You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Some interesting upcoming movies...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-22-2007, 02:43 PM   #181
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
The Seventh Seal has just got a re-release.
It's one of my alltime favourites.

Jöns is my favourite character.
Quote:
It's hell with women, and hell without. Best to kill them all while the fun lasts.
Old 07-22-2007, 06:56 PM   #182
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
The Seventh Seal has just got a re-release.

Personally I'd highly recommend this film which is deep and thoughtful but it may not be to everyone's taste. (No great action scenes or romance) Plus the whole thing is in Swedish (unless they've dubbed it for the re-release which would be an absolute travesty) which may be a factor for non-Swedes.
It has English subtitles (I double checked before plopping it on the Netflix queue). A large portion of my film viewing is foriegn films--without English subtitles, I'd be sunk.
Old 07-22-2007, 07:31 PM   #183
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zack View Post
I'm interested in these movies that are coming out either this fall or Christmas:

1. I am Legend: I have never seen the original I am Legend with Vincent Price, or even The Omega Man with Charleston Heston, but this honestly looks like it will be a very intense Science-Fiction Horror movie, and despite the negative reactions on the teaser trailer that I just read earlier, the movie does look creepy so far. Plus, it has the potential to be a hit with Will Smith's fans, which I am part of.
I read the book first, then saw the film and liked both. It's a story with great with potential for a great modern film (the last one is getting pretty long in the tooth). But Will Smith and (non-comedic) scifi don't wash for me. I, Robot did not work (again, for me). I keep on thinking he'll pull out a Men In Black blaster out.

Quote:
2. The Invasion: Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman both together in a 2007 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers.
What, again? Okay, the last remake had room for improvement.

Quote:
3. The Golden Compass: This looks really intriguing, almost like a Chronicles of Narnia type Fantasy film.
Hmm, Craig and Kidman again.

I just saw her last night in Dead Calm (a film I've seen in full before, but caught 20 minutes of it channel surfing before bed). I read today that this was her US debut (and you can tell how she worked on her accent since this film). She was stunning.

Quote:
4. The Water Horse-Legend of the Deep: I have a feeling that this is going to be a new version of E.T. for anyone who hasn't seen that famous film. Other than that, it looks like it will be a cute family film, and I like the way the Water Horse creature looks when he becomes fully grown.
Looks good. This looks like it will be quite different than E.T. though, more mythological, and not set in a modern Southern California suburb. Which is good.
Old 07-26-2007, 01:44 PM   #184
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

Oh My!

Wes Anderson's next movie has got a trailer out NOW!

http://www.apple.com/trailers/fox_se...eelinglimited/

I. Want. To. See. That. Immediately!
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-26-2007, 08:50 PM   #185

I thought Rushmore and Tenenbaums were really good movies, but his style of film making is something that can easily start to annoy me. Darjeeling doesn't look particularly interesting from the trailer, but then again, his movies don't translate well into trailer form.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:43 PM   #186
Psychonaut

Scrrenplay Written by Neil Gaiman

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/
Old 07-27-2007, 10:42 AM   #187
Retired Buccaneer

Some news from the set of Indiana Jones and the Mysterious Yet Oddly Familiar Crate:

Thank heavens they didn't ask Kate Capshaw back instead.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:06 PM   #188
The Thread™ will die.

Send a message via ICQ to RLacey Send a message via AIM to RLacey Send a message via MSN to RLacey Send a message via Yahoo to RLacey

Ooh. Funky.

I do not change to be perfect. Perfect changes to be me.

Old 07-27-2007, 06:50 PM   #189
The Major Grubert.

Cate Blanchett!!

And John Hurt as ... Abner Ravenwood!!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0367882/fullcredits#cast

psyched!
Old 07-28-2007, 06:16 PM   #190

Get Smart, starring Steve Carell.

Seems like a good choice for the role. I'm hoping they don't reuse too many tired jokes; the trailer had one good one at least.
Old 07-29-2007, 06:49 AM   #191
delusions of adequacy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
What is that 1-18-08? I hope it's not some crap Godzilla movie or some been there done that disaster movie?
The best theory I've heard is its a Lost tie-in. Maybe to get people to bother tuning in again for the last 3 seasons. With 'flash-forwards' showing cast members having escaped the island, why not some of the island mojo too?

I should clarify, I have seen approximately 2 and a half episodes of Lost so far (including the latest season finale)... and 1 of the 'catch up' shows. I know the 'monster' is some black smoke let-down but it can take on 'forms'... *shrug*.

It could just be a Blair Witch in new york deal. I'm not sure I could stomach another hour plus of shakey cam... the way that shit has invaded every new cooking show these days makes me want to smack cameramen whenever I see them. Its fucking hilarious that every new generation of digital camera touts brand new anti-shake doodads. They must have to fight tooth and nail with their cameras these days to get that 'authentic' handy-cam look.

