You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2006, 06:19 AM   #81
gin soaked boy

I won't be able to afford an Xbox 360 anytime soon as well. But I'll be even less able to afford the kind of ninja PC needed to run the potential port.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:28 AM   #82
is not wierd

Yea, I'm not sure if I want to spend my efforts on getting a 360 or a killer PC. I need to look into the exclusives for the Xbox (and a lot of their good games are both for 360 and PC) and the PC.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:51 AM   #83
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak
and a lot of their good games are both for 360 and PC
That's true. It would be kinda nice to have both. And a Wii. And maybe even a PS3. And a lot of free time.
Old 05-26-2006, 07:26 AM   #84

oerhort, in brief, 'no'.
£400 for a console will buy me new ram and a graphics card. And consoles, next gen or not, don't hold a candle to PCs IMO. I mean, thinking of the amount of things I use my PC for, I can't justify NOT keeping an up to date PC =)

Sure, the 360 has Oblivion, but it's only half the experience compared to the PC version. Even on my non-elite PC it looked better than the 360 version due to me being able to tweek the ini files, high res landscape texture patches, better water patches, etc, etc.

Between myself, my wife and my kids, we have all the consoles except the 360. I've tried console gaming and on the whole it's just not the same. I found Halo to be just plain awful on every level. I was excited by Fable, until I actually got to play it and found that very shallow and simple. The most used consoles in our house are my kids DS's.
Old 05-26-2006, 08:49 AM   #85
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinking_dylan
oerhort, in brief, 'no'.
£400 for a console will buy me new ram and a graphics card. And consoles, next gen or not, don't hold a candle to PCs IMO. I mean, thinking of the amount of things I use my PC for, I can't justify NOT keeping an up to date PC =)
Just say it doesn't work for you personally and your lifestyle and needs.

For me I'm perfectly happy with my 360. I'm poor these days so it's a wise investment because I'll have it for the next 5 years and I needn't worry about stupid things like graphics cards and PhysX and new motherboards and all that crap, which would end up costing me a lot more than the $400 I spent for the console. Also I need a break from worrying about upgrading and whether my PC is up to date, etc. I'm just sick of that, really. I'm happy with my current HP Compaq laptop, it's fine for what I need, which is NOT necessarily gaming. Instead, I use it for typical PC stuff - writing, researching, organizing, email, browsing, etc.

So as far as feeling I'm missing out on PC games, screw that. I don't need the hassle at this point in my life and would just rather pop in a game in the console and chill into Oblivion or whatever game I have for a few hours.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-26-2006, 11:26 AM   #86

But anyone who would like to upgrade to Vista (and most people want, I think) will probably have to send a lot of cash... even for reading the mail.

Back to Mass Effect, it's looking good, but what's up with the combat? the descriptions I've read make it look boring...
Old 05-26-2006, 04:25 PM   #87
is not wierd

Can you provide a link about the combat system? It seems like I read an article that made me think it'd be more or less like BioWare proven combat system with the real-time with the ability to pause to make tactical decisions. I don't know for sure though.
Old 05-26-2006, 06:00 PM   #88

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/rpg/...&mode=previews

Gamespot preview makes its sound like some kind of tactical shooter.

And here are Tycho's thoughts on it:

http://www.penny-arcade.com/2006/05/24
Old 05-26-2006, 09:52 PM   #89
is not wierd

I still think it's basically a new form of the same BioWare combat system (this "squad mode" doesn't sound any different from the usual pausing mechanic). The fact that it works like a hybrid-shooter now actually seems like fun.
Old 05-26-2006, 10:03 PM   #90
merely human

I like this shot, makes me feel the otherworldliness of the gameworld, how distant it all is and how I'm so far away from home.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 05-26-2006, 10:41 PM   #91
Homer of Kittens

This game makes making out with a fish chick look normal Damn you Bioware Doctors for including hot fish chicks in your games.

Firefox rules
Old 05-26-2006, 10:50 PM   #92
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinking_dylan
oerhort, in brief, 'no'.
I would have agreed with you one and a half years ago, but after buying my PS2, my perspective in gaming has changed. I have played some PS2 games that are not available on the PC, and some rank high up there with my favorite PC games.

Let's face it, PC gaming has seen better days, and it is the developer's 3rd (in some cases 4th) platform of choice. There are exceptions like Oblivion of course, but in most cases, the PC is getting the short end of the stick with shady ports with clunky controls.

