in the inventory? It seems really unnecessary to collect those items in the first chapter if they’re intended to be for the next one.

rottford - 11 December 2013 01:35 PM

Almost the entire first half of the game felt like classic Broken Sword, except for one part: Henri’s apartment. Is it just me, or does that location look and feel like something out of Runaway?

Thank you! I was trying to figure out why that part felt so off and that’s exactly it.

Maybe it’s just me, but I agree with an AG review maybe 20% of the time lately. I’m kind of confused by the great reviews they’ve been giving mediocre games.

Total Posts: 8472

Joined 2011-10-21

PM

@ doron:

you need to play Callahan’s Crosstime Saloon. You’ll find 50 hotspots in each screen, and after reading all the commentaries, you’ll wish for more hotspots, because every single one of them is a hilarious pun! Tongue

Also, fewer hotspots equals a lower difficulty and a shorter game…

The truth can’t hurt you, it’s just like the dark: it scares you witless but in time you see things clear and stark. - Elvis Costello
Maybe this time I can be strong, but since I know who I am, I’m probably wrong. Maybe this time I can go far, but thinking about where I’ve been ain’t helping me start. - Michael Kiwanuka

Total Posts: 7109

Joined 2005-09-29

PM

doron - 11 December 2013 01:47 PM

“Ark of time”, but in that game you had to pick up a blank piece of paper in one country, and than travel to another one to use it. This is ilogical game design at best.

Such a crap game

*runs*

Total Posts: 35

Joined 2012-03-07

PM

doron - 11 December 2013 01:47 PM

2) Choosing condensed areas for puzzles. Everyone says the puzzles in this game are easy, but are they really? Some of them are quite obscure, but they all take place in 1 or 2 locations at a time. This is good game design. Think about games 20 years ago - the 1st Simon the sorcerer for example, where you could visit about 15 locations from the start, and needed to solve the puzzles across all of them - was that good game design? I don’t think so. Sure, it made the game a lot harder, but what’s the difference between that and pixel hunting? It made everything more tedious - picked up a new item? Let’s go everywhere we can and see if there’s anything you forgot on which you can use it. Want another example? I’m not sure if any of you remember “Ark of time”, but in that game you had to pick up a blank piece of paper in one country, and than travel to another one to use it. This is ilogical game design at best.

For me the first StS was a brilliant game, also in terms of puzzle design, but tastes may differ. Of course one can give examples of bad puzzle design in (let’s say) “multiple locations puzzles” (your example from Ark of Time. Remember though that BS1 had several puzzles like that - even various “cross-countries puzzles”).

But “one location puzzles” (or adjacent locations puzzles) and multiple location puzzles can both be designed in a good or bad way. Of course there’s a difference between “multiple location puzzles” and “pixel hunting,” unless the former involves pixel hunting as well (e.g. one has to associate in order to solve parts of the puzzle, or figure out a series of puzzles to solve the initial one – but there are more differences and (dis-)advantages that could be mentioned here).

There are games with “one location puzzles” that are very hard (and sometimes brilliant). The problem with this installment according to various posts is that the game has too many “one location puzzles” (1) that are easy to solve (2), and one can add that overall the type of puzzles is pretty common/familiar/uninspired (3) (at least for those who have some experiences with playing adventure games). The player also will realize soon that he/she always can find the solution in one location (or adjacent location), which in itself tends to make the puzzle solving easier (though not necessarily results in easy puzzles). Moreover, it diminishes the sense of adventure, not only because you don’t have to do some exploring to solve a puzzle (preferably in a multi-linear game world), but also (by not blocking/postponing the solution for the moment) because it doesn’t create expectations that can be resolved later on, which can give the player a greater sense of accomplishment.

I had been looking forward to the announced “new puzzle design” (combining previous acquired knowledge) but apparently these were considered to be too “hard”. But as said in my previous post, this way of designing puzzles must have been a conscious decision by Revolution, to attract more (casual) gamers, and, noticing the huge decline in locations that one can explore in comparison with the first BS game, apparently to reduce development costs. The first could have been avoided to suit the players that like “hard” adventure games, the latter is something quite sad. If I remember correctly I read somewhere (at Tony’s Tumblr blog I believe) the development costs are about three/four times the Kickstarter amount, and even for such an amount nowadays it isn’t apparently possible to develop a game with the length and richness of the first BS game. Let’s hope the sales do very well, so Revolution can create games that will satisfy all kinds of fans.

You are here: HomeForum Home → Gaming → Adventure → Thread

Welcome to the Adventure Gamers forums!

Back to the top