You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-20-2007, 12:27 PM   #221

Umm games... most of the games I have for the original, I now have for the PC save for Jade Empire which will be out In February , of which I'll be getting BTW. There is Halo 2 Limited Edition and I sometimes play NHL 2K6 with friends and whatnot...

I might just keep mine for the time being.... oh and I just remembered while typing this, my brother-in-law might want this...
Old 01-21-2007, 01:39 PM   #222

Can anyone of you please explain to mw why all major developers seem to be going for cinematics looks in a videogame, and by that I mean that games
are looking more & more like interactive movies which could mean that the gameplay aspect of the game is toned a bit (or a lot).

I just don't understand this decision that seem to have the major game developers & publishers these days, including, but not limited to Bioware, of course...

The only reason for this move is the 'well, maybe if we make the game more like movies, then people won't say bad things about games anymore' thingie, or maybe it is the 'hey, every major movie studios is making games out of their actions hits. Now, the game devs./publishers are gonna do the opposite, well,then, maybe major film & movie studios will fund our games.'

Either way, my take on this is that games are games and really should be games. Games a totally different kind of experience than watching a movie.
I play games for fun, for the enjoyment & the thrill of thinking about how
a cleverly designed puzzle can be solved, if I play an adventure game.
If I play an rpg, I want to play as someone else, not as myself IN the game, meaning that if I want to play a thief I want to do just that, not be able to play as myself just immersed in another world. If I wanted do that I would go
on experiencing the greatest roleplaying experience: Life, IRL, it self.
Old 01-22-2007, 12:04 AM   #223
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
The only reason for this move is the 'well, maybe if we make the game more like movies, then people won't say bad things about games anymore' thingie, or maybe it is the 'hey, every major movie studios is making games out of their actions hits. Now, the game devs./publishers are gonna do the opposite, well,then, maybe major film & movie studios will fund our games.'
First of all, let me just say I agree that games shouldn't try to mimic movies just for the sake of it, I hate that. But making games more cinematic doesn't necessarily mean dumbing down the gameplay.

There are valid reasons for employing a number cinematic techniques in games and you can read more about some of them at the excellent Silicon Knights' blog (look for the entries written by Dr. Barry Grant).
Old 01-22-2007, 03:08 AM   #224
is not wierd

Man I hate when reviewers give a good score based on how "cinematic" a game is. The game industry has a complex with trying to become the next respected art form, I guess, which is fine and good but it should be on the merits of what makes a game unique, i.e. gameplay, than on cinematic aspects.
Old 01-22-2007, 08:09 PM   #225
Homer of Kittens

Soooooo when is Mass Effect going to be released I am craving some more Bioware goodness.

Firefox rules
Old 01-22-2007, 08:29 PM   #226
is not wierd

Well I just found out today that Bioware will be releasing at least one game for the DS. Old news, I know. Here's hoping for Infinity Engine remakes!
Old 01-23-2007, 12:00 PM   #227
gin soaked boy

This is supposed to be the official Mass Effect box art.

I don't know, I would've preferred a more minimalistic design, but they do have to sell this game so...
Old 01-23-2007, 12:26 PM   #228
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

Whats with the orange logo? I thought it was blue.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 01-23-2007, 12:44 PM   #229
gin soaked boy

Maybe we'll get a better cover for the European release.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:17 PM   #230
merely human

I think it's 'cause I'm so used to seeing the title in glowing blue that that orange version strikes me as odd. But what I'm wondering about is how they decided to not have the three characters carrying their weapons.

What would have been intriguingly effective is if they had made Shepard hold a weapon in one hand and have the other hand glow a bit, conveying his biotic powers. Other than that it's a fairly attractive looking cover.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2007, 02:01 PM   #231
is not wierd

It's too fucking symmetrical.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:08 PM   #232
merely human

Seems they went the safe route and used textbook design as their guide.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-23-2007, 02:21 PM   #233
Hitch-Hiker

Its about the game afterall, not the cover.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

Old 01-23-2007, 02:23 PM   #234
merely human

Hey, you're the one commenting on the logo colour.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:36 PM   #235
Hitch-Hiker

Yeah but I didn't swear about it!

_

Old 01-23-2007, 02:57 PM   #236
merely human

Doesn't matter. Too late!! You griped, griped, griped!!

< runs >
Old 01-24-2007, 12:04 PM   #237

Bioware maybe developing something for the PS3

It's just a rumour but if this is true it's a HUGE twist...
Old 01-24-2007, 12:26 PM   #238
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post
Bioware maybe developing something for the PS3

It's just a rumour but if this is true it's a HUGE twist...
That's awesome. It's great for consumers that Bioware is not only a one platform developer, and they are spreading the love to as many platforms as possible, including the DS

Firefox rules
Old 01-24-2007, 12:37 PM   #239
merely human

Soccsie, that's only because they need to make even more money now. Screw the love. The cost of developing AAA titles is skyrocketing (and we're all to blame) so multiplatforming is the way to go. Far, far more is at stake.

The same could be said about Io Interactive's upcoming title, Kane & Lynch: Dead Men, which was just announced to be possibly headed for the PS2, PS3, and PSP (no official announcement yet).
Old 01-24-2007, 02:04 PM   #240
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoccerDude28 View Post
That's awesome. It's great for consumers that Bioware is not only a one platform developer, and they are spreading the love to as many platforms as possible, including the DS
Fuck yea, but I hope the DS game isn't going to be some Mass Effect product. I don't care about that game except for the prettiness and the conversation mechanics.

Seriously, I have a good feeling they will be attempting to port Infinity games to the DS. And while I love new IPs, I think I'd appreciate DS Infinity games more than anything. Someone should also port the Fallout games to the DS, as well as Planescape. And SCUMM games while they're at it. And Grim Fandango. Basically, any PC game that I really liked from pre-2000.