There are still definitely a lot of great PC games out there that I look forward to, but limiting yourself to a single platform is like limiting yourself to a single fruit. Why eat only strawberries, when you can try bannanas, mangos, and pine apples? I am planning to get all 3 eventually.

Firefox rules
Old 05-27-2006, 03:22 AM   #93
Game fanatic

Agreed. I think the most significant reason, for those who have seen the pleasures of console gaming, is price. Owning all systems, especially early on in their life cycles, is a tad expensive. Then again, you'll get all thre major systems for the price of a moderately-specced PC, so it's not like the PC is the cheap choice.
Old 05-27-2006, 03:32 AM   #94
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by oerhört
Then again, you'll get all thre major systems for the price of a moderately-specced PC, so it's not like the PC is the cheap choice.
Except the PC games are at least twice as cheap as the console ones to begin with, and their prices get much more reduced much faster. (At least here.)

Not to mention that it's getting increasingly difficult to function in today's world without a PC anyway, regardless whether you are a gamer or not.
Old 05-27-2006, 04:35 AM   #95

Ok, this is seriously off-topic, but my reasons for strongly favoring the PC platform...

1. Unlike consoles, the PC platform and PC games won't go obsolete in the foreseeable future. It might be take some effort to get some older games to work sometimes, though.
2. A PC can do everything a console can, plus a lot more.
3. PC games can look better than their console versions.
4. Many PC games can be modded.
5. Mouse and keyboard is the superior control mechanism in many cases...
6. ...and you CAN use a gamepad with your PC. I'm using an Xbox gamepad with a USB-adapter. Works great.

Stuff like having to upgrade my PC and PC gaming generally not being as easy as console gaming is not an issue for me personally. PC can be a nice hobby too. I, for example, am very much into "quiet computing" and I'm always trying to make the machine quieter and quieter.

I did buy an Xbox so I could play Jade Empire, but I'll never buy a console just to get to play one game again, because it's a waste of money. Either Bioware comes out with a ME PC port in the future or they won't, but I'm not getting a 360 just so I can play this game. The JE port is a good sign.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:36 PM   #96
merely human

All cutscenes are in-game, in-engine.

Has any other Xbox360 owner downloaded and viewed the HD gameplay video to Mass Effect? I lost count of how many times I watched it, I was mesmerized. I think this is one of the those few games whose graphics and technology are used to the best advantage possible in terms of gameplay and emotional immersiveness. The voice acting so far is very good. I can't see this one being experienced in older technology.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 08-22-2006 at 12:42 PM.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:45 PM   #97
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens

All cutscenes are in-game, in-engine.

Has any other Xbox360 owner downloaded and viewed the HD gameplay video to Mass Effect? I lost count of how many times I watched it, I was mesmerized. I think this is one of the those few games whose graphics and technology are used to the best advantage possible in terms of gameplay and emotional immersiveness. The voice acting so far is very good. I can't see this one being experienced in older technology.
Nope, I watched it on not HD. But I loved the way the dialog system works, very interesting and the gameplay looks very intense, specially for a RPG, Im so used to turn based RPGs, a tactical shooting RPG will do us good. Watch out Oblivion!
Old 08-22-2006, 12:46 PM   #98
Psychonaut

I saw it.

It's the kind of graphics and conversation system I would dream of seeing in an adventure, but never will.

Mass Effect is on my "Must Buy" list of 360 games.
Old 08-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #99
Psychonaut

P.s Anyone without a 360 that wants to see it can see it here

http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?fs=1&id=2211
Old 08-22-2006, 12:55 PM   #100
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva
Nope, I watched it on not HD. But I loved the way the dialog system works, very interesting and the gameplay looks very intense, specially for a RPG, Im so used to turn based RPGs, a tactical shooting RPG will do us good. Watch out Oblivion!
If I hadn't known I was watching it on an HDTV I would've sworn it was the actual game itself. That's how crisp and vivid it was. The real time dialog system looks promising. It seems, overall, to be what Bioware wanted KOTOR to be more like had the technology been on hand back then. I hope we'll have as much, if not more, freedom with this title.

That roguish looking character they created is f***ing hot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien
It's the kind of graphics and conversation system I would dream of seeing in an adventure, but never will.
Dream on, my friend. I got depressed just thinking how this engine would be perfect for the next Gabriel Knight game.