You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-14-2010, 02:38 AM   #161
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
The first piece of Alan Wake DLC will be released on July 27, according to Kotaku. It's called The Signal. There's no detail on what it's going to be about, which is probably a good thing considering the game hasn't been released yet. It's free for anyone who buys the game new.
I really hope it isn't going to be a new fancy signal flare gun, but rather a whole episode.
Old 05-14-2010, 05:04 AM   #162
kamikaze hummingbirds

I'd probably rather the game didn't depend on the continual release of DLCs, to be honest... the episodic format really isn't that great, in my opinion.
Old 05-14-2010, 06:58 AM   #163
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
I'd probably rather the game didn't depend on the continual release of DLCs, to be honest... the episodic format really isn't that great, in my opinion.
For this game, the format is great. It really feels like a thriller TV show that makes you want more after each episode.
Old 05-14-2010, 07:17 AM   #164
kamikaze hummingbirds

Yeah, but the main worry is that it would be like the Half-Life 2 episodes... designed to limit delays, and failing completely.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:15 AM   #165
In an evening of July...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hammerite View Post
Yeah, but the main worry is that it would be like the Half-Life 2 episodes... designed to limit delays, and failing completely.
You think if HL2 wasn't episodic, we would have seen more of the Half Life universe? I highly doubt that.
Old 05-14-2010, 09:26 AM   #166
kamikaze hummingbirds

Fair dues, mate, fair dues.
Old 05-14-2010, 01:53 PM   #167
merely human

All six episodes of Bright Falls now available online | Joystiq

Quote:
If you're hoping to get acquainted with the world of Alan Wake before the game's extremely imminent release, you may want to watch the six-part mini-series Bright Falls, all of which is now available on Machinima's YouTube channel. Regardless of whether or not you understand a lick of what transpires during the Twin Peaks-esque series, it's still a really well-made tie-in, and gives a great sense of the unsettling environments the titular Wake will be exploring.

If you want more information about Bright Falls after viewing the series, we suggest checking out our interview with co-writer and director Phillip Van.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-14-2010, 02:00 PM   #168
MoP
Comfortably Numb

Weird, they're available on YouTube before the brightfalls.com site?
Old 05-15-2010, 01:49 PM   #169
In an evening of July...

I've finished Alan Wake, and I must say, it's one of those few games that have really impressed me.

First of all, if you are a Stephen King and/or Twin Peaks fan, don't look at reviews. Just buy it. It feels like a book, like a really well made TV show at times, and every detail has been given a lot of attention. But what really makes it unique is its atmosphere: it's so dense you can almost touch it; I felt like I was visiting twin peaks - the visuals, the people, Wake himself, they all felt so real.

Yes, there is combat, and lots of it. Yes, it might get tiresome. It's not bad though, and it is well implemented. Yes, I might have enjoyed more exploring - but I haven't been following the game since it has been announced, so I didn't have any expectations. Having found out just now that it was supposed to become an open world game, I'm not sure they could have made it as thrilling as it is now. I felt like I was reading early King, and I love early King - his style, his stories, everything about it. And not many games made me feel like that.

Overall, I feel that it is an adventure in the true sense of the word: a great, thrilling, twisted story, an unresolved mystery, a strong lead. And if I didn't have to combine any cats with cell phones - maybe it's for the best.
Old 05-15-2010, 08:18 PM   #170

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuze View Post
I've finished Alan Wake, and I must say, it's one of those few games that have really impressed me.

First of all, if you are a Stephen King and/or Twin Peaks fan, don't look at reviews. Just buy it. It feels like a book, like a really well made TV show at times, and every detail has been given a lot of attention. But what really makes it unique is its atmosphere: it's so dense you can almost touch it; I felt like I was visiting twin peaks - the visuals, the people, Wake himself, they all felt so real.

Yes, there is combat, and lots of it. Yes, it might get tiresome. It's not bad though, and it is well implemented. Yes, I might have enjoyed more exploring - but I haven't been following the game since it has been announced, so I didn't have any expectations. Having found out just now that it was supposed to become an open world game, I'm not sure they could have made it as thrilling as it is now. I felt like I was reading early King, and I love early King - his style, his stories, everything about it. And not many games made me feel like that.

Overall, I feel that it is an adventure in the true sense of the word: a great, thrilling, twisted story, an unresolved mystery, a strong lead. And if I didn't have to combine any cats with cell phones - maybe it's for the best.
Haha, great stuff! From everything I've heard it sounds like it turned out to be 95% of what I wanted, now I just need to play it. Thanks for the review.
Old 05-17-2010, 01:55 PM   #171
merely human

Quote:
Greetings from Amazon.com.

