You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-10-2007, 06:22 PM   #261

Here's hoping the opponent AI in Mass Effect is a heck of a lot more... together... than Jade Empire's. If not, this could really fall apart if the AI remains so abysmal. That top screenshot looks tastey, but I'm not entirely convinced that Bioware can competently pull off an ACTION rpg (where the emphasis is on the action) yet.
Old 02-10-2007, 09:04 PM   #262
merely human

Well, I did have great fun with the combat in Jade Empire (I have the Limited Edition Xbox version). For the most part it was spot on, the controls were tight - not perfect, but quite efficient (not bad at all for Bioware's first attempt at it) to really get into the action. I loved fighting in various locales and with figuring out strategies in real time with all my different moves and skills. I only wish my teammate's A.I. were better able to coordinate with me and 'get smart' to how I fight for better teamwork. But overall it was well done.

I had read that the A.I. in Mass Effect will vary, not in levels, but in how the A.I. strategizes against you or with you. For example, one of your main enemies in the story, the Geth, seem to rely on physical proximity to beef up their intelligence. Thus the more there are of them and the closer they are together, the harder it is to defeat them. This is because they depend on 'putting all their heads together' to become more powerful, so it looks to be that an important strategy against them is to keep them as far apart from each other as possible.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-12-2007, 03:58 PM   #263
is not wierd

Sounds like Many-As-One....
Old 02-12-2007, 10:37 PM   #264

Send a message via ICQ to JemyM Send a message via MSN to JemyM

Bah. I heard there will be no PC version for this one either. Im tired of this crap.
Old 02-13-2007, 02:57 AM   #265
is not wierd

I guarantee that within a year or two it will be out on PC. But you're right - the whole Bioware Loves Microsoft thing is so not cute.
Old 02-13-2007, 09:38 AM   #266
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
I guarantee that within a year or two it will be out on PC. But you're right - the whole Bioware Loves Microsoft thing is so not cute.
It is for those who have 360s. And I'm sure they love the extra money Microsoft give them for being exclusive.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-13-2007, 11:12 AM   #267

Here's the second part of the mentioned interview on page 26:

http://interviews.teamxbox.com/xbox/...ect-Part-2/p1/

aries323
Old 02-13-2007, 02:38 PM   #268
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dasilva View Post
It is for those who have 360s. And I'm sure they love the extra money Microsoft give them for being exclusive.
Don't rub it in...
Old 02-13-2007, 04:16 PM   #269
merely human

I have a 360 and I can't wait for Mass Effect. I can't wait. Can't wait. Can't...

I mean, just take a look at it. On the 360. In high definition. On the 360. Only on the 360.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 02-13-2007, 05:02 PM   #270
Homer of Kittens

I am now officially platform agnostic TM I have realized that each platform has great games, and it's silly to deprive yourself of them just because of which platform they are on. Developers like Bioware, Epic and Insomniac are great regardless of which platforms they program for. The only platform I will probably be playing less games on is the PC, for the sole reason that I am not willing to spend another 2000 dollars to upgrade it

Firefox rules
Old 02-13-2007, 05:09 PM   #271
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soccsie View Post
I am now officially platform agnostic
That's because you're rich and can afford to have all three consoles.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:29 PM   #272
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
I am now officially platform agnostic TM I have realized that each platform has great games, and it's silly to deprive yourself of them just because of which platform they are on. Developers like Bioware, Epic and Insomniac are great regardless of which platforms they program for. The only platform I will probably be playing less games on is the PC, for the sole reason that I am not willing to spend another 2000 dollars to upgrade it
It's not a matter of favoritism, it's a matter of me not being able to afford consoles, much less a good PC.

I wanna play Mass Effect (fuck it, I'm a big Bioware even if they don't make pure RPGs), but I just won't be able to in the next four years unless I happen to know someone with a 360 that'll let me spend way too much time playing it, or unless I win a 360 in a contest, or unless I perform sexual favors for trep/silva.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:32 PM   #273
merely human

Eiw. That's gross.

Fine, you may play it on my 360, but stay away from me or Nanay'll kick yer ass.
Old 02-13-2007, 07:55 PM   #274
is not wierd

Alright! But the plane ticket would practically cost me a 360 anyways...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:36 PM   #275

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
I have a 360 and I can't wait for Mass Effect. I can't wait. Can't wait. Can't...

I mean, just take a look at it. On the 360. In high definition. On the 360. Only on the 360.

Aside from the crazy lighting, I really love that screenshot.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:39 PM   #276
merely human

I guess that shiny shiny shiny is now so 3 years ago and the newest in fashion is glowy glowy glowy.
Old 02-15-2007, 07:27 AM   #277

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
In another interview they explained Shepard acts the way he does (potentially, because players will decide how he will act) because the faith of the whole universe is at stake. These are not normal circumstances.

Yes, and this is, is to me, even more improbable and unlikely.

Shephard is a highly trained N7 elite commander (soldier) which must be supposed to have trained for these extreme circumstances. And in his
training he probably has learned how to keep his cool and his wits about
him --- in extreme circumstances such as these.

I doudbt that Shephard even would be promoted to commander IRL, if he doesn't know to properly react under extreme conditions, and the correct response is not to flaringly get angry and grab one of your team mate's collar.
The correct response is to as-sess the situation, stay cool, and rational, and use your (common) senses to plan ahead for the combat to come.

And to stay in touch with your team mates using insight into psychology and communication...
Old 02-15-2007, 08:28 AM   #278
gin soaked boy

As I said, you decide how he will react so feel free to play the way you think he should act. Me, I'm happy the game lets me play the way I want to.
Old 02-15-2007, 08:39 AM   #279
capsized.

Quote:
Originally Posted by insane_cobra View Post
In another interview they explained Shepard acts the way he does (potentially, because players will decide how he will act) because the faith of the whole universe is at stake. These are not normal circumstances.
For a video game, they're not only normal, they're terribly cliché, but that's another matter.
Old 02-15-2007, 09:51 AM   #280
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Yes, and this is, is to me, even more improbable and unlikely...
In KOTOR you had the choice to treat your teammates in a dignified way or to kick their asses. In Mass Effect you'll also be able to choose between being a respectful leader or a supreme jerk or any combination of the two.

The gameplay video SHOWS YOU JUST ONE WAY YOU MAY HANDLE THE SITUATION. You may choose to handle it another way.

Why are you so nitpicky about this? As cobsie emphatically stated YOU CAN CHOOSE HOW TO BE in the story. It is, after all, an RPG. That you'd be unwilling to suspend your disbelief is grounds for ruining the game for you.....long before you even start playing it.

Last edited by Intrepid Homoludens; 02-15-2007 at 09:58 AM.