You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2010, 02:53 PM   #121
merely human

Alan Wake preview: a haunted man in an amazing game
| Ars Technica

Quote:
We have a retail, final copy of the game in our office, and I spent last night delving into the world of a writer whose imagination may be a little more powerful than he realized. We're allowed to talk about the first "episode" of the game, so let's dig into what makes this so impressive.

Wake feels like an actual person, which is a welcome change from the world of overgrown space marines. His relationship with his wife likewise looks and feels like an actual marriage. Bright Falls, with its hyper-detailed environment and realistically quirky inhabitants, complete with the with yearly "Deerfest" event coming up, feels like an actual place you might have driven past. While the voice acting can be rough in spots, overall it's much better written and acted than average. Yes, it's better than Heavy Rain, thank God.

Making an environment seem real is getting easier these days, but filling that environment with a sense of dread and foreboding is much harder. The game handles both light and dark sections with ease. Light is your weapon in Alan Wake, and things you encounter can be harmed by your flashlight... before you finish them off with your gun. The lesson is clear: the light is safe, while reality tends to slide away in the darkness.

What's impressive about the game is that the people you encounter seem like nice, down-to-Earth folks. It's a small town and everyone knows each other. But the game gives you the sense that they are not safe from whatever is going on.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 04-29-2010, 04:17 PM   #122

I want this so badly... i guess i'll go play some Max Payne and forget about this.
Old 04-30-2010, 01:13 AM   #123

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post

I want this so badly... i guess i'll go play some Max Payne and forget about this.
I still believe in a PC release.
It may take a year or two though
Memento Mori/Heavy Rain-Taxidermist
Replay: ---
Favorite Adventure: Broken Sword - Shadow of the Templars
waiting to be played: Sanitarium, Perry Rhodan, Tex Murphy FMV Series
Old 04-30-2010, 02:15 PM   #124
The Quiet One

Buy Alan Wake new and get the first piece of DLC for free.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-01-2010, 02:16 AM   #125
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Buy Alan Wake new and get the first piece of DLC for free.
Yeah I read about that earlier. Absolutely no complaints from me. Got the Collector's Edition pre-ordered.

Hmm, considering this title is to be a cinematic kind of interactive experience, I should make sure to stock up on lots of popcorn before it arrrives.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-01-2010, 04:48 AM   #126
kamikaze hummingbirds

Released in time for the Summer Holidays, i.e. XBox Time.
First of many wins.
Old 05-04-2010, 03:34 AM   #127
Life and times of...

First review I've seen (Pelit, the biggest Finnish gaming magazine), a positive one: 87/100 + recommended. Haven't properly read it yet though, but seems like it does most things well. I guess I'll be getting it at some point...

Also, seems to be quite a few Twin Peaks references
Old 05-04-2010, 04:11 AM   #128

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post

Also, seems to be quite a few Twin Peaks references
I guess Remedy are fans of the show (who isn't?). Max Payne 2 also had some references.
Old 05-04-2010, 05:12 AM   #129
Life and times of...

The flamingo TV show was awesome

Anyways, seems I was somewhat right in my fear that they've gone a tad too shooter with it, the other reviewer (a little side-box review) also says that in fact the exploration parts are the best in the game, and the fighting (that can get a little repetitive) would also be better if there were more of the calm, exploration parts... Still, both say it's an excellent game.
Old 05-05-2010, 03:10 AM   #130
The Quiet One

X360A.org review plus Achievements list.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-05-2010, 04:56 AM   #131

Seems like its getting a bit lower reviews than i expected. I think its clearly an example of too many expectations for such a long production time.

Now lets just hope it sells poorly and they release it on PC
Old 05-05-2010, 06:07 AM   #132
The Quiet One

Quote:
Seems like its getting a bit lower reviews than i expected. I think its clearly an example of too many expectations for such a long production time.
Lower? What are you talking about? Those reviews/scores look nice and healthy to me. 80 out of 100 feels about right.
Old 05-05-2010, 06:24 AM   #133

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gazzoid View Post
Lower? What are you talking about? Those reviews/scores look nice and healthy to me. 80 out of 100 feels about right.
To me its very good, but i'm not representative of how the masses think, a lot of my favourite games are in the 70's/100. But lets be realistic, Alan Wake had a budget os a AAA game. Its Microsoft's biggest bet for 2010 (alongside the new Halo) and was supposed to be their biggest GOTY challenger.

Let's not forget this is an industry too focused and manipulated by Matacritic, which has the idea that a <90/100 game is a mediocre one. Alan Wake was supposed to be bigger and better than Metro 2033 or Just Cause 2 for example (i'm talking solely about Metacritic standards).
Old 05-05-2010, 04:34 PM   #134

http://kotaku.com/5527633/alan-wake-review-transcending-its-medium

Kotaku Review.

Oh man, I might have to buy a 360 now. Not really, but dammit it needs to come out on PC! I like the reviewers Emotional Response section, really seals it for me. Exactly what I was mostly hoping for, a true cinematic experience.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:14 PM   #135

I can't believe it's coming out so soon. I'm just bummed Australia's getting it a few days after the U.S. and Europe. Means I'll have to avoid this thread or risk spoilers a-plenty.

Last edited by D.C.; 05-05-2010 at 06:54 PM.
Old 05-05-2010, 05:17 PM   #136
merely human

Thank Ganesha this is to be the last game I buy before summer. I'm soooo broke now! I don't even want to skim the news on the gaming sites for fear I might learn of a new title I must have.

Only 12 days left til Mr. Wake shows up at my front door!
Old 05-05-2010, 06:51 PM   #137

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggreen737 View Post
http://kotaku.com/5527633/alan-wake-...ing-its-medium

Kotaku Review.

Oh man, I might have to buy a 360 now. Not really, but dammit it needs to come out on PC! I like the reviewers Emotional Response section, really seals it for me. Exactly what I was mostly hoping for, a true cinematic experience.
Thats it! I need to borrow a 360, NOW! I was watching Giant Bomb's quick look and i was very impressed. Its really my kind of game
Please Remedy...
Old 05-05-2010, 07:12 PM   #138
merely human

Quote:
Thats it! I need to borrow a 360, NOW! I was watching Giant Bomb's quick look and i was very impressed. Its really my kind of game
Please Remedy...
EEP!!! NO LOOKY LOOKY! Spoilers!!!
Old 05-05-2010, 08:18 PM   #139

I'm intrigued. It seems like they really got the environment and atmosphere right in this game. I'm a bit worried about the dialogue, though. It's a bit...well, bad, unless it's intentionally ham-fisted in reference to the mystery genre? I may have to give it a look.
Old 05-05-2010, 08:33 PM   #140
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by orient View Post
I'm a bit worried about the dialogue, though. It's a bit...well, bad, unless it's intentionally ham-fisted in reference to the mystery genre? I may have to give it a look.
Hell, I'd take that over most any adventure game cutscene voice acting in the past several years!