/apols for side rant
Old 07-30-2007, 03:37 AM   #192
Dungeon Master

Quote:
Originally Posted by Henke View Post
Really? I didn't know that. But westerns from the 50's are usually not very good though.
Hmm. One could make the case for the 50s being actually the peak of the genre with High Noon, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, and yes, 3:10 to Yuma not that far behind those in terms of fame and quality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Not A Speck Of Cereal View Post
I just saw her last night in Dead Calm (a film I've seen in full before, but caught 20 minutes of it channel surfing before bed). I read today that this was her US debut (and you can tell how she worked on her accent since this film). She was stunning.
By "US debut", didn't they mean "the first film with her released in US", though? It was shot in Australia, most of the cast and crew was Australian (including Kidman, Sam Neill and Phillip Noyce), so I assumed her character was Australian, too.

And yes, Nicole's performance is very good. I used to think she had evolved from a so-so talented starlet to a very talented actress somehere around 2001, but then I've seen Dead Calm, and realized she always had it in herself.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:27 PM   #193
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
By "US debut", didn't they mean "the first film with her released in US", though?
I probably should have said "her major film breakthrough".

Quote:
And yes, Nicole's performance is very good. I used to think she had evolved from a so-so talented starlet to a very talented actress somehere around 2001, but then I've seen Dead Calm, and realized she always had it in herself.
I too didn't realize it until this recent viewing. Other good early films of hers are Far and Away and To Die For, but I didn't really appreciate her until Moulin Rouge! I'm now back-tracking her filmology in a bit of study.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:17 PM   #194
delusions of adequacy

I was really surprised when I heard Golden Compass was being made. I can't help but expect any of the sequels will suffer heavy re-writes. They tread on religious toes rather harshly.
Old 08-01-2007, 05:23 PM   #195
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21
Scrrenplay Written by Neil Gaiman

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/beowulf/
I wonder how true it will stay to the original Beowulf tale. BTW, it took me some time before I realised it was an animated movie.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATMachine
Some news from the set of Indiana Jones and the Mysterious Yet Oddly Familiar Crate:

Thank heavens they didn't ask Kate Capshaw back instead.
I agree, hopefully the new Indy-movie will be good or they'll fuck up my childhood. I had a crush on Karen Allen when I was 5.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AFGNCAAP View Post
Hmm. One could make the case for the 50s being actually the peak of the genre with High Noon, Rio Bravo, The Searchers, and yes, 3:10 to Yuma not that far behind those in terms of fame and quality.
I have seen High Noon but wasn't that impressed. The westerns had their peak with Sergio Leone IMO.
Old 08-01-2007, 07:32 PM   #196
OUATIJ Creator

I see this talk of Westerns, so I must throw in my 2 cents...

Best Western TV Series - Deadwood (by a mile)

Best Western Miniseries - Lonesome Dove (by a mile also)

Best Western Movie - The Wild Bunch is probably my favorite

Other Excellent Westerns -

Stagecoach (John Ford original)
Unforgiven
The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance
Once Upon a Time in the West
The Kid Brother (Harold Lloyd silent comedy)
The Good, the Bad, and the Ugly
Red River
The Searchers
Ride the High Country
My Darling Clementine
Rio Bravo
Shane
High Noon
Dances With Wolves
The Great Train Robbery (the first Western, made in 1903)
Old 08-02-2007, 10:27 AM   #197
The Reggienator

"Jack Black will star and produce The Lost Adventures of Stone Perlmutter Jr. for Universal Studios, says The Hollywood Reporter. The project comes from writers Peter Huyck and Alex Gregory.

"Perlmutter" is described as a faux documentary made from recently "discovered" footage from 1979 chronicling the disastrous journey of a self-styled Indiana Jones-type adventurer who traveled the world trying to find the Yeti, El Dorado, the lost tomb of Jesus and other great mysteries.

Black is attached to play Perlmutter and will produce via his Universal-based Electric Dynamite."

Now that sounds like a great Jack Black movie.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 08-02-2007, 08:17 PM   #198
The Major Grubert.

Default For Trekkies

EDIT : Article contains spoilers for Heroes.

The new Star Trek, the new Spock:

Last edited by stepurhan; 08-05-2007 at 12:19 PM. Reason: Spoiler for Heroes.
Old 08-04-2007, 11:56 PM   #199

Default Serenity fans

BREAKING NEWS: Joss confirms that strong sales of the new Collector's Edition DVD could bring a Serenity sequel, I for one am keeping my fingers
crossed.
Old 08-05-2007, 12:33 AM   #200
The Reggienator

Now that is absolutely great news.

I really hope that there could be a sequel, but that sounds almost too good to be true.