You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2010, 07:58 AM   #101

Quote:
Originally Posted by Owskie View Post
well thats that, i refuse to buy it now. im fighting the good fight, i dont care if you think its stupid.
if you own an xbox i think its "stupid" if you wanna call it that but if you're like me, who doesnt own one, im not going to buy an xbox just for this game. i DID buy a ps3 just for little big planet though, and thankfully i get to play heavy rain now too
Old 02-17-2010, 03:05 PM   #102
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
the microsoft excuse is obvious bs. i think this game is just supposed to be xbox's answer to heavy rain.

on a side note: my favorite bs developer justification is from the game trespasser where the question was asked why you cant "dig" in the game using a shovel. the dev said "we could have done that, but if we did, someone would have tried to dig up the whole island." umm... yeah...
You can complain all you want, but the final decision really is Microsoft's, regardless of gamers' sense of entitlement (thinking they could have anything they want), just as Quantum Dream's David Cage and Sony decided to have Heavy Rain be exclusive to the PS3. You don't hear me complaining about that.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-18-2010, 07:39 AM   #103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
You can complain all you want, but the final decision really is Microsoft's, regardless of gamers' sense of entitlement (thinking they could have anything they want), just as Quantum Dream's David Cage and Sony decided to have Heavy Rain be exclusive to the PS3. You don't hear me complaining about that.
Alan Wake's case is different. The question is not the comercial decisions made by Microsoft, they are the right ones for them. The uproar is a cause solely based on Remedy's behaviour. Inicially it was going to be for PC, then multiplatform, and then just half a year before release they say there's no PC version. And they used the most retarded excuse ever, insulting and treating all PC gamers as stupids. We all know the real reason. It's a matter of trust and lie. I understand Microsoft, but i expected a different behaviour from Remedy, cheating and lieing is not the best way to interact with your fanbase, hope it doen't (well... as a matter of fact i really do) bite them back in the future.

Games like God of War, Heavy Rain, GT and so on were not supposed to be on the PC, they didn't promissed us nothing and didn't lie to us. Remedy did.

I think its perfectly normal and i understand that all ex-Remedy fans have the need to vent their frustrations. Gaming is just a luxury hobby but even in such superficial things its always hard to be decieved, insulted and cheated.
Old 02-18-2010, 02:02 PM   #104
merely human

If that's how you feel about it then you can always not buy the game.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-18-2010, 02:51 PM   #105

Microsoft has released the box art. Any one even remotely familiar with the promotional material won't be all that surprised. I like it, though. Understated and solid.
Old 02-18-2010, 05:36 PM   #106
merely human

Alan Wake rated Teen, five minutes of footage illuminated | Joystiq

Quote:
New footage of Remedy's upcoming mystery thriller Alan Wake has found its way online, showcasing some of the demonic thoughts scrawled on paper by the game's title character. Five minutes of footage found at French site GameBlog.fr (posted after the break) showcases some gorgeous environments and some of the action we experienced at Microsoft's X10.
The video is a montage of stunning views of Bright Falls before switching to suspenseful sequences at night. The orchestral score is quite pretty. Don't watch if you want to avoid light spoilers.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 02-18-2010 at 05:43 PM.
Old 02-18-2010, 06:29 PM   #107

Quote:
If that's how you feel about it then you can always not buy the game.
Well i'm forced not to buy it. I dont have a 360
Old 02-18-2010, 06:53 PM   #108
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Well i'm forced not to buy it. I dont have a 360
You could wait it out. If the game is a commercial and critical success chances are there may be PC port.
Old 02-18-2010, 07:55 PM   #109
A Slice of Fried Gold

Send a message via MSN to SamandMax Send a message via Yahoo to SamandMax

I've been waiting for this game for at least 4 years now so I really want it to be great but I'm still not completely confident that it'll end up as good as I want it to be. I'm worried that the removal of the open world mechanic to give it a more episodic feel might hinder more than it helps, as it could gut a lot of the slower paced, exposition-based stuff and just throw you straight into the action faster instead. And while the action itself looks fun, I do think that the shine-the-flaslight-then-shoot stuff it seems to mainly consist of could get repetitive awfully quick. Of course, this is all speculation, and I do hope that Remedy can deliver on the great suspense thriller I've been waiting such a long time to play.

Bruce Springsteen - Wrecking Ball
They Might Be Giants - Dog Walker
The Kinks - Money Talks
Gorillaz - DoYaThing
Old 02-20-2010, 01:02 PM   #110

Quote:
Originally Posted by tastebud View Post
the microsoft excuse is obvious bs.
Yeah I totally agree with you 100%.

Which brings me to the following link below that explains better why Alan Wake is no longer being released for the PC: Remedy cites small development team as cause for cancellation. However, having read this makes me wonder why after all these years in development, they only now announce the PC version's cancellation so close to the release date....

http://www.shacknews.com/onearticle.x/62441

I was looking forward to the PC version knowing that it'll look so much better than its 360 counterpart and imho play better too. (I have both the 360 and PC version of Mass Effect 2 --- handsdown, gameplay mechanics and graphics are far more superior on the latter platform.)

