You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Gaming General Alan Wake (AWAKE) Thread...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-03-2009, 05:24 PM   #41

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
The concept vaguely reminds me of Stephen King's Secret Window. There's most definitely a King vibe here too...
True, writer in the woods, kills his wife....

Dreamcatcher got the idea in my head more feeding off the specifics I guess.

Now someone needs to make an episodic dark western sci-fi with a Roland-like character
Old 06-03-2009, 05:27 PM   #42

The Stephen King comparison is most definitely a complement, just so you know. I've been waiting for an awesome Stephen King-like game for years!
Old 06-03-2009, 08:41 PM   #43

Hell yeah, with all the King movies being made for years, you would think the game devs. would eventually get around to realizing his material is prime for some awesome games!

Many movie companies have signed on for Stephen King movies (my favorite probably being Hearts in Atlantis) and have done amazingly well. It's great to see a gaming company finally do it.
Old 06-05-2009, 08:34 PM   #44

Yeah the game was finally shown at this year's E3 and it was my favorite during the entire show .
Old 06-07-2009, 04:31 PM   #45
merely human

For X360 owners the HD version of the official trailer is now available on XBL. Download and watch on your big HDTV.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 06-08-2009, 07:08 PM   #46

I think I've watched that thing about a hundred times now, maybe I should stop before the anticipation kills me.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:27 PM   #47

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.C. View Post
I think I've watched that thing about a hundred times now, maybe I should stop before the anticipation kills me.
Agreed. No more trailer for me for sure. I just have to sit on my hands for a while
Old 07-10-2009, 04:53 PM   #48
merely human

Alan Wake: definitely coming to the 360, maybe not the PC | Ars Technica

Quote:
Speaking to Edge Magazine, Sam Lake, the game's lead writer, revealed that Remedy Entertainment is fully focused on getting the game finished in time for its Spring 2010 release date. However, it doesn't sound like a game for Windows is currently a priority for the developer. "We are fully concentrated on the Xbox 360 version," he said in the interview. "Other than that the plans are up in the air and open. Once we get this version done we’ll see."

When Edge asked Lake specifically about a PC version, he responded in as noncommittal a way as possible. "As I said, the plans are open, and once we’re done with the 360 version we’ll evaluate the situation and see what makes sense."
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 07-10-2009, 05:14 PM   #49

That really pisses me off. A game originally for PC, made by PC developers, now completely "consolified" with Microsoft money, and their desperate need for an exclusive. There are even rumours that they had to change a lot of the open world mechanic to be able to run well on the console. Such a shame. Oh well... thats the way the industry works nowadays, not even Remedy is a safe bet.
Old 07-10-2009, 10:23 PM   #50
Banned User

Okay, this pisses me off. No PC? They lost me there. I'm officially pissed off.

Whats funny is that they usually never keep it Steam exclusive when they sell on the PC. They wonder why people pirate it. Its because your making it too accessible to hackers. Not to mention, they include hardware corrupting DRM and still release it on Steam....days or weeks after its PC release. Where is the logic in all of this?

I officially dislike Remedy.
Old 07-11-2009, 12:29 AM   #51

WAT?

I need to buy PS3 for Heavy Rain and now I'll need to buy 360 for Alan Wake?

No thanx..
Old 07-11-2009, 12:39 AM   #52

Oh, man. That sucks. I'd be even more pissed if I didn't have an xbox! Hopefully they'll come around.
Old 07-11-2009, 02:02 AM   #53
Banned User

First of all, Alan Wake sold me on Direct X 10. So I guess they want to cop out on the groundbreaking visuals of the game for a crappy console? Pathetic.

Heavy Rain from the very beginning told us it was going to be PS3 only. Alan Wake on the other hand said they were going to treat the PC gamers like kings....then pull the rug underneath us. Thats a low blow I think.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:38 AM   #54

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

Looks good but the plot reminds me an awful lot of The Secret Window.

[EDIT] or what that film would have been like if they had a far bigger bidget.
Old 07-11-2009, 09:53 AM   #55
Banned User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marduk View Post
Looks good but the plot reminds me an awful lot of The Secret Window.

