You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Dragon Age 2 Revealed

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-08-2010, 09:04 AM   #1

Default Dragon Age 2 Revealed

From the game's official website:

And here's the usual press talk:
Quote:
Experience the epic sequel to the 2009 Game of the Year from the critically acclaimed makers of Dragon Age: Origins and Mass Effect 2. You are one of the few who escaped the destruction of your home. Now, forced to fight for survival in an ever-changing world, you must gather the deadliest of allies, amass fame and fortune, and seal your place in history. This is the story of how the world changed forever. The legend of your Rise to Power begins now.

Key Features:

•Embark upon an all-new adventure that takes place across an entire decade and shapes itself around every decision you make.
•Determine your rise to power from a destitute refugee to the revered champion of the land.
•Think like a general and fight like a Spartan with dynamic new combat mechanics that put you right in the heart of battle whether you are a mage, rogue, or warrior.
•Go deeper into the world of Dragon Age with an entirely new cinematic experience that grabs hold of you from the beginning and never lets go.
•Discover a whole realm rendered in stunning detail with updated graphics and a new visual style.
I myself am a bit worried about the 'new combat mechanics'. I hope this does not mean thata they're abandoning real time with pause or that we can also play the game point and click on the PC?

Te forum at the bioware social site:

http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/category/141/index

According to this thread, we'll play as new guy or girl named hawke

http://social.bioware.com/forum/Drag...3052363-1.html
(source:
http://dragonage.bioware.com/ - and then news)

I, for one am a bit disappointed in this. I agree with DPB at the forums at rpgwatch. com that rpg games where you fully create
your character seems to be dead. Instead, we're left with a fixed (human?) character called Hawke...

The old dialgue tree-structure seems gone, too, the game will probably be full voiced over, even for Hawke (but that shouldn't bother us, we're used to that in adventure games...)

Oh, and for those of you near a news stand or a place that sells magazines there's a full article in the august issue of Game Informer about DA2
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 AM   #2

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

hahaha leave it to bioware to take whats good about their games and destroy it. If this is the case, I'm thinking there is absolutley nothing that would make me interested in this sequel. Lame.
Old 07-08-2010, 12:38 PM   #3
Junior Mint

Leave it to the internet to allow people to bash a game that's not even close to existing yet.
Old 07-08-2010, 01:09 PM   #4
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
hahaha leave it to bioware to take whats good about their games and destroy it. If this is the case, I'm thinking there is absolutley nothing that would make me interested in this sequel. Lame.
Owskie, have you even PLAYED Dragon Age 2 yet? Otherwise you risk being a troll.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-08-2010, 02:45 PM   #5

I just hope and pray to the gaming gods that Bioware keep the isometric view and the tactical pause/action point & click combat intact. I would also like some connection between DA1 and 2, but seems like they are going for a new story and new characters.

I'm just afraid they go down the path of real time combat, consolization and "Mass Effectisation"... i mean i love Mass Effect but i would like for both games to keep a completely diferent feel and mechanics.

Lets wait and see.
Old 07-08-2010, 02:48 PM   #6

Quote:
Guess you haven't played Mass Effect 2. lol

http://www.sbnewsom.com/
Old 07-08-2010, 03:12 PM   #7

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Mass Effect was the only game I even remotley enjoyed from Bioware, unfortunatley I haven't played Mass Effect 2 due to a lack of time.

Anywho, I'm simply stating that the things that are said to be removed from dragon age 2 are the only things I enjoyed about the first game.

Lets look at what I said

"leave it to bioware to take whats good about their games and destroy it"

Situation at hand, theres talk about having removed character customization and the dialogue trees. There is a saying if its good, don't break it. Removing something that worked so well. Wether it ends up being a good move or not has yet to be seen. However, these things being the only things I enjoyed from the first game brings me into the second thing I said.

"it. If this is the case, I'm thinking there is absolutley nothing that would make me interested in this sequel."

Based on the information given to me, I have concluded how I feel about the game development and their decisions at the present time.

I in no way bashed the game itself.

I never even said there is nothing that interests me, I said I'm thinking that there will be nothing. I'm not a Psychic, but with my favorite elements of DAO removed, this is just my logical assumption as a majority of their games havent changed formula too much.
Old 07-08-2010, 04:14 PM   #8
merely human

Quote:
"leave it to bioware to take whats good about their games and destroy it"
That's your opinion, naturally. So just don't buy the game when it comes out.

Me? I am absolutely thrilled that BioWare is exploring fresh ideas and experimenting with concepts while at the same time refining what they feel are the strongest points of their games.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-08-2010, 05:12 PM   #9
Junior Mint

Quote:
I in no way bashed the game itself.
really? I beg to differ:
Quote:
Lame.
Quote:
I never even said there is nothing that interests me, I said I'm thinking that there will be nothing. I'm not a Psychic, but with my favorite elements of DAO removed, this is just my logical assumption as a majority of their games havent changed formula too much.
It's not a logical assumption. So they're taking some elements out that you enjoyed. Maybe they're replacing them with some elements that you'll enjoy just as much. You have no idea, and no basis upon which to form an opinion.