Last edited by jedicri; 02-20-2010 at 01:13 PM.
Old 02-20-2010, 04:45 PM   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Alan Wake's case is different. The question is not the comercial decisions made by Microsoft, they are the right ones for them. The uproar is a cause solely based on Remedy's behaviour. Inicially it was going to be for PC, then multiplatform, and then just half a year before release they say there's no PC version. And they used the most retarded excuse ever, insulting and treating all PC gamers as stupids. We all know the real reason. It's a matter of trust and lie. I understand Microsoft, but i expected a different behaviour from Remedy, cheating and lieing is not the best way to interact with your fanbase, hope it doen't (well... as a matter of fact i really do) bite them back in the future.
You do understand that Remedy probably has very little say in what platforms the game will be released, don't you? If I'd have to guess it has been Microsoft who actually calls the shots ever since Remedy signed a deal to develop the game for MS platforms. The only thing you could be angry for Remedy is that they decided to go with MS, but I'm not sure they could've created the game in the first place without Microsoft's money.
Old 02-20-2010, 07:04 PM   #112
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linque View Post
You do understand that Remedy probably has very little say in what platforms the game will be released, don't you? If I'd have to guess it has been Microsoft who actually calls the shots ever since Remedy signed a deal to develop the game for MS platforms. The only thing you could be angry for Remedy is that they decided to go with MS, but I'm not sure they could've created the game in the first place without Microsoft's money.
Do you think Sony would've wanted to give Remedy money to work on the game, like they did with Quantum Dream for Heavy Rain?
Old 02-21-2010, 03:07 PM   #113
Under pressure.

Ironic how this game was marketed by Microsoft to be THE benchmark for Direct-X 10. THE reason to leave Windows XP and switch to Vista. Oh well. I'll have to forget about this game. Too bad.
Old 02-21-2010, 05:24 PM   #114

Send a message via ICQ to Owskie Send a message via AIM to Owskie Send a message via MSN to Owskie Send a message via Yahoo to Owskie

Quote:
Do you think Sony would've wanted to give Remedy money to work on the game, like they did with Quantum Dream for Heavy Rain?
I do, but without being Sony, its just speculation.
Old 02-22-2010, 12:55 AM   #115

Quote:
No idea. Probably. After all this is a title any platform would be happy to have. After the success of Max Paynes I would be kind of surprised if Remedy really had to work that hard to generate interest from publishers. Then again, I'm not that familiar with how the business works behind the scenes. I might not the right person to ask.
Old 02-22-2010, 01:31 AM   #116

As far as the PC release is concerned, maybe there's still hope - please read the reply from a Remedy representative in this topic:
http://forum.alanwake.com/showpost.p...&postcount=869

It's pretty obvious they have their hands tied, keeping AW exclusive is in Microsoft's interest.
Old 03-09-2010, 09:33 AM   #117

I've had this game on PC pre-order from GAME for what must be like 2-3 years they cancelled my order last week, pretty dissapointed the PC version has been shelved, and i dont have/gonna buy a console to play it, plenty more games in the sea
Old 03-09-2010, 01:08 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niko View Post
I've had this game on PC pre-order from GAME for what must be like 2-3 years they cancelled my order last week, pretty dissapointed the PC version has been shelved, and i dont have/gonna buy a console to play it, plenty more games in the sea
Don't loose your hope, we are all still hoping for something special. I think the Remedy guys will manage to change Microsoft plans.
Old 04-15-2010, 09:32 AM   #119
In an evening of July...

Gamestar.de has just released the first ten minutes of Alan Wake as a video (in German).

I admit I have mixed feelings about it, mostly negative though. Mixing a suspenseful nightmare with a tutorial is the most horrible idea ever - the immersion was constantly interrupted by hints and helpscreens; the voice acting is terrible (granted, most German dubs are); the gameplay, at least the shooting part looks like it's going to get repetitive very soon. And I very much hope that the levels other than those from the tutorial aren't as tube-like as in the video.

On the other hand, it's pretty and stylish and seems to have adventure elements and exploring in it (as hinted in the video).

Last edited by kuze; 04-15-2010 at 10:18 AM.
Old 04-15-2010, 10:14 AM   #120
Life and times of...

What I'm concerned, as was a reporter (or whatever) from the biggest Finnish gaming magazine, is that they've gone too shooter with it. Just like you said, it'll probably get repetitive quite soon and besides, I'm not looking for a shooter, but a story-driven game. With only enough action to spice things up, not so that it's the main point.

Also, I don't really like the realism in shooters. I don't crave realistic violence. I don't even like playing Far Cry 2 and Assassin's Creed 2 was quite on the edge, though luckily you don't have to kill most of your opponents. And in AW I understand you'll mainly be shooting people.

Why everyone is always so excited about realistic deaths and as much blood as possible is beyond me. I would've played AC2 on no blood had it not looked so silly (like "you're really bruised up" when his face hasn't got a scar on it). Take the humanity away from the enemies, please!

But anyways, I'm getting side-tracked... Umm... Yeah, here's hoping that they haven't gone too far down the action-road. I've been expecting a moody exploration-thriller for so long that I'm currently preparing for a rather large disappointment in that area.