You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2010, 10:51 PM   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Hell, I'd take that over most any adventure game cutscene voice acting in the past several years!
Ha, quite true.

Don't get me wrong, the voice acting sounds great. It's the lines (and lip syncing) that seem a little weird.

"In a horror story, the victim keeps asking why, but there can be no explanation, and there shouldn't be one...the unanswered mystery is what stays with us the longest."

Thanks for that obvious piece of deconstruction, Alan lol. There was another line about someone knocking a door down, "just like Nicholson in The Shining" lol. I supposed it's funny.
Old 05-05-2010, 11:14 PM   #142
merely human

LOL, I think Sam Lake had trouble shaking Max Payne out of his system while writing for Alan Wake.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-05-2010, 11:31 PM   #143

There's something endearing about that dialogue, especially the first quote -- kind of Rod Serling-esque.
Old 05-06-2010, 12:46 AM   #144

I think that's definitely what they're going for.
Old 05-06-2010, 06:47 PM   #145

Have you guys watched Bright Falls, the prequel series to Alan Wake?

These webisodes specifically remind me of an old school FMV game.
Old 05-06-2010, 08:20 PM   #146
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
Have you guys watched Bright Falls, the prequel series to Alan Wake?
Yeah. Saw it on XBL. Watching it in HD on a big screen is awesome! Beautiful photography.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-06-2010, 11:58 PM   #147

I particularly like the attention to detail on the Alan's Story portion of the Bright Falls site. Excerpts from newspaper and forum posts. Text messages from his editor. Little pieces that only serve to further develop Alan's character. Saying I can't wait for this game would be an understatement.
Old 05-07-2010, 03:22 AM   #148
J.H
Frak.

Is this only out on Xbox?
Old 05-08-2010, 03:22 PM   #149

Yeah, it's currently a 360 exclusive. It was originally supposed to come out on the PC as well, but that version was cancelled earlier this year.
Old 05-08-2010, 03:42 PM   #150
merely human

Yep. Alan Wake is to XBox what Heavy Rain is to the PS3.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:38 PM   #151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Yep. Alan Wake is to XBox what Heavy Rain is to the PS3.
Alan Wake is more Uncharted than Heavy Rain.
Old 05-08-2010, 06:44 PM   #152
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Alan Wake is more Uncharted than Heavy Rain.
I meant in terms of exclusivity to one platform.
Old 05-09-2010, 09:13 AM   #153

yeah I agree that it seems to have turned out more like uncharted then heavy rain....which is not a negative i suppose. But this game has seemed to change a lot over its development. I mean I thought it would have a small element of adventure in it (and maybe it does) but every review I have read only talks about the combat mechanics with the light and that it has strong atmosphere.

I was hoping this game would be really unique but now it sounds just like silent hill with a hint of resident evil. Im still interested in playing this game and looking forward to it but alot of the elements that drew me to the game in the first place seem to have disappeared. And a lot of the dialogue makes the game seem like max payne in the dark.

Recently finished or playing: Sam and Max episode 2, Red Dead Redemption, Alan Wake, Fallout 3, Alpha Protocal.
Old 05-09-2010, 04:53 PM   #154

Quote:
Originally Posted by RxBandits123 View Post
And a lot of the dialogue makes the game seem like max payne in the dark.
And thats a good thing Max Payne is great.

Personally i wasn't expecting an adventure orientated game, Remedy strong points are the shooting mechanics and action sequences. Sure, Sam Lake is a good writer and narrative is very important in Max Payne, but thats not gameplay.
Old 05-10-2010, 06:51 AM   #155
Life and times of...

As I've said a couple times () I was one of those waiting for something a tad more adventurous, it was greatly Twin Peaks inspired after all, and Twin Peaks is certainly not about action. Of course in continuation, the more info we got from the game, the more worried I was that in fact this would not be the case and it seems I was indeed right. Still, probably a great game, but I'm guessing it could've been even greater... Maybe they'll learn in the sequel (or the DLC episoded) though?

Also, I'm still not fully oriented to the fact that Sami Järvi is now always called Sam Lake...
Old 05-10-2010, 02:39 PM   #156
Welsh Dude

I haven't played it yet but it looks kinda disappointing to me. They've spent so long developing it that they've missed the boat and the game looks a bit dated to me in terms of gameplay. The atmosphere looks spot on but the action sequences take me off it. Wish it had more emphasis on survival horror.

I doubt I'll buy it but it'll definitely be going on my Lovefilm rent list.
Old 05-10-2010, 09:14 PM   #157
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

If all goes well, I should hopefully have my copy of Alan Wake by Friday. I've been waiting for this game for 5 years (!) so it's almost hard to believe that I'll actually have it in my hands in just a few days. That being said, I might have to rush through it quickly, because once I get Red Dead Redemption I don't think I'll be playing anything else for a very long time.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 05-10-2010, 09:16 PM   #158

I'm going to forget Red Dead Redemption exists until AFTER I play Alan Wake. No way am I gonna rush through this game, damn it! Both games aren't released until late next week in Australia.
Old 05-11-2010, 10:19 AM   #159
The Quiet One

Although I'm not into Westerns, I think I might pick up Red Dead Redemption. It is, after all, done by Rockstar who make very satisfying and entertaining adult games. Plus the gameplay will be similar to GTA apparently.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-13-2010, 06:46 PM   #160

The first piece of Alan Wake DLC will be released on July 27, according to Kotaku. It's called The Signal. There's no detail on what it's going to be about, which is probably a good thing considering the game hasn't been released yet. It's free for anyone who buys the game new.