You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-24-2007, 02:12 PM   #241
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spiwak View Post
And SCUMM games while they're at it.
You can already play Scumm games on the DS ScummVm DS though it is homebrew, so you'll need a separate card reader.

Firefox rules
Old 01-24-2007, 02:24 PM   #242
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilco View Post
Bioware maybe developing something for the PS3

It's just a rumour but if this is true it's a HUGE twist...
Not that huge, BioWare has developed for PS2 before (MDK2 Armageddon).

Anyway, in case the rumor is true, I predict it's that MMORPG and it's also coming to Xbox 360 and PC. Why? They already have 5 projects in the works (Mass Effect, Dragon Age, Jade Empire 2, the DS game and the said MMORPG), they have an excellent relationship with Microsoft and developing a PS3-only game doesn't seem to be making much business sense right now (unless Sony is coughing up for it and/or unless it's a huge franchise like FF or MGS).
Old 01-24-2007, 02:38 PM   #243
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobsie View Post
....and developing a PS3-only game doesn't seem to be making much business sense right now (unless Sony is coughing up for it...
Sony can actually afford to fund devs right now? I thought they were piss broke and that the profits from the PS2 are helping pay to patch the big hole in their pockets caused by the PS3 development.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-24-2007, 03:00 PM   #244
gin soaked boy

They're not doing that bad, but their current stance on third party exclusives is basically "most of them are not really worth the investment, we'll be focusing on pushing our first party titles".
Old 01-24-2007, 03:02 PM   #245
merely human

Quote:
Originally Posted by cobsie View Post
...their current stance on third party exclusives is basically "most of them are not really worth the investment, we'll be focusing on pushing our first party titles".
Oh snap.
platform: laptop, iPhone 3Gs | gaming: x360, PS3, psp, iPhone, wii | blog: a space alien | book: the moral landscape: how science can determine human values by sam harris | games: l.a.noire, portal 2, brink, dragon age 2, heavy rain | sites: NPR, skeptoid, gaygamer | music: ray lamontagne, adele, washed out, james blake | twitter: a_space_alien
Old 01-24-2007, 03:12 PM   #246
gin soaked boy

Yeah...
Old 01-24-2007, 03:13 PM   #247
merely human

In other words, they really aren't doing all that well to be able to afford exclusive third party deals. Interesting, they never felt that way about the GTA franchise before.

But as I stated before, we - gamers, developers, hardware manufacturers, publishers, etc. - have all contributed to the multiplatforming of the next gen games. The costs of the technology, man power, production, and marketing are all skyrocketing. The stakes are definitely higher.
Old 01-25-2007, 12:13 AM   #248
capsized.

So, apparently the folks at IGN published an interview with some Bioware folks regarding Mass Effect.

Quote:
IGN: So you just spoke about how you want players to feel that they're somebody special. We know that you take the role of Commander Shepard as the main character and I've read that you can create your own character and build him from the ground up. How do you manage to make this game where the two ideas co-exist, where you can create your own character and build your own persona an still fit him into this world and story where he is special?

Casey Hudson: Well it's an interesting balance and I think it's a different balance than anyone has ever done before in a role-playing game. I think typically role-playing games in the past have been more about creating a completely empty vessel that you then fill up with whatever choices that you make. And that can be really cool but it also kind of leaves out a little bit of the texture of what it's like to be someone specific or to have a specific spirit to an adventure. So if you think about some of the really great, memorable science fiction stories or even characters, like Captain Kirk or JACK BAUER.

So we created the persona of COMMANDER Shepard. And Commander Shepard is an N7 ELITE which is a member of the human military that really is among THE VERY BEST OF THE BEST and he's already PROVEN himself. And you can also, of course, create a female Commander Shepard. But because we give you a certain kind of experience which is that NOTHING IS GOING TO HOLD YOU BACK. You will do WHATEVER IT TAKES to solve your mission, to get through that door, to accomplish your objective. And you will GO TO THE EXTREMES to do that. That's really the essence of the experience of being Commander Shepard.
Quote:
Originally Posted by teh codex people :D
And no matter how big-shot-mighty-important-huge-penis your Captain Kirk is, I bet you still start off at level 1 killing spacerats under the spaceinn.
Cracked me up.
Old 02-01-2007, 04:16 PM   #249
Barroom hero

After being disappointed by the lack of depth of Jade Empire, I fear that Mass Effect will be more a FPS than a good RPG.
Hope I'll be wrong.
Old 02-09-2007, 12:19 AM   #250
merely human

I think IGN may have just added some more new screens.

