You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-21-2010, 12:50 PM   #181
Fulci lives

Never mind, the whole thing was a misunderstanding. You can save your position on a memory card. The harddrive you need for the dlc.

Edit: Theres a funny Zork reference in episode 2. Made me laugh.

Last edited by Hamham Chan; 06-21-2010 at 01:00 PM.
Old 06-25-2010, 10:40 AM   #182
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamham Chan View Post
Edit: Theres a funny Zork reference in episode 2. Made me laugh.
That's one of the things about the game that I liked that I wasn't expecting, it's really funny.

When they were showing off this game over the years and marketing it, they kind of painted it as this mysterious, dead serious horror game when, in actuality, it's almost more of a good Summer action thriller, with a few good jumps, laughs and some thrilling set pieces. I think it would've done a lot better if they released it in July and played up the fact that it's just a fun thrillride that doesn't take itself too seriously.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-25-2010, 06:53 PM   #183

I never felt it was supposed to be an ultra serious game. From the beginning I knew it was supposed to be inspired by Twin Peaks so I was expecting a good bit of humor.

I actually enjoyed the game a good amount and it kept me hooked til I layed down the controller but it ended up being something different then I expected. I kinda wished they had just a few more day light sections in the game to flesh out the characters because the day parts ended up feeling just like transitions between the night parts which make up 90 percent of the game. They advertised it as a game that had a unique storytelling style but in the end the storytelling style is really not any different then what half-life 2 did 5 years ago. Alan wake did have atmosphere though and I did enjoy the flashlight/gun gameplay.
I would give it a 7.5/10.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.

Last edited by RxBandits123; 06-25-2010 at 07:00 PM.
Old 06-27-2010, 05:49 AM   #184
Life and times of...

Got the game last week after I saw a good deal on it (on our standards... ). Anyways, I'm enjoying it quite a bit, even though it very much needs more free exploration. Very Max Payne like though, which brings some issues of "why was this or that left out" (especially in regards to action).

Too bad I missed that Zork reference, having not played it

BTW, did you all get some kind of coupon for a free episode or something, because I saw a mention of that in an e-mail, but I don't have anything like that with it. Or is it in the manual or something?
Old 06-27-2010, 09:08 PM   #185

The coupon should just be in the box on a seperate piece of paper, maybe stacked under the manual.
Old 06-28-2010, 05:53 AM   #186
Life and times of...

Wow, so I don't have it then... Either goodbye to free DLC or maybe I should contact someone.

Or maybe do a thorough search in case it has slipped somewhere while no-one's been looking.
Old 06-28-2010, 09:36 AM   #187
The Quiet One

Did you buy it pre-owned? If so, that's why. It was announced a while back that pre-owned copies wouldn't have it.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 06-29-2010, 04:55 AM   #188
Life and times of...

No, no, quite new... And indeed I made quite a search but it's nowhere to be seen.

Unless of course I bought some stripped-down version without knowledge, which is not only unlikely, but the game also just wasn't that cheap.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:56 AM   #189
The Quiet One

Huh, that's strange. If I were you, I'd take it back to the store you bought it from and explain the situation. Try and get them to give you another copy or something...
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 07-28-2010, 05:39 PM   #190

I wasn't a huge fan of the DLC. It seemed kind of unnesessary. The game might have ended in a somewhat ambiguous way, but I prefer that kind of conclusion to the extension we're given here. I don't appreciate the fact it concludes on a cliffhanger too. It's definitely worth playing if you got it free with the game, though.
Old 07-28-2010, 10:13 PM   #191
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I absolutely loved the full game - I think it'd probably be my early choice for the game of the year if we didn't also have just slightly more brilliant stuff like Mass Effect 2 or Red Dead Redemption - so I'm surprised by how disappointed I was with this DLC. The fluid combat that required a specific timing and rhythm to pull off to perfection in the first six episodes is useless here because the stuff they throw at you is cheap and unfair, forcing you to either rely on one of the many flare guns they keep piling on you or to run to the next safe haven. I'm all for them making this harder but they've relied on the most frustrating and aritificial way of doing it, simply throwing more bad guys, annoying birds and possessed objects at you without any of the balance and polish the full game had.

Plus, as D.C. mentioned, the narrative it's telling is completely pointless. The entire Alan Wake story is based around the Stephen King quote that opens the game: "Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there is little fun to be had in explanations." Yet that's exactly what this DLC is: it exists to shed some light on the somewhat vague ending of the game, which completely goes against everything it and the rest of the game seemed to stand for.

Most people probably wouldn't be bothered by this stuff but I'm really disappointed that Remedy put out DLC that seems to go against so much of what I thought made Alan Wake so great. It's nice to have more content, but I'd much rather wait for a true sequel if future DLC is going to feel this apathetic.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 07-29-2010, 04:59 PM   #192
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
Plus, as D.C. mentioned, the narrative it's telling is completely pointless. The entire Alan Wake story is based around the Stephen King quote that opens the game: "Nightmares exist outside of logic, and there is little fun to be had in explanations." Yet that's exactly what this DLC is: it exists to shed some light on the somewhat vague ending of the game, which completely goes against everything it and the rest of the game seemed to stand for.
So what did the DLC reveal to you that you didn't already know? In my opinion The Signal didn't progress the story at all - we now know what Alan is struggling with, but that's not a big surprise. Well, maybe just that
Spoiler:
Alan is fighting with himself now instead of the dark presence.

Besides, that's how you continue a story: you shed some light on what had happened, and present the player with new questions. I personally have no complaints with how the storytelling is handled here.

But yes, I found the combat to be a little harder than usual as well, I did die a few times, but not to the point that I became frustrated. It's just that this time there is hardly anything else outside of battling the possessed - I really wish they go lighter on the fighting in the next DLC.

In any case, it's not a bad addition, but it's not as great as the main game.