We thought you'd like to know that we shipped your items, and that this
completes your order:

1 Alan Wake: Limited Edition
It'll be at my doorstep tomorrow, which is N/A release date.

And I still hadn't finished Splinter Cell: Conviction and Heavy Rain yet.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #172
The Quiet One

I got it last Thursday and I've been taking my time with it. I think I'm working my way from the mines in Episode 3. I like how it's done in episodes.

I'm liking the game. The story is interesting to follow, it's atmospheric, there are loads of collectables to find and a detailed and creepy world (or should I say, forests) to explore. Forget Barrow Hill's woods, head to Bright Falls'...

The combat is alright, but the dodge mechanic can be a bit irritating at times. Timing it just right isn't really the problem, it's being whacked by the Taken when you can't see them or when you're trying to do something. And I find the voice acting to range from good to above-average. I certainly haven't been feeling any emotional connection to the characters so far.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-18-2010, 11:22 PM   #173

I've played three episodes now. Somehow I feel like this game doesn't use the amazing gameworld of Bright Falls as well as it could. Bright Falls is such an atmospheric town and the whole area has lots of potential, but the gameplay is mostly running and shooting stuff in forest at night time. The daytime play is probably only about 5-10%. I think 50/50 ratio would have been so much better, 50% of exploring during daytime, and 50% of fighting/shooting at night time.
Old 05-19-2010, 07:36 PM   #174

I've been playing Alan Wake for a couple of hours now. This game is exceptional. I love the atmosphere and the mystery. I love the episodic structure. I love the creepy small town vibe. It's more than lived up to my expectations so far. There's definately a Stephen King vibe here too.

I'm going to take my time playing through -- savour the awesomeness and all that.
Old 05-25-2010, 10:15 AM   #175
The Quiet One

Looks like a novel adaption is being done.
Now Playing: Broken Sword: Shadow of the Templars - The Director's Cut (DS and iPhone), DOOM 3: Resurrection of Evil, Hotel Dusk: Room 215, Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney Justice for All, Silent Hill - HD Collection
Recently Completed: Max Payne, Max Payne 2: The Fall of Max Payne
Next: Bayonetta, Devil May Cry - HD Collection, Max Payne 3, Metal Gear Solid - HD Collection, Silent Hill: Downpour
Old 05-28-2010, 01:11 PM   #176
Psychonaut

Finished it. http://www.adventuregamers.com/forum...postcount=1293

It's a shame it had so much potential. I guess there were too many cool ideas and promises along the way that the bog standard shoot em up that we got was dissapointing.
Old 06-05-2010, 10:08 PM   #177
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I'm finally getting around to playing this and I'm loving it. I really wasn't expecting to like the action stuff as much as I am but I think Remedy nailed it, there's a certain rhythm to the fights that I love where you have to time your dodges, flashlight, flares and bullets perfectly in order to effeciently survive wave after wave of attackers. I highly recommend that anyone who is going to play this to play it on Nightmare, the hardest difficulty. That's the best way to enjoy the combat because it forces you to master the rhythm and timing and adds a real sense of tension to each fight. Play on a lower difficulty and you're not really getting the full experience of the combat, which is a shame because it makes up about 90% of the game.

The other 10% of the game feels a bit off. The open world elements that were originally in the game were taken out, so all of the daytime portions of the game feel a bit gutted. It's clear at one time you were supposed to drive to all the locations you visit (pretty much every cutscene ends with a car pulling up or driving off) so all the locations they warp you to are usually linear to a fault. Playing the game, it's clear why they took them out - it would've been absolutely dull to drive around this beautiful but empty world - but it still feels a little rough because there are still traces of it left in.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-06-2010, 12:54 AM   #178
Life and times of...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamandMax View Post
it would've been absolutely dull to drive around this beautiful but empty world.
Some people like that sort of thing though (like me, to a certain extent)
Old 06-07-2010, 08:25 PM   #179
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

Quote:
Originally Posted by UPtimist View Post
Some people like that sort of thing though (like me, to a certain extent)
I love that sort of thing too, and I was disappointed when they said that they had removed the open world stuff last year, but I really, really think they made the right choice in cutting it out. Alan Wake is an action game at heart (probably more than we expected/hoped), and unless the open world can keep the pace up or provide it's own thrills, it'd just be one long loading screen as you drove from level to level.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 06-20-2010, 10:32 AM   #180
Fulci lives

I heard somewhere that when you save your game, you can't use a memory card, is this true?
I hope not cause I have a regular X-box without a harddrive. '