For example, do you honestly think they're going to completely remove dialogue from the game, just because they're removing the current dialogue tree system?
Old 07-08-2010, 06:48 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Owskie, have you even PLAYED Dragon Age 2 yet? Otherwise you risk being a troll.
Just head to bioware social forums to enjoy more of this. Bioware so far has confirmed (hope I haven't included a rumor in 1 of these),

1) The main character will be a human named Hawke.
2) it's 10 years after the Origins campaign.
3) It won't have multiplayer .
4) The main character will likely be voiceovered
5) The woman under the dragon in one of the two pictures they released is relevant to the story.
6) Origins story will be loosely relevant (they didn't specify in what way) but not directly connected.
7) Hawke is not Morrigan's child

These are posted by Bioware devs in some of the gazilion threads in DA2 forums, can't really dig the links one by one.

Some fans understood:

1) Bioware will destroy DA2 as an RPG.
2) Combat will be like Oblivion.
3) EA plans to destroy the RPG genre.
4) Bioware did this on purpose to destroy the "effort" (lol - it's a game) people put into Origins.

There is also a thread about how sexist it is to have a male and not a female under DA2's dragon on the DVD cover +the voiceovers will probably be for male characters. Another thread saying that Dragon Age will become Mass Effect (for whatever reasons they find this bad), another one on how Bioware keeps letting people down with its games, another thread on how the new (unannounced) combat system is going to destroy RPGs. etc etc.

DA2 forum should be renamed to "2010: the end of rpgs, discuss". I never thought so little information could cause such nerdrage . I have to admit tho, reading all that has been a quite enjoyable experience.

If people want the exact same experience as in BG saga, the game is there to play, you can import you characters, not voiceovered protagonists allow all races & classes to be used as a main character, etc etc. For one, I'm happy to see Bioware not repeating BG with improved graphics and instead doing really new stuff, making their own game world, trying different campaigns there, using their own combat system instead of D&D.

Last edited by imisssunwell; 07-08-2010 at 06:56 PM.
Old 07-08-2010, 09:37 PM   #11

I really love the idea of the game spanning a decade. It worked well in Fable 2 and I think it'll work even better here. I've got faith in BioWare. The first Dragon Age was truly exceptional.
Old 07-09-2010, 03:19 AM   #12
self-distracted

Send a message via MSN to maladroid

I think it is safe to assume that based on the titbits of information that have already become available, Bioware is turning the game around to fit the Mass Effect formula to a large extent. It may seem "unfair" to pass judgement on a game for which we know next to nothing regarding the core storyline and combat mechanics, but that's exactly what I am about to do.

Considering that ME2 was a tremendous critical and commercial success, I suppose that it shouldn't come as a surprise that Bioware would try to aim for a similar direction with their other big franchise. For better or worse, ME has become a point of refference for the industry and it seems only natural for its own creator to use it as a guideline as well (it seems that this game's title was far more prophetic than even Bioware would dare imagine). Personally, I feel that Dragon Age might benefit from the more cinematic approach and I'll leave it to Bioware to make combat immersive (if less tactical, as I reckon that me may not have direct control over our companions this time around - a la ME) and our semi-predetermined character a real treat.

Truth be told, I am more concerned over the storyline. Judging from the cover/promo pic and the "Rise to power" quote, I can't help but make Fable connections which is not an approach I would like for Dragon Age (or any RPG for that matter). I didn't care much for the way my Bhaalspawn was treated in the Throne of Bhaal expansion (BG2) and so far it seems that our guy/girl might be something similar set in DA universe. I would rather be significant but not omnipotent compared to the powers that be - I think The Witcher nailed this notion pretty well since Geralt was both an influential figure and a "hero of the hour" type but also being played into powerful people's schemes and massive conflicts that were more or less out of his control. Maybe when more information about the storyline pops up we will be able to have a more clear picture of what they have in mind for Hawke.

The other thing I am mildly concerned about is the "new visual style". I trust in Bioware's taste (and resources) to make the game look nice but this slightly over-the top concept art sketch on their website (the 1/2 with the mage woman) makes me a bit nervous. I just hope they don't pull a "Clone Wars" on us, the style of the first game fitted the world quite nicely for me. Nothing spectacular, but well-rounded and solid for a "grounded" fantasy world like the one of DA.

Anyway, I guess I just wanted to share my initial thoughts (and minor concerns) on the announced information. All things considered, I have faith that whatever the direction, Bioware will eventually deliver. I am just not sure if it will be what most of us ordered...

Proud supporter of Tex Murphy - Project Fedora
Old 07-09-2010, 04:16 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by imisssunwell View Post
Another thread saying that Dragon Age will become Mass Effect (for whatever reasons they find this bad)

If people want the exact same experience as in BG saga, the game is there to play... I'm happy to see Bioware not repeating BG with improved graphics and instead doing really new stuff, making their own game world, trying different campaigns there, using their own combat system instead of D&D.
Like i said earlier i love Mass Effect, but what is the logic to take DA2 into that road. The point of DA:O was to return to the old style RPG's like Baldur's Gate, Mass Effect point is to mix RPG with a classic shooter. Each one has a different market so let's not mix them. Dragon Age is supposed to be deep, tactical, with lots of stats, inventory managment, point & click and a full fledge RPG, not a mix, thats why Bioware made DA:O in the first place, and what fans want.

