You are viewing an archived version of the site which is no longer maintained.
Go to the current live site or the Adventure Gamers forums
Adventure Gamers

Home Adventure Forums Misc. Chit Chat Some interesting upcoming movies...

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-26-2007, 10:30 AM   #161

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Will Smith - Last man on earth?

Teaser Trailer up for the "I am Legend" movie.

http://trailers.apple.com/trailers/wb/iamlegend/

Looks cool.

Deserted New York reminds me of 28 days later.

So first Vincent Price (The Last Man on Earth), second Charlton Heston (Omega Man) and now Will Smith tries to do justice to the Horror classic.

Looking forward to this.
Very dissapointing, I Am Legend is probably one of the best horror/survival tales ever written, and here they turn it into anther blockbuster piece of sh$t.
Old 06-27-2007, 06:59 PM   #162
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplaneswalker View Post
Very dissapointing, I Am Legend is probably one of the best horror/survival tales ever written, and here they turn it into anther blockbuster piece of sh$t.
You've seen it then?
Old 06-27-2007, 09:09 PM   #163

Just watch the trailer, that should say enough :p
Old 06-27-2007, 10:12 PM   #164

It didn't really say anything in my opinion. It seemed more like a teaser.
Old 06-28-2007, 06:35 AM   #165
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomplaneswalker View Post
What's wrong with blockbusters? Not here too bash or anything, it's just that I love big ass, pretentious blockbuster movies

Ahhh, I fondly remember the Titanic period and the comments of some friends of mine.

[Bobske's male friends]Whoa man Titanic is great, go see it! Yeah it has some kind of love story in it but still, the movie is wicked!

7 months later...

What the movie is doing how great? What a crappy movie! Chick flick, blockbuster bitch, sappy crap! Titanic? Worst movie evah![/Bobske's male friends]

I love my friends

Last edited by Bobske; 06-28-2007 at 06:41 AM.
Old 06-28-2007, 12:38 PM   #166
Freeware Co-ordinator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
What's wrong with blockbusters? Not here too bash or anything, it's just that I love big ass, pretentious blockbuster movies
I love a good blockbuster as much as the next man. (I have several in my DVD collection) but blockbuster-makers too often take good stories and rip out all that made the original good.

Case in point. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. As a blockbuster film it's actually very enjoyable. Unfortunately it supposedly takes its inspiration from this (not fully read the article but a quick skim shows the basics are accurate)

Alan Quatermain an opium addict. Mr Hyde and the Invisible Man both vicious psychopaths. Wilhelmina Murray (as opposed to Harker, she's readopted her maiden name) being a woman with a past involving an incident with a foreign gentleman instead of being a vampire. No sign of Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray. Is this the same story? Quite patently not but the film is supposed to be based on this. Why if you're not even going to maintain the characters?

This is what annoys me about blockbusters based on other sources. They take the smallest kernel of the original and throw the rest away. (Don't get me started on films based on Philip K Dick stories) My plea to the big film makers. Keep blockbustering away and I'll keep watching them but please can you avoid converting things you won't keep remotely faithful to.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree
Old 06-28-2007, 05:44 PM   #167

There Will Be Blood

A new P.T. Anderson movie. I'm not a fan of Old West settings, but this seems interesting.
Old 06-29-2007, 02:27 AM   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
I love a good blockbuster as much as the next man. (I have several in my DVD collection) but blockbuster-makers too often take good stories and rip out all that made the original good.

Case in point. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen. As a blockbuster film it's actually very enjoyable. Unfortunately it supposedly takes its inspiration from this (not fully read the article but a quick skim shows the basics are accurate)

Alan Quatermain an opium addict. Mr Hyde and the Invisible Man both vicious psychopaths. Wilhelmina Murray (as opposed to Harker, she's readopted her maiden name) being a woman with a past involving an incident with a foreign gentleman instead of being a vampire. No sign of Tom Sawyer and Dorian Gray. Is this the same story? Quite patently not but the film is supposed to be based on this. Why if you're not even going to maintain the characters?

This is what annoys me about blockbusters based on other sources. They take the smallest kernel of the original and throw the rest away. (Don't get me started on films based on Philip K Dick stories) My plea to the big film makers. Keep blockbustering away and I'll keep watching them but please can you avoid converting things you won't keep remotely faithful to.
This is basicly the way my comment should be interpreted as well. I have nothing against blockbusters per se, I was just extremely dissapointed to see that my fears were justified about this project (which were great indeed from the moment Will Smith was announced as the main protagonist).

Matheson is one of the greatest horror writers ever (and I am legend a bit his magnus opus) and the best about this story was the grueling psychological struggle of the main character with his surroundings (which seem to be very much different from the story judging from the trailer.

You can judge for yourself after reading the wikipage

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/I_Am_Legend

The main problem I have (I'm a filmmaker myself) with blockbusters these days is that nobody has the guts to make a risky movie anymore (which a real 'I am legend' would be). Now what we'll get is a 28 days later lite mixed with a resident evil sauce :p. Hey I could be mistaken (nobody hopes this more than me), but from the atmosphere of the trailer (or teaser if you will) doesn't bode well IMO
Old 07-01-2007, 07:25 PM   #169
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobske View Post
Ahhh, I fondly remember the Titanic period and the comments of some friends of mine.
More to the point, there are several genres of film type, and they all have their winners and losers. In the film critic world, some people will automatically assume that a blockbuster will be an empty container of eye candy, and they would often be wrong.

