You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-01-2010, 10:40 AM   #81
J.H
Frak.

I just prefer playing them on a console, knowing that I don't have to check requirements etc, pretty much safe in the knowledge that my game won't crash.
Old 01-02-2010, 05:39 AM   #82

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
I just prefer playing them on a console, knowing that I don't have to check requirements etc, pretty much safe in the knowledge that my game won't crash.
Thats a valid point, but thats not what you said a few post before, we were talking about controllers and how easy is to play. And your game can crash on a console, you can have a RROD
Old 01-02-2010, 03:07 PM   #83
J.H
Frak.

Yeah I know I didn't mean I prefer it just because of the controller it was just the one example I used. I could've been clearer.
Old 01-07-2010, 06:09 PM   #84
merely human

It's very possible to play action games on the PC. That's how it has always been for years. It really depends on how well the developers design the interface.

I've played both Max Payne games on my PC and it was elegantly done. I didn't need a controller. Both those games were from Remedy, the same good team making Alan Wake.

I've played other action games, like American McGee's Alice and Splinter Cell, without any flaws. It's simply that the developers did a good job with the interface.

If you are complaining about not being able to play an action game on the PC, are you really saying that you don't know how to play it on the PC? Or that you've played both PC and console games and merely prefer the console for action games?
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-08-2010, 09:15 AM   #85
Life and times of...

Perhaps this answers it?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJ View Post
Old 01-09-2010, 01:30 AM   #86
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
If you are complaining about not being able to play an action game on the PC, are you really saying that you don't know how to play it on the PC? Or that you've played both PC and console games and merely prefer the console for action games?
Not to mention, what sort of games he has been playing. He might just be playing games horribly ported from the consoles.

Even though Indigo Prophecy was an amazing game, it still was a less than desired console port.

Last edited by kadji-kun; 01-09-2010 at 04:53 AM.
Old 02-11-2010, 03:47 PM   #87

The release date has been revealed. May 18th in North America, May 21st in Europe.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:15 PM   #88
merely human

w00t.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-11-2010, 04:35 PM   #89

Here's the latest trailer too.

It's mostly more of the same footage we've seen previously, but as you can see it's still looking damn nice.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:47 PM   #90
Headbanger

May it is then. That hopefully gives me some time to play through some other great game that are coming out now. He he he.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:52 PM   #91
kamikaze hummingbirds

The good games come out now I'm at uni, yeah...
Old 02-12-2010, 12:38 PM   #92
merely human

So it's official. Alan Wake will [reportedly] launch on 25 May. But sadly for the PC gamers, Microsoft announced that it will be exclusively on the XBox 360 console for the time being, and for the following reason...

Microsoft cancels Alan Wake on PC | geek.com

Quote:
Alan Wake may now have a definite release date, but it also has one less platform to ship on. Microsoft has confirmed that Alan Wake is no longer being developed for a PC release.

Here’s the official statement from a Microsoft spokesperson:

Quote:
Some games are more suited for the intimacy of the PC, and others are best played from the couch in front of a larger TV screen. We ultimately realised that the most compelling way to experience “Alan Wake” was on the Xbox 360 platform, so we focused on making it an Xbox 360 exclusive. Both Microsoft and Remedy have long histories in PC game development. This decision was about matching this specific game to the right platform.
The focus had already shifted to the Xbox 360 version of the game with the PC release expected at a later date. Now it seems PC gamers are out of luck and need to buy Microsoft hardware to play it.
Here is the latest trailer for the game.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:20 PM   #93

I would've preferred to play this on PC, but it's been looking like it would be 360 exclusive for a while now.
Old 02-12-2010, 03:53 PM   #94
MoP
Comfortably Numb

That's a load of baloney right there (but popular as an excuse it seems).
'Oh well'. I guess I'll 'watch' this one on Youtube as well
Old 02-12-2010, 04:54 PM   #95
merely human

As with many things in the world, the market for certain products and services can and will change. Nothing remains stagnant, especially when it comes to technology and how it affects what we consume.

Microsoft is a huge company, to be sure, so I suspect their decision to make this game a console exclusive has something to do with how big they are. When you're that big, and when you funnel resources into such a huge project, you have that much more to risk, that much more to potentially lose. So of course you invest where your returns can be maximized.

And the console is where it's at these days compared to as recently as several years ago, when the PC market was still big.

I suspect that part of the reason they went for initial console exclusivity is to sell more consoles. It's no different from, say, Sony's PS3 being the sole platform for Heavy Rain or the Nintendo Wii being the sole console for Mario games. They must invest where the returns look to be the highest.

As well, I agree with Microsoft thinking that "...the most compelling way to experience Alan Wake was on the Xbox 360 platform." The game is meant to be highly cinematic, something more strongly expressed - and experienced - on a large, wide screen HDTV from the comfort of your sofa.

EDIT:

Forgot to add that I'm 100% supportive of launching a game on as many platforms as possible so that as many people can experience it. However, I also do understand why the developers and publishers choose to make certain games exclusive, as I stated above.

So I say to support a promising game like Alan Wake to do very well commercially and critically on the 360, because if it does do well it could pave the way for a future release on the PC, or even a port to the PS3.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 02-12-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 01:27 PM   #96

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

well thats that, i refuse to buy it now. im fighting the good fight, i dont care if you think its stupid.

edit: Interpid, I don't know about you, but playing games on my widescreen monitor only a few feet from my face with surround sound is far more immersive than sitting on my sofa fumbly playing with a gamepad that doesn't nearly serve as accurate as a mouse and keyboard combo. Gross, fail. I've been meaning to play through mass effect again, and id much prefer to play it on my PC anyday!

Last edited by Owskie; 02-13-2010 at 01:55 PM.
Old 02-13-2010, 02:28 PM   #97
merely human

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ZQFwhS1njM

Just watched the trailers again. Seriously looking forward to the game's launch.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:19 PM   #98

I think the thing that excites me most about the trailer is still the setting. The fly over of the mountains, the creepy small town vibe. I can't wait to go exploring. Oh, plus the mystery too. Obviously.
Old 02-13-2010, 03:47 PM   #99
merely human

I look forward to the suspense.
Old 02-17-2010, 07:56 AM   #100

the microsoft excuse is obvious bs. i think this game is just supposed to be xbox's answer to heavy rain.

on a side note: my favorite bs developer justification is from the game trespasser where the question was asked why you cant "dig" in the game using a shovel. the dev said "we could have done that, but if we did, someone would have tried to dig up the whole island." umm... yeah...