Old 02-09-2007, 02:04 AM   #251

Hmmm --

I don't know about the FPS, though. I'm not that sure that it will be an FPS.
Reading Patrick Weekes' commentaries on this over at rpgwatch.com, I've been convinced that Mass Effect actually is an RPG. There is a story in the
game, the dialoques have choice & consequences, your actions in the game
have consequences, too.

The screenshots and the videos were made to attract what is called
the FPS crowd. However, this crowd is going to be disappointed when they discover that in Mass Effect, there also is a deep story. (or maybe plesantly surprised).

Maybe the RPG crowd thinks ME is an FPS, just because the combat in ME is done with guns, and rifles etc. and not swords, bows and such things as in the fantasy RPGs of the D&D universe.
Old 02-09-2007, 05:19 AM   #252
Hitch-Hiker

Send a message via MSN to Dasilva

OMG! These new screenshots look so much better than older screenshots, glad to know their still tweaking the graphics.

"If you don't get out of the box you've been raised in, you won't understand how much bigger the world is." - Angelina Jolie

_

<Susan falls through the floor and gets stuck>
<Paco looks at her blankly>
"Whats wrong with you?! Lassy would of had a firetruck here by now!"
- Susan Mayer, Desperate Housewives
Old 02-09-2007, 07:23 AM   #253
Barroom hero

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
Maybe the RPG crowd thinks ME is an FPS, just because the combat in ME is done with guns, and rifles etc. and not swords, bows and such things as in the fantasy RPGs of the D&D universe.
I guess this is more a question of action integration in the gameplay. I thought that the fights in Jade Empire were kind of dumb.
If I want a beat'em'all, I'll play God Of War.
I don't think that FallOut is less of a RPG because you use rifles
Old 02-09-2007, 09:22 AM   #254
merely human

Guys, it is NOT at all a FPS. It's all in third person. Think Gears of War. And yes, it's definitely an RPG, though not the kind that hardcore conservative RPG players may want to play. In that sense it's likely to be a little bit Jade Empire, a little bit KOTOR. The combat will be in real time; however, you can stop the action, plan strategies (with your character and your individual party members), then jump back into the action.
Old 02-09-2007, 06:28 PM   #255
Homer of Kittens

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intrepid Homoludens View Post
Guys, it is NOT at all a FPS. It's all in third person. Think Gears of War. And yes, it's definitely an RPG, though not the kind that hardcore conservative RPG players may want to play. In that sense it's likely to be a little bit Jade Empire, a little bit KOTOR. The combat will be in real time; however, you can stop the action, plan strategies (with your character and your individual party members), then jump back into the action.
Can't wait When is it going to be out Trepsie?

Firefox rules
Old 02-09-2007, 07:00 PM   #256
merely human

Gamespot has it slated for late May. I speculate it may suffer a delay and launch in June at least.
Old 02-10-2007, 10:13 AM   #257
gin soaked boy

The first part of the interview with Dr. Ray Muzyka from BioWare is up on TeamXbox. The rest will follow on Monday morning, together with information about some upcoming BioWare projects.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:42 PM   #258

This interview with Dr. Muzyka tells me that ME is going to be a very good game, and maybe even a good rpg, too.

The main story going for 40-50 hours alone ---- which then contains the in depth story line...

I'm not that worried about the dialoque system....

I'm more worried about the way Bioware portrays the soldier, the elite soldier, the leader, the commander, meaning the way Bioware portray Shephard as a leader.

There is NO way IRL that a commander leading a team would grab the collar of one of his team members. A commanding officer is usually picked since he understands the need to lead by example, not by force as well as understanding the need to lead by communication with his team members.
I know that many people have this misconception about soldier, but the truth is that at least the leading officers are highly trained both in psychology and
communications.
Old 02-10-2007, 12:46 PM   #259
is not wierd

Is it really that big of a deal?

This is a fictional setting, if you didn't notice.
Old 02-10-2007, 01:41 PM   #260
gin soaked boy

Quote:
Originally Posted by aries323 View Post
There is NO way IRL that a commander leading a team would grab the collar of one of his team members. A commanding officer is usually picked since he understands the need to lead by example, not by force as well as understanding the need to lead by communication with his team members.
I know that many people have this misconception about soldier, but the truth is that at least the leading officers are highly trained both in psychology and
communications.
In another interview they explained Shepard acts the way he does (potentially, because players will decide how he will act) because the faith of the whole universe is at stake. These are not normal circumstances.