However i'm just speculating, we know nothing about the game, i'm just stating my fears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by maladroid View Post
Considering that ME2 was a tremendous critical and commercial success, I suppose that it shouldn't come as a surprise that Bioware would try to aim for a similar direction with their other big franchise.
Believe it or not Dragon Age was a bigger comercial success than Mass Effect, so why change it to the same formula as Mass Effect?
Old 07-09-2010, 04:18 AM   #14

DAO was great, but i did hate the downloadable content they tried to make you buy in it, so tacky. I would say looking at the possible changes that there are some positives & some questions still to be answerd. Anyway, nice to know there will be a DAO2, and one to watch out for in future.
Old 07-09-2010, 07:03 AM   #15

BooB

Saying Lame, has nothing to do with the game itself, but what I already stated. It was about their decisions. I obviously can have no opinion about the game because it isnt out, however I can make assumptions about how I will receive the game based on information given to me. When more information is given, I can adjust my opinion. Its self correcting. Just like science.

I knew I'd hate Justin Beiber before I even heard him though...
Old 07-09-2010, 07:16 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
That's your opinion, naturally. So just don't buy the game when it comes out.

Me? I am absolutely thrilled that BioWare is exploring fresh ideas and experimenting with concepts while at the same time refining what they feel are the strongest points of their games.
fair enough
Old 07-09-2010, 07:57 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Like i said earlier i love Mass Effect, but what is the logic to take DA2 into that road.
Personally, I doubt it, Mass Effect uses a shooter engine (Unreal 3) and DA2 using that as well, would mean that Bioware abandons its own engine (Aurora derivatives). I very much doubt they'd stop using and developing their own successful engine.

Dragon Age is indeed a return to the origins of RPG games but this doesn't mean a Baldur's Gate clone with new graphics. As for the combat, the more real-time it gets, without sacrificing tactical complexity, the better imho. When I first played WoW, I was like wow, this is like D&D but real time. Of course in WoW you can have tactics and all that because 25 different people control one character each. If Bioware finds a way to make party-based single player combat even a little more real-time, it would be great but I doubt their plans are to make this an action RPG, just change it a little and make combat a little bit more RT.

Again, this is speculation, we know nothing about the combat, it may just be a promo trick, and the combat stays essentially the same.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:40 AM   #18

Finally, someone at the DA2 forums posted a complete list of what is officially said about the game, with links. See http://social.bioware.com/forum/1/topic/141/index/3064634

So far (9/7/2010):

Quote:

From the press release:
The main character's surname is Hawke

Hawke survived "the Blight"

Hawke is known as "the Champion of Kirkwall"

Hawke is a "refugee"

DA2's story will span 10 years

DA2 will be released in March 2011 for PC, XBox 360, and PS3

From the forums:

Morrigan is NOT Hawke's mother; Hawke is NOT the "god baby" [Victor Wachter]

Hawke can be male or female [David Gaider], [Mary Kirby], [Chris Priestly]

Hawke is human [Chris Priestly]

DA2 is a single-player game [Chris Priestly]

"More than half" of the Dragon Age left by the time Awakening begins [David Gaider]

"Hawke can, indeed, be a mage." [Mary Kirby]

There will be more DLC and patches for DAO before DA2 is released [Chris Priestly], [Chris Priestly]

No word so far on different editions [Chris Priestly]

From elsewhere:
Kirkwall is located on the southern edge of the Vimmark Mountains, north of Ferelden [this map]

This is all that is known about the game, nothing more, all the rest is what people believe, without any legit source of information, the game will look like.

So far it looks quite promising, I'm just a little disappointed as I hoped for multiplayer.

Edit:

Last edited by imisssunwell; 07-09-2010 at 09:26 AM.
Old 07-09-2010, 08:46 AM   #19

Thanks for the info, imisssunwell

However i'm confused by this point, i'm not getting it:
"More than half" of the Dragon Age left by the time Awakening begins [David Gaider]
Old 07-09-2010, 08:59 AM   #20

I think (or know) that you still will be able to customize your character in Dragon Age 2. You must be a human named Hawke (last name), you can be male or female, though. You can play as a mage, warrior or rogue.

I have hunch that the story for Hawkw actually either is the human ordinary origin story that was cancelled for the first game, or a part of the origin story for such a character.

I've always looked at the DA universe as sort of the same as the Elder Scrolls Universe (that takes place in the lands of Tamriel) in which Bioware can tell the different stories they want to tell.

And the thread is not about how sexist is it to have a guy as the marketing sign for DA2, it is about why Bioware (and EA) won't market women on the cover of the game - if they did, maybe ne more women buy games like these.