Some independent film festival showings suck too, s'all I'm saying.
Old 07-02-2007, 04:02 AM   #170
Biomechanoid

Send a message via MSN to Bobske

Quote:
Originally Posted by stepurhan View Post
This is what annoys me about blockbusters based on other sources. They take the smallest kernel of the original and throw the rest away.
I do agree with you guys!

And indeed, not many want to do the risky movies...

+ there are soooo many crappy script writers out there who don't seem to have a clue on how to adapt the source material. Just take a look at the current game and comic adaptations. Most comics have better stories than their movie counterparts...

You can say what you will about the movie Silent Hill but Christophe Gans knew how to the game to the big screen. Wish I could say the same for AVP, RE, X-Men movies, FF etc etc...

Don't get me started on LXG!

BTW Risky movie: Mysterious Skin. Come out around the same time as Brokeback Mountain if I'm correct.

Everybody was talking about the gay love scenes from BBM but I have to say the gay "love"/rape/child abuse scenes in MS were far more disturbing/realistic...
Old 07-09-2007, 02:19 PM   #171
Psychonaut

http://www.apple.com/trailers/paramount/11808/

1-18-08

Last edited by Lucien21; 07-09-2007 at 11:06 PM.
Old 07-09-2007, 08:45 PM   #172
The Major Grubert.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucien21 View Post
Cannot view on WinXP with the latest Quicktime installed.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:07 PM   #173
Psychonaut

Try it now.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:39 AM   #174
is not wierd

Quote:
Originally Posted by lumi View Post
There Will Be Blood

A new P.T. Anderson movie. I'm not a fan of Old West settings, but this seems interesting.
You're telling me. I've been following that movie for the last couple years.
Old 07-10-2007, 01:11 PM   #175
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

What is that 1-18-08? I hope it's not some crap Godzilla movie or some been there done that disaster movie?

Sometimes J.J. Abrams can surprise people, hopefully this is one of those times. The trailer sure got my attention.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-15-2007, 11:58 AM   #176
Headbanger

There are a lot of new trailers on apple.com and some seem rather interesting actually IMO. 10 000 BC, 30 Days of Night, Into the Wild, 1408, 3:10 to Yuma and "This is England" among others.

Last edited by Henke; 07-15-2007 at 12:04 PM.
Old 07-16-2007, 12:35 PM   #177
The Reggienator

Send a message via ICQ to Kolzig Send a message via MSN to Kolzig

3:10 to Yuma I definitely want to see as soon as it's released!

Looks amazing, even though it's a remake of a 50's western.
"The old standby, that never got old in the first place. We come back to them weekly, nightly, for hours at a time--and they always deliver. They are pure, timeless, and often taken for granted." - Nick Breckon - Shacknews

My gamesale list *updated 26.8.2007*
Hey, dear people please buy my games, I need money to conquer Europe! Or do something similar.
Old 07-21-2007, 04:15 AM   #178
Headbanger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kolzig View Post
3:10 to Yuma I definitely want to see as soon as it's released!

Looks amazing, even though it's a remake of a 50's western.
Really? I didn't know that. But westerns from the 50's are usually not very good though.
Old 07-21-2007, 07:34 PM   #179

I'm interested in these movies that are coming out either this fall or Christmas:

1. I am Legend: I have never seen the original I am Legend with Vincent Price, or even The Omega Man with Charleston Heston, but this honestly looks like it will be a very intense Science-Fiction Horror movie, and despite the negative reactions on the teaser trailer that I just read earlier, the movie does look creepy so far. Plus, it has the potential to be a hit with Will Smith's fans, which I am part of.

2. The Invasion: Daniel Craig and Nicole Kidman both together in a 2007 remake of Invasion of the Body Snatchers. Definitely looking forward to this.

3. The Golden Compass: This looks really intriguing, almost like a Chronicles of Narnia type Fantasy film.

4. The Water Horse-Legend of the Deep: I have a feeling that this is going to be a new version of E.T. for anyone who hasn't seen that famous film. Other than that, it looks like it will be a cute family film, and I like the way the Water Horse creature looks when he becomes fully grown.

5. 3:10 to Yuma: Christian Bale and Russell Crowe star together in a new Western movie, and it looks exciting and dramatic.

6. Gone Baby Gone: I'm anxious to see how Ben Affleck does with his directorial debut. He's got a really good cast, and it looks so powerful and dramatic.

7. American Gangster: Denzel Washington is one of my favorite actors, and that's the main reason why I'm excited about this new Crime Drama. Plus, Russell Crowe plays his adversary in the movie.
Old 07-22-2007, 12:49 PM   #180
Freeware Co-ordinator

The Seventh Seal has just got a re-release.

Personally I'd highly recommend this film which is deep and thoughtful but it may not be to everyone's taste. (No great action scenes or romance) Plus the whole thing is in Swedish (unless they've dubbed it for the re-release which would be an absolute travesty) which may be a factor for non-Swedes.
No Nonsense Nonsonnets #43

Cold Topic

A thread most controversial, that’s what I want to start
Full of impassioned arguments, of posting from the heart
And for this stimulation all will be thankful to me
On come on everybody it won’t work if you agree