[EDIT] or what that film would have been like if they had a far bigger bidget.
The only similarity is a Writer, psychological plot tools and a mountain range. Its like saying 30 days of Night is a lot like "At the Mountains of Madness" because the film is set in the northern hemisphere, snow and has unusual creatures.
Old 07-11-2009, 10:46 AM   #56

Location: You want to know where I live? Are you some kind of stalker?
Send a message via MSN to Marduk Send a message via Yahoo to Marduk

I never said they were exactly alike, what i said was "the plot reminds me an awful lot...."

I was thinking about the memory loss, the book he didn't remember writing that seemed to be "coming to life" and the fact that his wife had gone missing. I never said they looked the same, I was trying to say they 'sound' the same, if you catch my meaning.
Old 07-11-2009, 03:09 PM   #57
merely human

Well, Sam Lake did state that they'll see what they can do about a PC version after the release for the 360. It's not like they said "absolutely never".

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
That really pisses me off. A game originally for PC, made by PC developers, now completely "consolified" with Microsoft money, and their desperate need for an exclusive. There are even rumours that they had to change a lot of the open world mechanic to be able to run well on the console. Such a shame. Oh well... thats the way the industry works nowadays, not even Remedy is a safe bet.
I feel your pain. However, it being originally a PC release shouldn't necessarily be a justification for including a PC version, at least according to the decisions at Remedy and Microsoft. They make their decisions on things like fiscal viability and other technicalities.

Remember, the games industry is a business. I'm thinking this game is costing several millions if not tens of millions to produce. Even if we think it doesn't cost that much to port to PC, we still need to consider logistics like cost of physical packaging and marketing, which adds to the already huge budget for this game.

The biggest install base is the Xbox according to Microsoft, who is funding the game and publishing it, not according to the game's fans, and hopefully the game will do impressively enough to merit a PC port after its release on the console.
Old 07-11-2009, 04:54 PM   #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Even if we think it doesn't cost that much to port to PC
The sad part is that Alan Wake was originally built on PC and then they would port it to the 360, not the other way around. They had a pretty big and impressive PC built demo on 2006, when they show it on IDF. They even had a partnership with Intel showcasing Quad Cores potencial. Its pretty obvious to me that all those years have been spent rewriting and rebuilding the game to please Micrsoft wishes and 360's limitations.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
The biggest install base is the Xbox according to Microsoft, who is funding the game and publishing it, not according to the game's fans, and hopefully the game will do impressively enough to merit a PC port after its release on the console.
Microsoft doesn't care who has the biggest install base. Their goal is not selling games, but consoles, and its the exclusives that sells them. And Alan Wake is just that, a tool for Microsoft to sell a few more millions of 360's

Anyway, i completely understand Microsoft position, they have to sell consoles and they dont give a damn to the PC gaming market. They are in their right, and i would probably do the same thing if i were in their place. Also i understand Remedy's position, they needed the money and are now completely dependent on microsoft, but its just disapointing. Most of the people that suported Remedy and made them what they are now are that community builted around Max Payne, and that community is almost exclusively PC orientated. Its just too much seeing a company like Remedy turn their backs on that loyal fanbase. If we take a look on their forums its obvious that a lot of people are disapointed by this situation.

Anyway, good luck to Remedy, i hope AW is as good as it looks and i hope i get the chance to play it eventually... on PC.
Old 07-11-2009, 08:21 PM   #59
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roper Klacks View Post
Anyway, i completely understand Microsoft position, they have to sell consoles and they dont give a damn to the PC gaming market. They are in their right, and i would probably do the same thing if i were in their place. Also i understand Remedy's position, they needed the money and are now completely dependent on microsoft, but its just disapointing. Most of the people that suported Remedy and made them what they are now are that community builted around Max Payne, and that community is almost exclusively PC orientated. Its just too much seeing a company like Remedy turn their backs on that loyal fanbase. If we take a look on their forums its obvious that a lot of people are disapointed by this situation.

Anyway, good luck to Remedy, i hope AW is as good as it looks and i hope i get the chance to play it eventually... on PC.
And that's the reality. For a better chance for Alan Wake to be ported to PC (and most likely optimized for PC with features beyond the console version), PC gamers need to root for a commercially successful console version of the game, instead of grieving over it and crying that Microsoft and Remedy abandoned them. Doesn't that make more sense?
Old 07-11-2009, 09:36 PM   #60
Banned User

Its going to be released onto the PC, then we discover that its a consolized buggy piece of crap...